Transitional Dorm

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
I keep hearing about Transitional Dorms. What are they. What do they look like?
It's a Superliner sleeper with a low level gangway connection at one end which connect to the baggage car gangway (which obviously is a single level vehicle)

It has crew quarters downstairs and roomettes upstairs.

Some shots of one on the CS last year...

http://50031.fotopic.net/p56933567.html

http://50031.fotopic.net/p56933554.html
So do all long-distance trains carry these cars? Are their rooms always sold? How can you tell if you are put in one of these instead of a regular sleeper car? What are the pluses and/or minuses, if any?

Last edited:
It's a Superliner sleeper with a low level gangway connection at one end which connect to the baggage car gangway (which obviously is a single level vehicle)

Those photos are actually a standard Superliner II sleeper subbing in for a trans-dorm. You can tell by the windows. And in the first photo, you can see the car number is 32098, which is a standard sleeper. The trans-dorms are the 39000 series.

So do all long-distance trains carry these cars? Are their rooms always sold? How can you tell if you are put in one of these instead of a regular sleeper car? What are the pluses and/or minuses, if any?

So do all long-distance trains carry these cars? How can you tell if you are put in one of these instead of a regular sleeper car? What are the pluses and/or minuses, if any?
All Superliner trains that carry a baggage car do. If you're assigned a roomette numbered (IIRC) 17-22, you're in the trans-dorm.

Pluses:

• Less traffic since only the crew uses that car
  • The bathroom AND shower are on the upper level
Minus:

• It's further from the Diner
  • Being the 1st passenger car, the horn may be more noticable (but that could also be a plus :D )
Some people like the trans-dorm, some do not. I have never had a room there, so I have no opinion.

So do all long-distance trains carry these cars? How can you tell if you are put in one of these instead of a regular sleeper car? What are the pluses and/or minuses, if any?
All Superliner trains that carry a baggage car do. If you're assigned a roomette numbered (IIRC) 17-22, you're in the trans-dorm.

Pluses:

• Less traffic since only the crew uses that car
  • The bathroom AND shower are on the upper level
Minus:

• It's further from the Diner
  • Being the 1st passenger car, the horn may be more noticable (but that could also be a plus :D )
Some people like the trans-dorm, some do not. I have never had a room there, so I have no opinion.
I've had good and bad experiences in the Dorms. The service can be REALLY spotty, I waited 3 hours one night before the bed was turned down then it never got put up the rest of the trip, or it can be really good. The horn doesnt bother me, but sometimes the dining car crew clomping up the stairs at 5am can get on your nerves, but overall it's not really much difference.

I've had good and bad experiences in the Dorms. The service can be REALLY spotty, I waited 3 hours one night before the bed was turned down then it never got put up the rest of the trip, or it can be really good. The horn doesnt bother me, but sometimes the dining car crew clomping up the stairs at 5am can get on your nerves, but overall it's not really much difference.
I had the same experience this December on the CZ. Really awful service, no real attendant, no juice, rarely had coffee, etc. That really put me off the whole Dorm experience.

If you are booked in a roomette whose number is greater than 14.
Actually that is incorrect, since the Family Room is officially Room 15!
Family Bedrooms are not Roomettes, and Transition Dorms do not have Family Bedrooms. So he is correct, and you aren't. Roomettes numbered over 14 are in a Trans-Dorm.

Many years ago I rode in that twice transition Coach/dorm. It was on the Chief and great for the the groups (Boy Scouts going to Philmont)

What ever happen to these cars? Did they get scrapped (could of been old ATSF hi-Levels?), or became something trans Dorms

If you are booked in a roomette whose number is greater than 14.
Actually that is incorrect, since the Family Room is officially Room 15!
I chose the word "roomette" for just that reason.

Actually, the family rooom is listed a room 15, but I believe the trans-dorm first room # is 15 :huh: , so no one is wrong I guess :lol: !

Trans dorm pax usually get the attendant from the next car, and they were never really built with the coffee machine/cooler set-up. If you really want some go to the regular sleeper and they should have it (and aren't you toatally entitled to have any coffee/juice, etc from any sleeper you want if you're a sleeper pax?).

Many years ago I rode in that twice transition Coach/dorm. It was on the Chief and great for the the groups (Boy Scouts going to Philmont)
What ever happen to these cars? Did they get scrapped (could of been old ATSF hi-Levels?), or became something trans Dorms
I believe they are in Madison, Illinois at a rail car place. Pretty much every ATSF Hi-Level is there now.

I had the same experience this December on the CZ. Really awful service, no real attendant, no juice, rarely had coffee, etc. That really put me off the whole Dorm experience.
My really bad experience was on the east bound Zephyr a couple years ago, although going through Feather River did soothe our pain a wee bit lol.

If you really want some go to the regular sleeper and they should have it (and aren't you toatally entitled to have any coffee/juice, etc from any sleeper you want if you're a sleeper pax?).
Yes, you are entitled, but some sleeping car attendants can get very upset when they see people doing that. I suspect that one reason that they get upset is the fact that it's often an indication that their counterpart in the other sleeper isn't doing his/her job catering to their charges.

Those photos are actually a standard Superliner II sleeper subbing in for a trans-dorm. You can tell by the windows. And in the first photo, you can see the car number is 32098, which is a standard sleeper. The trans-dorms are the 39000 series.
I did realise that at the time, but had forgotten by now!

You can see the higher level gangway in this shot taken the next day.

http://50031.fotopic.net/p56933647.html

If you really want some go to the regular sleeper and they should have it (and aren't you toatally entitled to have any coffee/juice, etc from any sleeper you want if you're a sleeper pax?).
Yes, you are entitled, but some sleeping car attendants can get very upset when they see people doing that. I suspect that one reason that they get upset is the fact that it's often an indication that their counterpart in the other sleeper isn't doing his/her job catering to their charges.
I have to agree with Alan. Though "upset" is an understatement.

In the Viewliners, it use to be the "norm" to find that in your car that either the coffee pot didn't work, or there simply wasn't one. The SCA would apologize, and suggest using the coffee pot in the next Viewliner. I still remember attempting to do that, and getting verbally harassed and chased away by that Viewliner's SCA.

I would go back, tell my SCA about it, and he would then go to the dining car to fetch me some coffee. That would also make me feel even more uncomfortable since I am perfectly capable of walking to the dining car myself.

Those photos are actually a standard Superliner II sleeper subbing in for a trans-dorm.
I thought that most, if not all, transdorms were retired from service? And there weren't even any transdorms in Amtrak's new equipment list to Santa (aka Congress).

(Hope I am wrong, and I am sure you all will clear it up if so :ph34r: )

Those photos are actually a standard Superliner II sleeper subbing in for a trans-dorm.
I thought that most, if not all, transdorms were retired from service? And there weren't even any transdorms in Amtrak's new equipment list to Santa (aka Congress).

(Hope I am wrong, and I am sure you all will clear it up if so :ph34r: )
No, the single level Heritage dorms were retired a few years back.

But the Superliner II Transitional Dorms are still in service and hopefully will be for many more years, especially since they are some of Amtrak's younger cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_7608.jpg

At least some trans dorms have an H accessible room, because we rode in one this past Sept on the CL eastbound CHI to PGH. The SCA was assigned to the car behind us and also to us, as there were no other revenue pax in the transdorm. His name was Carlos and he did a great job, in spite of having us added to his workload at the last minute. (our original H room had a defective door.) He brought dinner to our room and also helped us get off at PGH early in the morning with my handicapped son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back