Gluten Free on Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post on the forum - I read with great interest, but was afraid to post this question and be attacked. So, please, be gentle. My husband and I started taking Amtrak a year ago after his diagnosis with cancer and inoperable blood clots. He is not able to fly anymore, so we get a bedroom where he can keep his legs up and he does quite well. We are taking the Empire Builder in July from CHI - SEA to go on an Alaskan Cruise. I have been diagnosed with Gluten Intolerance (not Celiac) and can't have wheat products. Guest Relations is not open until Tuesday, but I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions on what would be safe to order. Let me state that I am NOT EXPECTING any special treatment, just want to be informed. I know I can bring my own salad dressing, but the thought of eating a side salad for 45 hours is not that appealing to me, and bringing my own food (which I am willing to do) is out of the questions due to the Federal Regulations against using the microwave. I will have snacks and such, but I just wanted to know what options at B/L/D are fairly safe. I have read some older threads and it made me scared to ask, but I would love some input...

Thanks in advance!

I have read some older threads and it made me scared to ask, but I would love some input...
Thanks in advance!
Aloha

I am sorry you feel this way, most here are very supportive. I wish I could answer your questions, but I am very bad with paying attention to proper diet. And a special need is even worse for me to figure out.

Good luck, Someone will have a good answer.

if you call amtrak 72 (or 36) hours in advance, they can probably come up with something for you to eat in the dining car. They do the same for vegans and kosher food eaters.

I can't speak for the food in the cafe car, but you can ask them what is gluten free there

I usually bring my own food; if you want something hot my best suggestion is to bring some just-ad-hot-water items and use either the hot water that (used to be, been a while since I was in a sleeper) is at the coffee machine in your car or bring a small hot water coil ($10 from many travel/sporting goods stores).

from the Amtrak Website:

Food Allergies
Amtrak does not offer meals specifically designated as low fat, low cholesterol, low sodium, gluten free or peanut free. Because of the way meals are prepared, the fat, cholesterol, sodium, gluten and peanut content may vary and cannot be controlled or modified by our chefs.
peter

Hi Kors!

Its nice to see a fellow fraidy kat. In jest one time I wrote about having Karaoke on long distance trains, piped through the train, some were all over me, big time. I now think the Conducters should give yodling lessions on westbound trains! Even dress as your favorate Star! Kate Smith night on the Zepher and sing her songs! "How Deep is the Ocean"! I am all for it. I just keep my ideas to myself now. Wanna start something.....Mention you think the Sunset Limited should never be re-instated from New Orleans to Orlando! Period!!!! End of Statement! That will get some attention!

I work with kids and Gluten issues are a big problem. I am sorry I cannot offer any solid advice. Your post made me smile so I responed with kindness, but no solid answer. Your a nice person and I wanted to let you know there are others of us like you! But, for now, I am set free and out of the closet! Down with the Sunset Limited!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There, I said it! However, I am still a .........Fraiidy Kat!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info - I knew that they don't have special meals - just wanted to know what options may be safe. I will call on Tuesday and check with someone about the menu.

Thanks for the warm welcome - some threads get pretty heated, and it made me nervous.

Hello Kors and Welcome. I have food sensitivites and allergies and many times have trouble finding suitable entrees in the dining car. I am allergic to garlic, so I always bring my own salad dressing (oil and vinegar) or I eat the salad plain or with lemon.

At times, I have had luck talking with the dining car attendant prior to meal service and asking him or her if they have a list of the ingredients in the entrees. I think they are supposed to, but sometimes, I am told they cannot help me.

I have phoned customer service in the past to try to get ingredients for the entrees and they were not able to assist me. Someone (I do not remember who), suggested that I write to Amtrak, attention food service, and try to get the ingredients of their entrees. I have not done that yet, and it is on my "to do" list.

I think a wheat allergy may be more common (but more difficult to deal with) than a garlic alllergy, so customer service might be able to assist you.

Many years ago, I sat at a table with a woman who had a wheat allergy and I believe Amtrak was able to accomodate her. This was a while ago and my memory is not so terrific.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Hi Kors!
Its nice to see a fellow fraidy kat. In jest one time I wrote about having Karaoke on long distance trains, piped through the train, some were all over me, big time. . I now think the Conducters should give yodling lessions on westbound trains! Even dress as your favorate Star! Kate Smith night on the Zepher and sing her songs! "How Deep is the Ocean"! I am all for it. I just keep my ideas to myself now. Wanna start something.....Mention you think the Sunset Limited should never be re-instated from New Orleans to Orlando! Period!!!! End of Statement! That will get some attention!

I work with kids and Gluten issues are a big problem. I am sorry I cannot offer any solid advice. Your post made me smile so I responed with kindness, but no solid answer. Your a nice person and I wanted to let you know there are others of us like you! But, for now, I am set free and out of the closet! Down with the Sunset Limited!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There, I said it! However, I am still a .........Fraiidy Kat!!!!!!!!
Sad that u got hammered for ur suggestions, no matter wht thy were. Don't put ANY weight to those who post' or may "slam" you, they r no smarter, n may well B dumber thn U.

That is the problem with this forum, n00bs, feel like they "R not worthy", when in reality, thy are EAXACTLY wht ths forum needs.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Take this tiny portable microwave with you.

iwavecube-7.jpg

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2008/03/19/iwave_...able_microwave/

Kors

Unfortunately, Amtrak customer service is not going to be able to help you very much with identifying what you could be able to eat on the train. Yes the menu is published but the service agents, in my experience, aren't generally very well informed with specifics. Even the on-board staff is not as informed as they should be. The boxes, cases and packages that Amtrak receives from manufacturers are generally commercial sized and generic in markings and information on the box. Additionally, even though the menu is published for each train, it's quite common for the commissary to substitute menu items when product levels and expiration dates warrant it.

Since I work the EB I can tell you what items are generally always served at each meal and maybe you can research what options might work for you.

Breakfast:

- 2 eggs prepared how you like'em (egg substitute available upon request)

- 3 egg omelet (plain, cheese or vegetable mix + cheese)

- Continental breakfast includes 1/2 grapefruit and either cold cereal or oatmeal

- bacon

- pork sausage patty

- pancakes

- hasbrowns and biscuit, croissant or raisin bread are included with each entree

Lunch:

- beef hamburger

- Ivar's clam chowder and side salad

- entree salad (topped with a protein of salmon OR chicken)

- Black been chipotle vege burger

- Ham & cheese or Turkey & cheese cold sandwich

- gourmet macaroni & cheese (Beechers)

- chips & pickles on the side

Dinner:

- Sirloin or NY steak

- Vege spinach lasagna

- seasoned & baked 1/2 chicken OR oven baked fried crispy chicken (3 pcs)

- grilled or baked Salmon OR grilled or baked Walleye

- Chef's special is either Baked Bison meatloaf OR bbq spare ribs OR baked lamb shank

- sides include baked potato, rice or garlic mashed potatoes, vegetable medley or corn or green beans.

- side salad and dinner rolls

I don't know if this will help you or not but I'll check back here for comments and suggestions. If I find out any additional info I'll post it.

Hope you enjoy your trip and I just might see you out there in July.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my first post on the forum - I read with great interest, but was afraid to post this question and be attacked. So, please, be gentle. My husband and I started taking Amtrak a year ago after his diagnosis with cancer and inoperable blood clots. He is not able to fly anymore, so we get a bedroom where he can keep his legs up and he does quite well. We are taking the Empire Builder in July from CHI - SEA to go on an Alaskan Cruise. I have been diagnosed with Gluten Intolerance (not Celiac) and can't have wheat products. Guest Relations is not open until Tuesday, but I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions on what would be safe to order. Let me state that I am NOT EXPECTING any special treatment, just want to be informed. I know I can bring my own salad dressing, but the thought of eating a side salad for 45 hours is not that appealing to me, and bringing my own food (which I am willing to do) is out of the questions due to the Federal Regulations against using the microwave. I will have snacks and such, but I just wanted to know what options at B/L/D are fairly safe. I have read some older threads and it made me scared to ask, but I would love some input...
Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the board!

Have you gone on amtrak.com & looked at the menu? There is a special menu listed just for the Empire Builder. I know it doesn't list all ingredients for each entree, but there are eggs for breakfast, salads for lunch, & roast chicken, seafood or steak for dinner. Most of them come with rice or potatoes & veggie. I would still call & confirm that they contain no gluten added in any of the marinades, but I would think they should be safe. There are also specials for each meal too. I hope it turns out well for you & your hubby & have a great trip!

You are traveling on the EB in July? It is not yet June - Call Customer Service and ask them - You are a customer, get the service you require - ask which of the foods on the EB have gluten. You will be riding one of Amtrak's finest lines, you are paying darn good money for a BR, you have paid for good service - call Customer Service and when the first person cannot help ask for a supervisor - and his supervisor if required.

ENJOY YOUR TRIP!

Call Customer Service and ask them - You are a customer, get the service you require - ask which of the foods on the EB have gluten. You will be riding one of Amtrak's finest lines, you are paying darn good money for a BR, you have paid for good service - call Customer Service and when the first person cannot help ask for a supervisor - and his supervisor if required.
I agree with this sentiment completely. Call and ask. If you don't get a satisfactory answer ask for the next person up the chain and so on. Sometimes the best way to get great service is to simply demand it. Calmly and rationally, but firmly expect them to know what they're serving you. Then go watch Food, inc. for a real eye opener on where our food actually comes from.

I wrote about having Karaoke on long distance trains, piped through the train.
OMG. I really cannot imagine that. Just trying to imagine that makes my head explode. ;)

Wow - thanks so much for the suggestions - it really helps to see the menu! I think I will be OK - just need to make sure that the steaks don't have any sauce, and the burger doesn't have any bread crumbs added. I can have eggs, baked potatoes, and salad, so even the entree salad with no protein could work. I had no idea that most grilled chicken has a wheat coating to it as well - this is a learning process, and I am so grateful for your support.

I would call customer service, but I would not rely on what they tell or promise you to follow through to what will happen on the train. Amtrak is working hard to improve its on board service, and the EB is supposed to have some of the best. However the willingness and ability to deliver service that can meet specialized needs of a passenger varies dramatically from employee to employee. So the best way to meet guarantee that your needs are met is to do research and ask questions. You came to the right place IMHO.

Somebody posted a more detailed menu for the EB. Does that provide any help?

I understand, based on your post, that gluten free means no wheat products. Does that mean you can not eat steak or fish? I really do not know what gluten free means, so I hope that my questions are not offensive.

Good luck.

Hey I'm glad you asked this question, it's important to me too. I don't eat in restaurants much at all, so I found out on a recent vacation that there are some things I didn't know about gluten free, that I never had to learn because I prepare all my own food at home, no problem there.

I didn't really know that condiments are an issue because of "modified food starch" ingredients, and I do think my ignorance affected me, luckily at the end of our trip, so I was fine while we were actually out and about and on the road, didn't get symptoms til I got home.

I quit eating all wheat products (plus rye, barley, and oats) several years ago, I get terrible and painful symptoms if I even eat a little so it is easy for me to want to avoid it altogether. I don't feel like I'm missing anything!

For me it is complicated by not eating meat, I do eat fish sometimes, but not poultry, beef, or pork.

It doesn't bother me to bring my own food along, but it would bother me to be paying for meals in a sleeping accomodation and have nothing on the menu to eat. Luckily I love salads and could eat big salads all day and be happy. Potatoes are great too and eggs are okay so really I think I could squeak by on the train? I hope? I like cheese and would probably bring a soft sided cooler with some snacks like cheese, crackers, fruit, etc., as I have done before, just to be comfortable.

Gluten intolerance is obviously becoming more common or you would not see grocery stores devoting shelf space to it. They don't stock what they don't sell.

I don't find my dietary restrictions to be any trouble on a day to day basis because I shop for my own food and prepare everything for myself from scratch, no problem, much healthier and economical that way, it's only in restaurants that it even comes up. I would rather avoid the whole thing but on the train that would not be possible! :) So I am glad this topic came up!

I understand, based on your post, that gluten free means no wheat products. Does that mean you can not eat steak or fish? I really do not know what gluten free means, so I hope that my questions are not offensive.
Good luck.
Gluten is a protein found in wheat and related grains, when you have gluten intolerance it's a type of immune disorder where your body attacks the gluten protein and in the process damages the lining of your gut.

I think if you don't know you have this and damage your gut lining enough, you lose the ability to absorb nutrients from your food and you could basically starve or get a lot of malnutrition symptoms even if you were eating a really good diet, taking supplements, etc.

In my case I think it's possible that I damaged my gut by taking too much ibuprofen for too many years, and at the same time ate way too much wheat in my diet for way too long. I also read a theory that says there are gluten-like proteins in tetanus vaccines that might contribute to this syndrome. I'm sure the causes behind it are different for each person, as well as the symptoms and the severity.

I"m just glad I figured out what was causing the awful symptoms I had, I never went to a doctor, was never "diagnosed" with anything, but figured it out on my own and dealt with it successfully by changing my diet. I feel sorry for people who are having these problems and never make the connection between their diet and the problems! I feel lucky that I did figure it out.

FYI-

Modified food starch is a starch that has been treated physically or chemically to modify one or more of its physical or chemical properties. It could be from corn,wheat,potato,rice, and tapioca. (According to Ask.com)

So, in some cases, someone with a Gluten Intolerance could have it, as long as the starch source is not wheat.

Off topic a bit. Walt Disney World is very good with food issue such as Gluten, Dairy, Sugar free. You do need to eat at an bigger location. Such as table service or a big counter service area. The stand selling food will only help you find an place to eat. My friend gains weight ever time we go to WDW, which might not sense for most, but my friend carries an epi-pen just in case there is an bad reaction.

Good luck.
Gluten is a protein found in wheat and related grains, when you have gluten intolerance it's a type of immune disorder where your body attacks the gluten protein and in the process damages the lining of your gut.

I think if you don't know you have this and damage your gut lining enough, you lose the ability to absorb nutrients from your food and you could basically starve or get a lot of malnutrition symptoms even if you were eating a really good diet, taking supplements, etc.

In my case I think it's possible that I damaged my gut by taking too much ibuprofen for too many years, and at the same time ate way too much wheat in my diet for way too long. I also read a theory that says there are gluten-like proteins in tetanus vaccines that might contribute to this syndrome. I'm sure the causes behind it are different for each person, as well as the symptoms and the severity.

I"m just glad I figured out what was causing the awful symptoms I had, I never went to a doctor, was never "diagnosed" with anything, but figured it out on my own and dealt with it successfully by changing my diet. I feel sorry for people who are having these problems and never make the connection between their diet and the problems! I feel lucky that I did figure it out.
Thanks for the explanation. I now understand it quite a bit more. I see this is a serious issue. In that case I would advise the OP to be refer to your post for the best guidance. It seems that you could order something of the menu in the diner, and supplement it with hings that you bring along.

Good luck to you and the OP, and I hope your future trips go smoothly.

Well, I had a horrible experience with Amtrak Customer Service and got off the phone in tears. She said there was nothing she could do to help me, and suggested I bring my own food onboard. It was the worst feeling ever. She refused to transfer me to someone else and said have a nice day. I don't know what to do - I feel so helpless. There is no way I can handle 45 hours (with no delays) on Pamela's choc chip cookies, eggs, and cereal bars. It is such a bad feeling when you feel like you are punished for having a sickness. I wan't asking for any special treatment, just info on what would be safe and not cooked with gluten. I guess I am out of luck. Thanks for your support and suggestions - I can't bring the microwave or hot plate as we are going on an Alaskan Cruise and it is not allowed. There are no "Ramen" style meals that use hot water, and I can't eat oatmeal as it has gluten in it. Anyway, it just really broke my heart that they said there was nothing they could do, and no one I could talk to. Thanks again for being so kind -

I'm really sorry to hear that kors!

I'm not sure what that agent's problem was but it often takes a hard line and a tough demeanor to get through to someone who actually cares. Calling multiple times to chance upon a more understanding agent who is willing to transfer you to a supervisor is not unheard of. Also, always take down the name and time/date you spoke with someone who refused to assist or to pass you to the next highest level. That information should be included at the conclusion of subsequent calls that finally get through to a higher level of support. I haven't had to fight it out with Amtrak yet but I've had plenty of chances to argue with other companies and it's rarely an easy situation.

Maybe this is all just to much for right now, so just take a break and let the emotion of it all just subside for awhile. No point in letting something like this wear you down.

Anyway, it just really broke my heart that they said there was nothing they could do, and no one I could talk to. Thanks again for being so kind -
Aloha

Here is where the recommendation from so many AU members applies, "Call Back" a different answer will usually give a different answer. And Please do not let anyone make you feel like it is your fault, nature has dealt you a problem which is solvable with intelligent action.

Again I wish you good luck

Well, I had a horrible experience with Amtrak Customer Service and got off the phone in tears. She said there was nothing she could do to help me, and suggested I bring my own food onboard. It was the worst feeling ever. She refused to transfer me to someone else and said have a nice day. I don't know what to do - I feel so helpless. There is no way I can handle 45 hours (with no delays) on Pamela's choc chip cookies, eggs, and cereal bars. It is such a bad feeling when you feel like you are punished for having a sickness. I wan't asking for any special treatment, just info on what would be safe and not cooked with gluten. I guess I am out of luck. Thanks for your support and suggestions - I can't bring the microwave or hot plate as we are going on an Alaskan Cruise and it is not allowed. There are no "Ramen" style meals that use hot water, and I can't eat oatmeal as it has gluten in it. Anyway, it just really broke my heart that they said there was nothing they could do, and no one I could talk to. Thanks again for being so kind -
You need to write a letter to the President and ask him to forward it to the Food & Beverage group that set menus. There have been attempts at Amtrak to get a gluten free item or two on the menu, but it takes more than one or two complaints to get some action. Amtrak is not able to satisfy every food allergy or disease, but you should get some kind of response from the people who set the menus. The Customer Service person does not have the knowledge to speak about what might be gluten free on the menu, not does he/she have the ability to immediately transfer you to the various departments. Write the letter and be polite in explaining the situation and I hope you get a proper response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back