Texas Eagle-Dallas to Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Gal

Train Attendant
I use to travel a lot by train in the 90's with my mother and 2 children. We always booked a bedroom, family room or 2 roomettes. If we booked 2 roomettes we always got them across the hall from each other so we can enjoy the view from both sides. Also we could enjoy the view on both side with the other rooms mentioned.

My husband and I just booked a round trip vacation from Dallas to Chicago. We booked a roomette both ways.

Train: 422 Texas Eagle

Departure: Dallas, Texas

Roomette 9 In Car 2230

On the return:

Train: 421 Texas Eagle

Departure: Chicago, Illinois

Roomette 6 In Car 2130

Here is my question. I noticed that the rooms are on opposite sides but was wondering if they turn the trains around on the return. If so we would have the same view both ways. Or is it random on how they line up the trains? I hope my question makes sense. :blush:

All in all it really doesn't matter. We will enjoy our trip no matter what! No such thing as a bad train trip in my opinion. I always go with the flow even if there are delays, etc. :D We are just curious if anyone knows how the trains line up.

Also, this is my husbands first train trip. I hope he gets hooked like I am!

Here is my question. I noticed that the rooms are on opposite sides but was wondering if they turn the trains around on the return. If so we could have the same view both ways. Or is it random on how they line up the trains? I hope my question makes sense.
blush.gif

All in all it really doesn't matter. We will enjoy our trip no matter what! No such thing as a bad train trip in my opinion. I always go with the flow even if there are delays, etc.
biggrin.gif
We are just curious if anyone knows how the trains line up.
It is random.

The TE becomes the CONO in Chicago and visa versa.

Here is my question. I noticed that the rooms are on opposite sides but was wondering if they turn the trains around on the return. If so we could have the same view both ways. Or is it random on how they line up the trains? I hope my question makes sense.
blush.gif

All in all it really doesn't matter. We will enjoy our trip no matter what! No such thing as a bad train trip in my opinion. I always go with the flow even if there are delays, etc.
biggrin.gif
We are just curious if anyone knows how the trains line up.
It is random.

The TE becomes the CONO in Chicago and visa versa.
Thanks for your reply! :D

Normally I'd say just request whatever side you want as you're boarding but recently seeing the packed trains and a packed Union Station in Chicago I'm assuming it won't be quite as easy to move people around as before. On the plus side you'll be at the logical terminus on the way back, so just take whatever side you get in Dallas and then politely inquire as to which side you'll be on when you're arriving back at Union Station for the trip home and request a change if necessary. If the staff are too busy or you encounter any static maybe ask the conductor or SCA instead. Or, just head to the lounge and see both sides at the same time. :)

I use to travel a lot by train in the 90's with my mother and 2 children. We always booked a bedroom, family room or 2 roomettes. If we booked 2 roomettes we always got them across the hall from each other so we can enjoy the view from both sides. Also we could enjoy the view on both side with the other rooms mentioned.

My husband and I just booked a round trip vacation from Dallas to Chicago. We booked a roomette both ways.

Roomette 9 In Car 2230

On the return:

Roomette 6 In Car 2130

Here is my question. I noticed that the rooms are on opposite sides but was wondering if they turn the trains around on the return. If so we would have the same view both ways. Or is it random on how they line up the trains? I hope my question makes sense. :blush:

A
Check out the sleeper layout on amtrak.com or in the National schedule or Vacation guide. Roomette #9 is next to the sliding door on the end of the main sleeper on the TE (the transition/crew door also sells afew rooms to revenue pax and is next to the engine in front of your car), the diner (CCC actually) will be the car behind you and the Sightseer Lounge (or another CCC as substitute if yall are un lucky will be behind that, then 2-3 coaches @ the rear of the train). On the way back roomette #6 is in the middle of the car with the same consist (the way the cars are set up). IMO the view to the left side of the train (facing the engine going up/reverse coming back)is the "good scenery", but you can see out both sides from the lounge! Some people are bothered by the door closing/opening in room #9 when it is in the back of the sleeper an d it is over the wheels so it does ride a little rougher but #6 is really good, it's almost in the middle and a little ways from the bathroom/coffee stand but still close to everything! Enjoy the trip, BTW sleeping up top is not a picnic, if your husband is large I'd suggest letting him sleep on the bottom, you take the top, perhaps trade off on the way back??The bottom is a little snug for 2 in a roomette but it can be interesting for those into intimacy! ;)

I am probably going to sound stupid here, but how can I find out which roomette I'm going to have?
If you already made your reservation you should have gotten an e-mail from Amtrak confirming your reservation. If you print it youll have your car and room #. If you havent yet made your reservation, call instead of going on line and request a specific room, not certain youll get it but you can ask! If youve done your rez on-line you wont have any choice, once you get your e-mail youll have to call back to get a switch if one is available?(remember different rooms have different prices known as buckets!)If you are not sure about how the sleeping cars are layed out check @ amtrak.com or look in the national sched or Amtrak Vacation brochure!

Roomette 9 In Car 2230

On the return:

Roomette 6 In Car 2130

A
Check out the sleeper layout on amtrak.com or in the National schedule or Vacation guide. Roomette #9 is next to the sliding door on the end of the main sleeper on the TE (the transition/crew door also sells afew rooms to revenue pax and is next to the engine in front of your car), the diner (CCC actually) will be the car behind you and the Sightseer Lounge (or another CCC as substitute if yall are un lucky will be behind that, then 2-3 coaches @ the rear of the train). On the way back roomette #6 is in the middle of the car with the same consist (the way the cars are set up). IMO the view to the left side of the train (facing the engine going up/reverse coming back)is the "good scenery", but you can see out both sides from the lounge! Some people are bothered by the door closing/opening in room #9 when it is in the back of the sleeper an d it is over the wheels so it does ride a little rougher but #6 is really good, it's almost in the middle and a little ways from the bathroom/coffee stand but still close to everything! Enjoy the trip, BTW sleeping up top is not a picnic, if your husband is large I'd suggest letting him sleep on the bottom, you take the top, perhaps trade off on the way back??The bottom is a little snug for 2 in a roomette but it can be interesting for those into intimacy! ;)
Thanks for the info!

We are both thin and he is 6'4". I am tall as well but not as tall as him so he will for sure have to sleep on the bottom bunk! ;) Comfort has never been an issue with me on the train and I have slept on the top bunk numerous times comfortably. I have had the room near the door before and had no issues of being bothered with the door opening and closing. I can say I am a happy traveler and adapt to almost any situation during travel. I cannot fall asleep in a chair but as long as I can lay in a bed I am good.

Normally I'd say just request whatever side you want as you're boarding but recently seeing the packed trains and a packed Union Station in Chicago I'm assuming it won't be quite as easy to move people around as before. On the plus side you'll be at the logical terminus on the way back, so just take whatever side you get in Dallas and then politely inquire as to which side you'll be on when you're arriving back at Union Station for the trip home and request a change if necessary. If the staff are too busy or you encounter any static maybe ask the conductor or SCA instead. Or, just head to the lounge and see both sides at the same time. :)
I will see how it goes when we are on our return trip. If the rooms are not all sold out I might inquire about it but it's really not a big issue if we have the same scenery coming back. The lounge car is a great place to visit if we want to see other scenery! We will enjoy our time on the train. Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am probably going to sound stupid here, but how can I find out which roomette I'm going to have?
If you already made your reservation you should have gotten an e-mail from Amtrak confirming your reservation. If you print it youll have your car and room #. If you havent yet made your reservation, call instead of going on line and request a specific room, not certain youll get it but you can ask! If youve done your rez on-line you wont have any choice, once you get your e-mail youll have to call back to get a switch if one is available?(remember different rooms have different prices known as buckets!)If you are not sure about how the sleeping cars are layed out check @ amtrak.com or look in the national sched or Amtrak Vacation brochure!
Like actually going to the station and printing it out you mean?

Like actually going to the station and printing it out you mean?
No.open the e-mail from Amtrak and when you print the rez page (the one with the bar code to get your tickets from the Quik-Trak)it will have your rez with the Train/car and room # on it for each segment of your trip!

No.open the e-mail from Amtrak and when you print the rez page (the one with the bar code to get your tickets from the Quik-Trak)it will have your rez with the Train/car and room # on it for each segment of your trip!
Alright, well I printed everything out (aside from going to the station and using the Quik-Trak machine). And I see nothing about a car or room number of anything. It shows the dates/times/where I'm departing and arriving, but nothing else.

Sorry if I'm being a pain, this is my first time ever dealing with train riding and I'm a bit lost!

Alright, well I printed everything out (aside from going to the station and using the Quik-Trak machine). And I see nothing about a car or room number of anything. It shows the dates/times/where I'm departing and arriving, but nothing else. Sorry if I'm being a pain, this is my first time ever dealing with train riding and I'm a bit lost!
I did a quick check and this information was not in my most recent reservation email either. Previously it was included in reservation emails from trips past. I don't know what that means, but perhaps someone else on here can shed some light on the issue.

I have the e-mail for my upcoming trip next month, a 12 day/9 train-thruway route and the car numbers and room numbers are below the bar code on the itenerary just like always! I havent a clue why it's not on yours, :eek: give Amtrak.com a call and talk to an agent (have your rez number) and ask them for the info/send you another e--mail is all I can think of! Perhaps Alan or one of our pros can answer this one? :unsure:

I made my reservation a few weeks ago and mine printed out with a room #'s on it as well. Probably a good idea to call Amtrak to make sure they have your roomette reserved. Let us know what you find out.

I made my reservation a few weeks ago and mine printed out with a room #'s on it as well. Probably a good idea to call Amtrak to make sure they have your roomette reserved. Let us know what you find out.
Just got off the phone with Stewart. Seemed like an interesting character!

He seemed somewhat shocked that there were no car/room numbers on the e-mail I received. So he gave me the information as well as e-mailed me another reservation, this time it's correct. :)

Thanks for the help!! You guys are truly awesome and I'm glad to have found you all!

Just got off the phone with Stewart. Seemed like an interesting character!

He seemed somewhat shocked that there were no car/room numbers on the e-mail I received. So he gave me the information as well as e-mailed me another reservation, this time it's correct. :)

Thanks for the help!! You guys are truly awesome and I'm glad to have found you all!
So glad that got worked out for you. Have fun on your trip! :)

I have the e-mail for my upcoming trip next month, a 12 day/9 train-thruway route and the car numbers and room numbers are below the bar code on the itenerary just like always! I havent a clue why it's not on yours, :eek: give Amtrak.com a call and talk to an agent (have your rez number) and ask them for the info/send you another e--mail is all I can think of! Perhaps Alan or one of our pros can answer this one? :unsure:
It seems to be a very recent change, one that I have no explanation for. I just made a reservation for the Lake Shore on the 22nd of this month, and my room number was not included in the emailed copy. And again, I have no idea why the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back