Maple Leaf 63 v Empire Service 281

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caravanman

Engineer
Hi,

I am looking at a trip from NY Penn to Niagara Falls soon. There seem to be two reasonable options, The Maple Leaf 63 which sets off early, 7.15am, or the Empire Service 281, departing at 10.15am.

I guess the Maple Leaf looks the best bet to me, as we would arrive in the daylight, but I am wondering if there are any hidden advantages to the Empire Service?

Thanks,

Ed :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Empire service train may not see an engine change, it will most likely run through with the P32. The Leaf will see an engine change at Albany.

The Leaf also runs with some Amfleet II cars, although you may still end up in an Amfleet I since you're not crossing the border. For such a long run however, you may want to opt for Business Class regardless of which train you decide upon, as you'll get the much nicer club seats.

It all depends on where you are that night. If you can make it to New York in time then I would take the leaf you have a chance at getting a nicer coach seat, but as Alan said its a pretty long trip and they both have the best BC seating around, so it may be worth the upgrade. Don't get me wrong I've done the trip twice in coach, and its not bad.

I agree with going biz class, definitely worth it. Amfleet Is arent that comfortable as Alan said and this train can get very crowded when the weather is nice. Being in the cafe car is an advantage also. The fares can vary widely but Id say go with the Maple Leaf, you are assured of daylight for the run and arrival. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back