The International

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scott

Hi All,

Have any of you ridden The International from Chicago to Toronto? What can you tell me about it? According to the website, there doesn't seem to be a lounge car, which surprises me since it's about a 14 hour trip. What kind of equipment makes up the consist?

Thanks for any light.

Scott

The equipment is usually single level horizon equipment. I am sure that there is a snack car. This is not the most scenic nor excinting route. If you can, go through detroit/windsor so that you can ride VIA's equipment from Windsor to Toronto.

Believe it or not, Superliners were once the norm on the International (Chicago-Toronto) and Pere Marquette (Chicago-Grand Rapids).

Only recently with all the wrecks and resulting shortage of Superliners did these trains go single-level. The Horizon equipment used is the workhorse of the midwestern corridors --- the same as Chicago-Detroit-Pontiac, Chicago-Milwaukee, the Illinois Zephyr (Chicago-Quincy), the Illini (Chicago-Carbondale) and the Chicago-St. Louis corridor with the exception of the Texas Eagle.

The Superliners tend to handle severe cold and snow better than the Horizons, so there could be a negative impact to this if this coming winter is bad, and the Superliners are not fixed yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back