Odd Booking Experience

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer
So I got online and booked my trip from ALC to PDX. Since ALC does not have a quicktrak or anything I had to have the tickets mailed to me to my bedsit in New York... (my first mistake, booking this online and letting the tickets get mailed)

Now ARROW put me in room 11, lower level (I hate lower level) so I called and asked if I could have one on the UL-- the agent said there were rooms but if I wanted to switch I would have to lay out an extra hundred bucks because my room was the last in the $216 bucket. I told her to forget it that it wasn't worth it.

No questions-- just found it odd. Since the tickets are mailed I can't cancel the reservation and get my money back-- then go through the process of getting refunded and re-booking (don't wanna bother).

Anything nice about roomette 11?

So I got online and booked my trip from ALC to PDX. Since ALC does not have a quicktrak or anything I had to have the tickets mailed to me to my bedsit in New York... (my first mistake, booking this online and letting the tickets get mailed)
Now ARROW put me in room 11, lower level (I hate lower level) so I called and asked if I could have one on the UL-- the agent said there were rooms but if I wanted to switch I would have to lay out an extra hundred bucks because my room was the last in the $216 bucket. I told her to forget it that it wasn't worth it.

No questions-- just found it odd. Since the tickets are mailed I can't cancel the reservation and get my money back-- then go through the process of getting refunded and re-booking (don't wanna bother).

You know, I have had an agent who gladly changed our room to another even though it changed buckets. She had to manually put in pricing info, but she did it. It would not hurt to call back again and see if you get someone willing to do it.

You know, I have had an agent who gladly changed our room to another even though it changed buckets. She had to manually put in pricing info, but she did it. It would not hurt to call back again and see if you get someone willing to do it.
That seems to be the rule. Don't like the answer, call again and see what a new agent says. May have to even call a third time.

I'll try again tonight.

Since the tickets were mailed out-- will that hurt my chances?

EDIT: Actually, could they also stop the printing of the tickets? My mailing address I submitted is in New York, so I think that's proof enough I can go to Penn Station at anytime and pick them up that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try again tonight.
Hard to say - a number of years ago I made some route changes to a reservation on tickets I had received in the mail already. The agent made the changes and when I arrived at the originating station that agent at the counter took my tickets and reprinted the new ones - no charge!

You have to find the right agent. And, be really polite and nice on the phone.

I'll try again tonight.

EDIT: Actually, could they also stop the printing of the tickets? My mailing address I submitted is in New York, so I think that's proof enough I can go to Penn Station at anytime and pick them up that way.
Not sure if it changes your chances. However, I really doubt they can stop the mailing.

Trust me the lower level is nice less neighbors and such I think its much better. Plus your choice of rest rooms. Wanna check the wait on the shower just pop your head out the door!

Yes but it also means an omnipresent smell of bathroom... though I may be able to step off the train and clean my window at a smoking stop this time...

I also have a fear that the TA will ignore those of us at the bottom of the car.

Yes but it also means an omnipresent smell of bathroom... though I may be able to step off the train and clean my window at a smoking stop this time...
I also have a fear that the TA will ignore those of us at the bottom of the car.
you won't smell anything down there. And the call button rings anywhere so they will see you.

you won't smell anything down there. And the call button rings anywhere so they will see you.
Okay, fine-- I've done the EB twice anyway, the scenery is nothing totally new to me unlike the stuff on the CZ.

Okay, fine-- I've done the EB twice anyway, the scenery is nothing totally new to me unlike the stuff on the CZ.
I prefer upstairs as well. If it is what you want, you can still try. Ain't gonna hurt.

I prefer upstairs as well. If it is what you want, you can still try. Ain't gonna hurt.
Yeah, I have upstairs on the CZ. Between having the tickets already mailed and manual pricing ect. I don't want to be a bother-- My goal this year was to experience every mode of travel that Amtrak offered-- I suppose a LL roomette is on the menu if everything else is on there--

Yeah, I have upstairs on the CZ. Between having the tickets already mailed and manual pricing ect. I don't want to be a bother-- My goal this year was to experience every mode of travel that Amtrak offered-- I suppose a LL roomette is on the menu if everything else is on there--
You made me check my reservations for the first time just now: we have roomettes 4 & 8 on the CZ (car 532). I presume now that they're upstairs?

You made me check my reservations for the first time just now: we have roomettes 4 & 8 on the CZ (car 532). I presume now that they're upstairs?
Yes, roomettes 1-10 are on the upper level.

Is Roomette 11 on the lower level on all Superliners? I have Room 11 on the Capitol Limited from WAS to CHI. I have never been on the lower level.

I just noticed that I'm in Room 11 on the CZ from DEN to CHI. I heard there was more noise on the lower level .

Is Roomette 11 on the lower level on all Superliners? I have Room 11 on the Capitol Limited from WAS to CHI. I have never been on the lower level.
Yes you will be on the lower level. The ride can be a bit smoother, and there is less foot traffic-- but the bathrooms are your neighbors. I've ridden lower level coach and had to deal with that--

Yes you will be on the lower level. The ride can be a bit smoother, and there is less foot traffic-- but the bathrooms are your neighbors. I've ridden lower level coach and had to deal with that--
While less foot traffic, the rail noise is more on the lower level as you are very close to the wheels.

While less foot traffic, the rail noise is more on the lower level as you are very close to the wheels.
I guess you could say both levels have their "ups and downs" :p

There's more rocking on the UL as well as foot traffic... so it is a trade off.

Five years ago I was in Room 14 and just about the only view I had of the LL was looking into Room 11.

The lady in 11 was talking about her upcoming wedding and I could hear every detail. Just keep that in mind if you feel talkative.

Five years ago I was in Room 14 and just about the only view I had of the LL was looking into Room 11.
The lady in 11 was talking about her upcoming wedding and I could hear every detail. Just keep that in mind if you feel talkative.
Why would the LL rooms be any less soundproof (err.. sound-resistant) than the UL rooms?

I travel solo anyway-- so...

When you climb under the sheets, and pull the curtains closed the roomettes are just about the same...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back