Time Limits in Sightseer Lounge?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BethChicago

Train Attendant
We're heading out from Chicago to Grand Junction, Colorado in late April on the California Zephyr. 27 hours (if we're lucky), in coach, with our 4 & 5 year old boys.

I'm wondering if we need to get up to the Sightseer Lounge early in order to grab spots up there. I'm guessing that the Chicago-Denver leg of the trip won't be as good for sight-seeing as the Denver - Grand Junction leg, which I hear is just beautiful. We're so excited! Anyway, so I'm guessing the Sightseer Lounge will be busier west of Denver.

So we want to get a good spot to see the sights, but we also don't want to "hog" seats! Are there folks that go and "camp out" all day? Is there a general expectation of staying for an hour or two and then moving on? Or maybe you stay until it fills up and then just sense if others are hovering, looking for a spot? Want to be a nice co-traveler with my fellow trainmates!

Thanks!

Beth

We're heading out from Chicago to Grand Junction, Colorado in late April on the California Zephyr. 27 hours (if we're lucky), in coach, with our 4 & 5 year old boys.

I'm wondering if we need to get up to the Sightseer Lounge early in order to grab spots up there. I'm guessing that the Chicago-Denver leg of the trip won't be as good for sight-seeing as the Denver - Grand Junction leg, which I hear is just beautiful. We're so excited! Anyway, so I'm guessing the Sightseer Lounge will be busier west of Denver.

So we want to get a good spot to see the sights, but we also don't want to "hog" seats! Are there folks that go and "camp out" all day? Is there a general expectation of staying for an hour or two and then moving on? Or maybe you stay until it fills up and then just sense if others are hovering, looking for a spot? Want to be a nice co-traveler with my fellow trainmates!

Thanks!

Beth
There isn't any real expectation to move after x amount of time. You'll find it fills up for scenic parts and clears out somwhat in the not-so-scenic parts. For the CZ, I'd get to the lounge before leaving Denver, because that climb up the Front Range is one of the highlights of the trip, and it will definitely fill up.

The only real "politeness" rule is don't hold seats when the folks you are holding them for are gone for longer than a quick trip to restroom or downstairs to get a snack or beverage.

Sounds like a fun trip! You'll probably want to head toward the SSL as the train is pulling into Denver and grab a table as folks get up to depart or stretch their legs or clog up their lungs. So long as you're still awake and enjoying the experience you're free to stay as long as you like! It's only the folks who try to hold their seats with nothing but knickknacks and backpacks who sometimes find their stuff shoved into a corner and their seats returned to their original purpose. :lol:

>>Or maybe you stay until it fills up and then just sense if others are hovering, looking for a spot? <<

Sounds about right...

Beth, The lounge on the CZ will fill up shortly after you leave Denver and will stay full until after Glenwood Springs.

Denver is a long station stop and most crews will awaken the SSL sleepers and ask them back to thier seats prior to Denver. Many passengers originating in Denver will move to the SSL as soon as there seats are assigned and tickets lifted. So if you want a seat in the SSL I would advise moving during the Denver stop. Don't worry about a time limit, but understand that if you vacate a seat it probably won't be empty when you return.

I've always tried to free up a seat if I have been in there for over 1 hour and I notice people coming in to sit only to go back out and leave if there's no seats available. Is that a rule? No but its just what I do. I have seen people sit in there for 8 hours and take up two seats instead of one and its those kinds of folks I would like to smack upside the head. Enjoy your trip!

I've always tried to free up a seat if I have been in there for over 1 hour and I notice people coming in to sit only to go back out and leave if there's no seats available. Is that a rule? No but its just what I do. I have seen people sit in there for 8 hours and take up two seats instead of one and its those kinds of folks I would like to smack upside the head. Enjoy your trip!
This conversation is reminiscint of the discussion on Cruise Critic of "lounge chair hogs" around the lido pool on a cruise ship. :D

I recall riding the Rio Grande Zephyr back in the '70's, and remember one chair car attendant who would politely ask anyone in the Vista-Dome that was reading or napping to kindly return to their regular seats so that those waiting to enjoy the scenery could have a chance to enjoy the spectacular sights. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
This conversation is reminiscint of the discussion on Cruise Critic of "lounge chair hogs" around the lido pool on a cruise ship. :D

I recall riding the Rio Grande Zephyr back in the '70's, and remember one chair car attendant who would politely ask anyone in the Vista-Dome that was reading or napping to kindly return to their regular seats so that those waiting to enjoy the scenery could have a chance to enjoy the spectacular sights. :cool:
On a few LD trains an announcement was made to advise the pax to show consideration for others who also want to spend time there..

My worst experience was in the dome lounge of the Canadian when these two women brought their little kids up with them and proceeded to play games, loud ones, banging on the seat tables and shreeking until finaly passnegers just started leaving one by one as they couldn't take any more. I left too. Fortunately on the Canadian there were two more dome cars to choose from. I just went back to my room for a while until they got tired and left.

Quite frankly, you could stay in coach and still have a magnificent view out either side of the car......

Quite frankly, you could stay in coach and still have a magnificent view out either side of the car......
Yes, you can but the windows are much smaller, the high back seats obscure a good bit of the view, not to mention the curtains....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back