EB Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Portland sleeper is the last car on the train. In front of that you'll find the Portland coaches and then the cafe car. When the train reaches Spokane, they cut the train at the cafe car. This makes the Seattle coaches the end of the train going to Seattle, and the cafe car the first car on the train going to Portland right behind the new engines that were provided in Spokane.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Portland sleeper is the last car on the train. In front of that you'll find the Portland coaches and then the cafe car. When the train reaches Spokane, they cut the train at the cafe car. This makes the Seattle coaches the end of the train going to Seattle, and the cafe car the first car on the train going to Portland right behind the new engines that were provided in Spokane.
If you're in the Portland sleeper from Chi-Spk, you would have to walk thru 2 Portland coaches, cafe, 2 Seattle coaches & the Sightseer Lounge in order to get to the Diner?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're in the Portland sleeper from Chi-Spk, you would have to walk thru 2 Portland coaches, cafe, 2 Seattle coaches & the Sightseer Lounge in order to get to the Diner?
Yup, possibly even three Seattle coaches during peak periods.

Yup.

That's a lot of shoe leather :eek: :p !

Just thinkin of my legs situation. But, it would give a good photo opportunity nest out the back sleeper door window?

Just thinkin of my legs situation. But, it would give a good photo opportunity nest out the back sleeper door window?
Crap. I am on the 2830 Thursday. Did not think about walking to dinner and the lounge car for the 28's vs. 8's. The distance is no problem. Walking is good. The inconvenience is when the tracks may be rough and the train is swaying.

And look at the bright side: I can say from personal experience that there is no way you'll sleep through them splitting the train at Spokane, especially if you're in the upper bunk of the family bedroom. (Though to be fair, I think that the very end of the train was the handicapped bedroom.) Just be sure to put up the crash netting!

Actually the cafe is the Sightseer Lounge. They are not separate cars.

Something like that. On my EB trip last week I was in the Portland sleeper, and man that was one long walk. Two coaches from portland, the cafe car, possibly three coaches from Seattle then the diner. Almost wanted to pack a snack to get me there. LOL

That's a lot of shoe leather :eek: :p ! Just thinkin of my legs situation. But, it would give a good photo opportunity nest out the back sleeper door window?
The view from the rear window of the Portland sleeper is unlike anywhere else on the train. And if the window itself is clean, one can get some excellent photographs/video from that rear window. You also can use the row of windows along the corridor for the five bedrooms for excellent photos/videos, assuming the sleeper is coupled with the bedrooms toward the rear (which it seems is the usual practice). If you plan on taking photos, booking for the Portland sleeper rather than the Seattle sleeper(s) is well worth the walk to the diner. Here is an example of video from one week ago from that rear window of the Portland sleeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back