-4trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conrail

Train Attendant
There were 6 Amtraks past my house daily (Pennsylvanain and Three Rivers).Now there are Just 2.The Three Rivers.Why did Amtrak do this?

When were there six daily trains along that route?

In any event, Amtrak's excuse for cutting the route was cutting mail & express. Ironically, their excuse for cutting mail & express was to provide better service to their passengers. I don't buy either, but that's the "official" reason.

The Three Rivers was created to provide connections for M&E in Chicago from the SW Chief. The elimination of M&E means that the Three Rivers is now an obsolete train and is no longer needed. (The train was never really for passengers to begin with.) Hopefully that makes it a little more clear.

-Firebert

Firebert said:
The Three Rivers was created to provide connections for M&E in Chicago from the SW Chief. The elimination of M&E means that the Three Rivers is now an obsolete train and is no longer needed. (The train was never really for passengers to begin with.) Hopefully that makes it a little more clear.-Firebert
Actually it was the Pennsylvanian that was extended to Chicago for the Express Trak freight. It used to terminate in Pittsburgh and was extended to Chicago for the freight. It often ran with 3 or 4 coaches, 1 cafe, and 15 boxcars/road railers.

The Pennsy is technically dead right now and the 3R's currently runs on the Pennsy's schedule. After the 180 day notification is up, the 3R's will be cut back to Pittsburgh and will most likely once again assume the name of the Pennsylvanian.

At that point the 3R's will fade quietly into history.

I believe (if memory serves) there was also the Skyline Limited for a brief and uneventful stint on the NYP-PGH-CHI route.

Guest said:
I believe (if memory serves) there was also the Skyline Limited for a brief and uneventful stint on the NYP-PGH-CHI route.
No, that train made it into the National schedule, but it never left the gate. It died before ever making a single run.

rmadisonwi said:
AlanB said:
I died before every making a single run.
I'm so sorry to hear that! I assume this is your ghost typing, then?
Oops, sorry about that. :(

Just goes to show why I shouldn't try to type things after dinner and drinks out with the wife.

I have fixed my errors now. :)

Aloha

You meen that drinking and typing is dangerous. How do you get a "designated" typist.

Mahalo for the laff. :D :rolleyes: :D

The Broadway Limited used the old PRR Fort Wayne line from Pittsburgh to Chicago passing Alliiance, Canton, Mansfield, Crestline (stop), Lima, Fort Wayne (stop), Valparaiso, Gary, Englewood (stop), and Chicago.

Back