Amtraks Turboliner3

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amtrak Kid

Service Attendant
I recently saw in albany an acela looking train at the time i had no idea what it was but come to find out it was one of amtraks rohr turboliners although it's no part of acela I think it would be a great model and would love it zipping around my layout. Heres a pic of this interesting trainset

You can't upload any images, but if you have some free Web hosting space somewhere, you can link to that.

:)

Sifting through some photos I took when I was downgraded from sleeper to coach on the Lake Shore two years ago, I found some that I took in Albany of one of the Turbos and a bunch of old F-40s. If I feel like it, I may upload the photos some time.

No, not cabbages. These were still engines when I saw them. Amtrak won't be getting any more cabbages anyway.

You can find information on where all of Amtrak's F40's are now at by clicking here.

Note: The page I linked to does not include the F40's that were converted to Cab-baggages.

I'm going to upload those photos onto a folder at Webshots (see my link in my signature) called "Albany Amtrak photos." Check for them in a few minutes.

Anyway, the dome car was on the Coast Starlight, train 14(3JAN04).

Due to bad winter storms, Starlight service was screwed up. Several trains weren't able to pass through the Cascade mountains because the snow was so bad.

By the time I got to Los Angeles, things had cleared up somewhat, but service was still screwed up. In fact, our trainset, which was due into LAX the night before, was still about six hours out by the time we were to leave.

Amtrak just so happened to have a set of Horizons, plus a dome car, in Los Angeles that needed to go to Oakland for a Ski Train special. So, they gave us that set (we actually took it to Sacramento because it was easier to make the transfer up there), where we caught a regular set of Superliner equipment (the southbound Starlight due in that night was terminated in Sacramento because it, too, was running extremely late).

So, it was just a luck of the draw.

Lucky' I have a bachmann model of that dome car and after seeing that car I think I'll give it a phase IV scheme! Hopefully someday I'llride the turboliner3 from albany to NYC. For some info on it go to www.supersteel.com they're the company that amtrak paid to refurbish!

Amtrak Kid said:
Hopefully someday I'llride the turboliner3 from albany to NYC. For some info on it go to www.supersteel.com they're the company that amtrak paid to refurbish!
You won't be riding the Turboliners anytime soon. Amtrak has pulled the three completed trainsets from service and placed them in mothballs in Delaware. Supersteel has stoped all work on the remaining trainsets and the State of NY, which was paying Supersteel for the work, has suspended all payments.

In effect the Turboliners are history.

I remember an artical in the newspaper about mechanical and air conditioning problems so what your saying is the turboliners won't be used in regular service any more and are going to be scrapped? :(

Amtrak Kid said:
I remember an artical in the newspaper about mechanical and air conditioning problems so what your saying is the turboliners won't be used in regular service any more and are going to be scrapped? :(
They haven't been used for several months now, I think it was August. As for their fate, that is undecided at present. Both the State of NY and Amtrak are sueing each other over the project. So I guess it will be a few years before anything happens one way or the other to the Turboliners.

Thats to bad. When I took the train to NYC back in easter I actually saw them at Albany. But I'm still surprised that amtraks allowing them to have the same scheme as the acelas but still not be any part of the acelas!

Amtrak Kid said:
rmadisonwi,
do you know the name of the amfleet 2 lounge car exp.(The Miami club)
Which lounge car are you referring to?

I have ridden in the Miami Club before, on the Cardinal, if that's what you mean.

Amtrak Kid said:
Thats to bad. When I took the train to NYC back in easter I actually saw them at Albany. But I'm still surprised that amtraks allowing them to have the same scheme as the acelas but still not be any part of the acelas!
The cars of the Turboliner trains are not compatable with the Acela cars. The only thing that they have in common is that they both carry passengers, they both run on steel wheels, and they both has the same paint scheme. Beyond that there are huge differences between the Turboliner cars and the Acela cars.

The Turboliner paint scheme by the way was the same because Amtrak at the time was calling the NY to Albany trains Acela Regional. Not to be confused with Acela Express, although many passengers were very confused.

thats what I ment they have only the same scheme. I'm sorry if I misworded the sentance. Before david Gunn took over amtrak they were running the PhaseV (lava lamp cars) between albany and NYC. note did you hear about Impereal hobby productions. They're comming out with Amfleet cab cars!

Back