Is it worth going Cross Country in Coach or Roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Traingeek

Train Attendant
I am thinking about taking the train from Baltimore, MD to Reno, Nevada in 2011 for the World Science Fiction Con one way. I will have the 10,000 AGR points for a coach. It is also three days in coach (Leave Sunday-Get to Reno Wednesday morning). I am seeing some point offers for 30,000 free points on AGR CC, which would get me to 35 K for Roomette. Am I just better off to use the points for Coach or to see if I can get the card to be able to get the upgrade? I really don't want to add to CC debt this year for a variety of reasons. Thanks for your thoughts.

Should have no trouble unless you got like a back or neck issues.

And the food cost, yea, its not cheap but it shouldnt break your wallet.

I did NYP-CHI-LA via SWC, and 2 months later LAX-PDX-CHI-NYP via The Cardinal. All coach. No issues at all. Slept quite reasonably.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking about taking the train from Baltimore, MD to Reno, Nevada in 2011 for the World Science Fiction Con one way. I will have the 10,000 AGR points for a coach. It is also three days in coach (Leave Sunday-Get to Reno Wednesday morning). I am seeing some point offers for 30,000 free points on AGR CC, which would get me to 35 K for Roomette. Am I just better off to use the points for Coach or to see if I can get the card to be able to get the upgrade? I really don't want to add to CC debt this year for a variety of reasons. Thanks for your thoughts.
Apply for the card. If you get it, then book the roomette with your bonus points. I've tried just 1 night in coach a few times and find it a miserable experience if I have to attempt to sleep there. My 20 yr old bf just took coach from LA to PDX and had a miserable time. Not only could he not sleep in those seats, but he also had his camera stolen while he was in the restroom. Trust me, you will not regret getting the roomette. And best of all, since it's a 3 day trip, sleepers have showers. Coaches do not.

That should be three days, two nights-- correct? Book your second night in a roomette. It will be cheaper (point wise versus buying the whole trip). Using AGR borders you could pay from BAL to DEN and then DEN to RNO, which would be an easy transfer since DEN is a longer stop than most. You'd get dinner and breakfast, access to a shower and a night to sleep in private. If you aren't sure if you'd be able to do coach all the way-- don't ask us. Err on the side of caution, you wouldn't want it to ruin your trip. At least then you would be much more comfortable for one night.

As it would only cost 15,000 points, you can earn those by shopping with the AGR website, partner points, or rail travel.

Should you apply for the credit card? Maybe. I certainly wouldn't do it unless I was a frequent Amtrak traveller and have the credit history to back it up. Remember every time you apply for a credit card that is a hard ping on your report, too many of those in a year may lower your score. And if you don't get the card-- tough. You're stuck with that ping anyway.

Generally since 2008 the cards have been harder to come by... where decent to average credit would have gotten one of these cards before now you need above average credit.

A credit card is a financial decision that will follow you for years, don't make the decision lightly.

Enjoy your trip.

Just because you get a credit card doesn't mean you have to use it.....put 5 bucks or so a month on it and pay it off every month....take advantage of the bonus miles..... :p

Just because you get a credit card doesn't mean you have to use it.....put 5 bucks or so a month on it and pay it off every month....take advantage of the bonus miles..... :p
I believe the minimum purchase clause to gain the bonus points stipulates you must buy $200 in your first month (somebody correct me on the T&C).

Furthermore if a better card comes along in the future (non-Amtrak related) you may not be able to get it because you have an open account that counts towards your borrowing limit.

I believe the minimum purchase clause to gain the bonus points stipulates you must buy $200 in your first month (somebody correct me on the T&C).

Furthermore if a better card comes along in the future (non-Amtrak related) you may not be able to get it because you have an open account that counts towards your borrowing limit.
I looked at the terms and you don't have to buy $200, but you have to buy something. I would probably just buy an Amtrak ticket, if I did it.

Also, ALC_Rail_Writer, it is four days and three nights. The Denver change to a Free Roomette is doable. It would give me a free night in a sleeper, which would be appreciated because it is the night before the con.

Sorry, in my above post I'd said you'd get breakfast and dinner. You'd actually get lunch, dinner and breakfast (maybe breakfast at DEN too)

Get the roomette. Coach can be very miserable. I have never been in a sleeper and been miserable, I have been in coach enough to know that you NEVER know who's going to board beside you and if they like to yap, yap, yap on thier cellphone for the whole friggin' trip!

I would get the roomette ... For a multi day trip, its worth the extra cost. AGR credit card ftw. (I just got mine!
cool.gif
)

Get the sleeper. One night is okay, but three nights? You get three meals a day and access to a shower. Like others have said you don't know who'll be next to.

I'd say, go for the AGR credit card! I use mine for everything, but especially "luxuries" like gas and food, and "necessities" such as Amtrak travel
mosking.gif
- and I earn 1,000 to 2,000 AGR points a months!
cool.gif
And most without even setting foot on a train!
biggrin.gif

Switching at Toledo would be a better use of points. The difference between a one and two zone roomette is only 5K. That is another night plus a good bit of daytime travel plus lounge access in Chicago for only 33% more.

You can just buy the needed 10K points.

Get the roomette. Coach can be very miserable. I have never been in a sleeper and been miserable, I have been in coach enough to know that you NEVER know who's going to board beside you and if they like to yap, yap, yap on thier cellphone for the whole friggin' trip!
Which is why god invented the sightseer or the lounge car. I hand out and slept in Superliner sightseer car when I was on the Empire Builder.

coach is a ton better with a companion , but depending on when you book, you might also be able to get a seat row for yourself, and then it isn't too bad at all. But.. YMMV (your mileage may vary)

I'd say, go for the AGR credit card! I use mine for everything, but especially "luxuries" like gas and food, and "necessities" such as Amtrak travel
mosking.gif
- and I earn 1,000 to 2,000 AGR points a months!
cool.gif
And most without even setting foot on a train!
biggrin.gif
That's what I do too. If I have to spend money on something, I try to put it on my AGR card. I even set up some of my other bills for auto payment on the card. I had been waiting to get a new bed, but as soon as I got my card I went and got a new one (a Tempurpedic) and charged it on the card. When I signed up, the promo was 18000 pts with first purchase and another 18000 if you spent $2000 in the first 3 months. Thanks to the bed, got all my bonus points the first month! :) So far I've cashed in points for 2 1-zone bedrooms and I still have enough left over for a roomette.

Which is why god invented the sightseer or the lounge car. I han(g) out and slept in Superliner sightseer car when I was on the Empire Builder.
So you're one of the "Lounge Lizards" that we complain about!
mad.gif
You bought a seat, so why not use it to sleep?
huh.gif

Believe it or not, some passengers enjoy going into the Sightseer at night to look out the windows. But they can't find a seat because they're all "occupied" by Lounge Lizards, or the Lizards have their arms and/or legs in the aisle or are using more than 1 seat "to stretch out" - and then get upset if you accidently wake them!
wink.gif

Which is why god invented the sightseer or the lounge car. I han(g) out and slept in Superliner sightseer car when I was on the Empire Builder.
So you're one of the "Lounge Lizards" that we complain about!
mad.gif
You bought a seat, so why not use it to sleep?
huh.gif

Believe it or not, some passengers enjoy going into the Sightseer at night to look out the windows. But they can't find a seat because they're all "occupied" by Lounge Lizards, or the Lizards have their arms and/or legs in the aisle or are using more than 1 seat "to stretch out" - and then get upset if you accidently wake them!
wink.gif
Believe me, theres no one in the sightseer cars at night. At least not when I rode it.

Dave, let's not start this topic again. You and I have both been over this argument with this unrepentant safety risk.

If you dont want a new`credit card (even though I swear by my AGR CC and charge everything I can on it but pay it off every month) -- why dont you buy 10K points? That way you'll have 20,000 points to your name and can atleast go from the east coast to Denver in a roomette (2 out of the 3 nights) and see if you like it. You can always go coach the last night and if you cant sleep too well atleast you can crash in Reno when you get in around 10AM.

It would be worth it for $275 for the 2 nights in a sleeper... that's just $137.50 a day and that includes a roomette and 3 meals.

Just my thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back