Looking for a job.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully someone can help.

I'm looking for a job at Amtrak. I'm looking for something onboard the trains, such as a coach or sleeping car attendant or lounge attendant. Here are my questions.

1. Is Amtrak hiring for any of these positions? I'm looking to be stationed in Chicago.

2. How do you find about open positions at Amtrak? I found one site, "team rewards”, but this seems to be more for corporate positions.

3. Do you have to live in the city from which you're stationed? In a conversation with an Amtrak employee, I was told you don't have to live in a specific city, but have to be able to report to your hub within certain period of time. Is this true and if so what is the response time?

Answers to these questions or any related tips/info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Over a week and no response. I guess maybe I should take that as a sign. Must be as hard as I thougt to get a job with Amtrak. :(

Either that, or not many Amtrak employees visit this site.

Well we have Miami Joe whos an electric tech for Amtrak, and there was one other person who was working as an OBS over the summer out of Chicago, but he hasn't been around in awhile. Team rewards is the only sight I know of. It may be worth even taking a short train ride and talking to one of the Conductor's or LSA's.

I found one site, "team rewards”, but this seems to be more for corporate positions.
That is the site you linked to Viewliner. There is not much in the way of "railraod" jobs. It's mostly management, but that's because Amtrak has baisiclly fired all manegers and only rehiring for "qualified" personal.

Amtrak doesn't have an application form like most companies. You have to submit a resume and send it to Human Resources Division. What I did was go the the station, and they handed out a form. The form basically showed what job positions were at the facility. It also provides the address of the HRD for that facility. There are many HRDs around the country. I was applieing for a job in Miami, but the HRD is in Jacksonville, Fla.

So I made two copies of my resume and left one at the facility and the facility sent the other to JAX by RR mail. It took 8 months before I heard from them. Amtrak usually hires in September, but does hire year-round as needed.

Madcity, if you give me your location, I will try to find the HRD near your location.

Thanks, Miami Joe.

I live in Madison, Wi. I think Chicago is the closest (hub). I would think that would be my best bet?

I appreciate your help!!

Madcity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back