NEC master plan

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The NEC Intrastructure Master Plan draft document is 180 pages long and covers not just the NEC, but also the four main feeder corridors to the NEC. Has a lot of plans and ideas to absorb. People should check page 24 of the PDF file (page 3 of the actual document) for the map of the proposed expansion or reconconfiguration of NEC intercity services. First I have seen of a plan for Downstate Delaware service to run trains branching off the NEC south of Wilmington to Dover and Ocean City, MD. Plans for an Inland Route service from BOS to Worcester to Springfield to New Haven. And that is just a small part of what it proposes to implement over the next 20 years.

The NEC Intrastructure Master Plan draft document is 180 pages long and covers not just the NEC, but also the four main feeder corridors to the NEC. Has a lot of plans and ideas to absorb. People should check page 24 of the PDF file (page 3 of the actual document) for the map of the proposed expansion or reconconfiguration of NEC intercity services. First I have seen of a plan for Downstate Delaware service to run trains branching off the NEC south of Wilmington to Dover and Ocean City, MD. Plans for an Inland Route service from BOS to Worcester to Springfield to New Haven. And that is just a small part of what it proposes to implement over the next 20 years.
I love the idea of reviving the inland route system from BOS to worcester & springfield and then south to New Haven. My ILs live in CT and right now I believe the only trains they have are the vermonter that runs through, plus the stub train to New Haven. But the stub train kind of sucks.

The NEC is the crown jewel of the Amtrak routes that has more trains, serves more passengers and enjoys higher revenues than on other routes. We ride it once or twice per year and every time that we are on it the train is crowded. Since it is heavily used the wear is very obvious and I just wonder how often the cars get to be refreshed/refurbished.

The NEC is the crown jewel of the Amtrak routes that has more trains, serves more passengers and enjoys higher revenues than on other routes. We ride it once or twice per year and every time that we are on it the train is crowded. Since it is heavily used the wear is very obvious and I just wonder how often the cars get to be refreshed/refurbished.
That's not an easy question to answer, mainly because Amtrak has 3 different overhaul levels for these cars. A level one overhaul I believe is mainly just a heavy duty cleaning, fixing broken seats & tray tables, and replacing worn out cushions and other such things like that. A level two overhaul is more severe, where all cushions are replaced without regard to whether it's needed, carpets are replaced, and stuff like that I believe. A level three overhaul sees AC work and other major stuff like that, in addition to all of the above. Please don't quote me on the above, I'm not 100% sure just what happens at each level, what I've provided is just something to give you an idea of the scale of work being done and is my best guess.

Last year Amtrak scheduled 66 AMF-I coach level 1 overhauls and completed 69.

Last year Amtrak scheduled 8 AMF-I coach level 2 overhauls and completed 8.

Last year Amtrak scheduled 24 AMF-I coach level 3 overhauls and completed 28.

Last year Amtrak scheduled 20 AMF-I cafe/club car level 1 overhauls and completed 20.

There are 429 active AMF-I cars of which 40 are BC cars, 45 are Club/Dinettes, and 40 are full dinettes.

That's not an easy question to answer, mainly because Amtrak has 3 different overhaul levels for these cars. A level one overhaul I believe is mainly just a heavy duty cleaning, fixing broken seats & tray tables, and replacing worn out cushions and other such things like that. A level two overhaul is more severe, where all cushions are replaced without regard to whether it's needed, carpets are replaced, and stuff like that I believe. A level three overhaul sees AC work and other major stuff like that, in addition to all of the above. Please don't quote me on the above, I'm not 100% sure just what happens at each level, what I've provided is just something to give you an idea of the scale of work being done and is my best guess.

Last year Amtrak scheduled 66 AMF-I coach level 1 overhauls and completed 69.

Last year Amtrak scheduled 8 AMF-I coach level 2 overhauls and completed 8.

Last year Amtrak scheduled 24 AMF-I coach level 3 overhauls and completed 28.

Last year Amtrak scheduled 20 AMF-I cafe/club car level 1 overhauls and completed 20.

There are 429 active AMF-I cars of which 40 are BC cars, 45 are Club/Dinettes, and 40 are full dinettes.
so a level 4 would be replacing wheels axles brake shoes etc

so a level 4 would be replacing wheels axles brake shoes etc
There is no level 4 overhaul. Brake shoes get replaced as needed, usually during inspections I believe, but regardless they don't wait for a major overhaul to do that. Axles typically get replaced when a wheel set is changed out because a wheel has a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back