ARROW

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer
Random question... Amtrak's registration/roster/God in a computer system, ARROW-- I have seen it referenced as "Amtrak's Arrow" and "Amtrak's ARROW" (latter being an acronym).

But I have never known what ARROW stands for if it is indeed an acronym.

Random question... Amtrak's registration/roster/God in a computer system, ARROW-- I have seen it referenced as "Amtrak's Arrow" and "Amtrak's ARROW" (latter being an acronym).

I believe it is referenced after the pointless arrow logo. Maybe it should be renamed to WAVE for the current logo :D .

cpamtfan-Peter

I believe it is referenced after the pointless arrow logo. Maybe it should be renamed to WAVE for the current logo :D .

cpamtfan-Peter
Thus it is just Arrow.

On a similar note.. that's why it's Amtrak not AMTRAK. Amtrak is not an acronym, it is a portmanteau.

From Wikipedia:

AmtrakLogo.png
Amtrak's old logo from 1971 to 2000, the "inverted arrow," dubbed by critics as the "pointless arrow." On July 6, 2000 Amtrak unveiled "...a new logo whose shape and suggestion of movement convey the comfort and uniqueness of the rail experience."
Shouldn't the "inverted arrow" have pointed down? At least the "pointless arrow" was more descriptive. I would have modified it to include a point at the end.

The wave is forgettable, IMHO.

Getting back on-topic, I would have to assume the "Arrow" system was named after the logo, and thus that the "ARROW" rendering (as an acronym) was simply an error (unless it was printed in a font that didn't distinguish upper- and lower-case letters).

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps it has something to do with ARROW only displaying all caps. Therefore, ARROW's name for itself would have no lower-case letters.

I don't know if it is the same system, but the reservation system used by one of the major airlines (IIRC American Airlines - but I could be wrong) was called ARROW.
AA invented (and still uses) SABRE.

The other three major GDSes are Amadeus, Galileo, and Worldspan. There's also one used in Asia called Abacus and another called Patheo, but the SABRE and the other three are the major forces.

Haven't heard of a reservation system called Arrow--other than Amtrak's! (I could be misinformed, however, or it could be a system for internal use at an airline that isn't well known outside of that airline...)

I don't know if it is the same system, but the reservation system used by one of the major airlines (IIRC American Airlines - but I could be wrong) was called ARROW.
AA invented (and still uses) SABRE.

The other three major GDSes are Amadeus, Galileo, and Worldspan. There's also one used in Asia called Abacus and another called Patheo, but the SABRE and the other three are the major forces.

Haven't heard of a reservation system called Arrow--other than Amtrak's! (I could be misinformed, however, or it could be a system for internal use at an airline that isn't well known outside of that airline...)
And the original name of Galileo was Apollo, used by United. For years Apollo and SABRE dominated the airline CRS's. Arrow is a exclusive and outdated concoction of Amtrak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back