RRrich

Best Bedroom on a Superliner

Bumping an old thread...as of Jan 2019... if riding CS, EB, or CZ

I would also agree that room "A"s bathroom layout makes it my last choice for bedroom.

However, my second priority is also to be able to sit on the couch with the scenery coming toward me rather the having to sit in the uncomfortable chair. So I'm happy with "E" then "C" if the bedrooms are ahead of the roomettes, and bedroom "D" or "B" if the roomettes are ahead of the bedrooms. 

There is no guarantee determining which way the car will be facing BUT some LD trains specific cars have pretty good odds. Book early enough to get them. 
Currently, of the last the last 30 daily trains (Dec2018-Jan2019),
Coast Star Light #14 car #1430 has had bedrooms AHEAD of roomettes 91% of the time... Pick "E", or "C"
Empire Builder #8 car #0831 has had bedrooms BEHIND of roomettes 86% of the time... Pick "D", or "B"
Calif Zephyr #6 car #0631 has had bedrooms AHEAD of roomettes 83% of the time... Pick "E", or "C"  
Southwest Chief and Texas Eagle are a toss up for direction...

49 minutes ago, RayF said:

Bumping an old thread...as of Jan 2019... if riding CS, EB, or CZ

I would also agree that room "A"s bathroom layout makes it my last choice for bedroom.

However, my second priority is also to be able to sit on the couch with the scenery coming toward me rather the having to sit in the uncomfortable chair. So I'm happy with "E" then "C" if the bedrooms are ahead of the roomettes, and bedroom "D" or "B" if the roomettes are ahead of the bedrooms. 

There is no guarantee determining which way the car will be facing BUT some LD trains specific cars have pretty good odds. Book early enough to get them. 
Currently, of the last the last 30 daily trains (Dec2018-Jan2019),
Coast Star Light #14 car #1430 has had bedrooms AHEAD of roomettes 91% of the time... Pick "E", or "C"
Empire Builder #8 car #0831 has had bedrooms BEHIND of roomettes 86% of the time... Pick "D", or "B"
Calif Zephyr #6 car #0631 has had bedrooms AHEAD of roomettes 83% of the time... Pick "E", or "C"  
Southwest Chief and Texas Eagle are a toss up for direction...

Where did you get your information?

2 hours ago, Rail Freak said:

Where did you get your information?

I watch the webcams off YT and Railfan cams each day and record which way the Sleepers are facing. All but MSP have DVR to easily check. Then when I book (twice a year) I shoot for the room with the best odds of having a forward facing couch. (I really hate sitting in that chair)  When I get close to launch date if the odds have changed greatly I’ll call and try to change is available.  

I’m about to leave on another trip Mon CS, to EB then TE back to DAL. Odds are looking good this trip of having forward facing for CS and EB but TE is the tossup (59%).
...still no guarantee but looking good...

Here’s an example of my XLS “EB” tab

Facing.jpg

Agreed, although it could have been said without taking jabs at others, niemi24s.  We all contribute in our own ways   

Your work is truly impressive!

Edited by VTTrain

Back when the New York Central ran the 20th Century Limited all of the bedrooms, compartment style rooms were always to be on the Hudson Side of the train. So the main body of the train was never wyed. Only the observation cars , and the diners were.

Great information as lots like to know which way they will face while riding. I dont much care which way I face as I mostly lay on the bedroom couch with a bunch of pillows and watch it all go by. Im just happy to be on a long distance train.