:How was your trip?" - Ticket stub survey

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimePeace

Disillusioned.
Who all calls in to do the survey on the back of the ticket stub? Anyone know someone who has won the $500 in free Amtrak travel?

D.

I don't know anybody who has won, but I fill out the online survey after every trip. It takes 5 minutes, hopefully helps them to improve service, and gives you a chance to win free travel. What's not to like? :)

Oh I like it! The idea of it. I was just wondering, after completing my survey(s) if anyone on here had won, or knew of examples as to how the feedback was used etc -

D.

I doubt anyone looks.

I checked "POOR" on every category once, expecting someone might see that and call.

Nope.

... and no $500

... ... and no call for participation in the panel either.

I doubt anyone looks.
I checked "POOR" on every category once, expecting someone might see that and call.

Nope.

... and no $500

... ... and no call for participation in the panel either.
Actually that may be why they didn't call. Normally that means the person is too lazy to put the time and effort into a thoughtful survey.

Who all calls in to do the survey on the back of the ticket stub? Anyone know someone who has won the $500 in free Amtrak travel?
D.
If you have significant problems, the odds of winning are much, much better if you call 800-USA-RAIL during business hours, ask for an agent, and then when you get a human, ask for customer relations, explain to the customer relations person what went wrong, and ask for a voucher towards future Amtrak travel. You may well not get $500, but the probability of getting something at all is vastly better with the customer relations route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know someone who has won the $500 in free Amtrak travel?
Yes, one of our members here, stlouielady won one of the $500 prizes several months ago. :)

And yes, I fill out the online survey after every trip.

D.
If you have significant problems, the odds of winning are much, much better if you call 800-USA-RAIL during business hours, ask for an agent, and then when you get a human, ask for customer relations, explain to the customer relations person what went wrong, and ask for a voucher towards future Amtrak travel. You may well not get $500, but the probability of getting something at all is vastly better with the customer relations route.
I did just that (actually I wrote a letter addressed to Alex Kummant) - and received a $500 voucher! :D

Anyone know someone who has won the $500 in free Amtrak travel?
Yes, one of our members here, stlouielady won one of the $500 prizes several months ago. :)

And yes, I fill out the online survey after every trip.

Yes, I won a $500 trip voucher for filling out the survey. I got a certified letter in the mail about, IIRC, a month or two after I submitted it, had to complete an affidavit proving that I was who I said I was, get it notarized and return it, and, voila, a certificate for $500 arrived a few weeks later. I filled it out online, after a short little Kirkwood, MO to Kansas City, and back, trip. $50 trip, my honest opinion on the survey, and a $500 voucher in my pocket.

I don't think WHAT you say on the survey makes a bit of difference; I believe it is a random selection out of the total number of surveys completed for the month. So, if you return a survey during a month that there are only 25 returned, you've got a pretty good chance of winning. I remember they used to list the monthly winners on the website, and I seem to recall seeing 5 or 10 winners per month. I don't remember seeing it lately, but, I guess I haven't really been looking. They were listed in the area where you click on 'tell us about your trip'; it was in the top right corner on the home page, but, like I said, I don't think it's currently there.

Pretty good deal....it only took a few minutes to complete online. I'm using the voucher to take a trip in March,

Yes, I won a $500 trip voucher for filling out the survey. I got a certified letter in the mail about, IIRC, a month or two after I submitted it, had to complete an affidavit proving that I was who I said I was, get it notarized and return it, and, voila, a certificate for $500 arrived a few weeks later. I filled it out online, after a short little Kirkwood, MO to Kansas City, and back, trip. $50 trip, my honest opinion on the survey, and a $500 voucher in my pocket.
I don't think WHAT you say on the survey makes a bit of difference; I believe it is a random selection out of the total number of surveys completed for the month. So, if you return a survey during a month that there are only 25 returned, you've got a pretty good chance of winning. I remember they used to list the monthly winners on the website, and I seem to recall seeing 5 or 10 winners per month. I don't remember seeing it lately, but, I guess I haven't really been looking. They were listed in the area where you click on 'tell us about your trip'; it was in the top right corner on the home page, but, like I said, I don't think it's currently there.

Pretty good deal....it only took a few minutes to complete online. I'm using the voucher to take a trip in March,
Since you're traveling more than a year from when the voucher was actually issued (early Jan '08 or late Dec '07) and that you're traveling more than a year later, I'd presume that you have to have purchased your tickets within a year rather that do the actual traveling?

Have a good trip and don't get the St. Louie Blues! :unsure: (OK everybody... go ahead and moan) :rolleyes:

Since you're traveling more than a year from when the voucher was actually issued (early Jan '08 or late Dec '07) and that you're traveling more than a year later, I'd presume that you have to have purchased your tickets within a year rather that do the actual traveling?

Have a good trip and don't get the St. Louie Blues! :unsure: (OK everybody... go ahead and moan) :rolleyes:
I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I do know that on the back of the travel vouchers you can renew the voucher for another year. I have some credit vouchers that our local station agent told me that if they were not used that he could re-issue them for another year. I just ate over $300 in Airtran credit because I forgot they had a time limit and were not worth a nickel after the expiration date. I think Amtrak is one of the most liberal in issuing vouchers and maintaining their validity.

I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I do know that on the back of the travel vouchers you can renew the voucher for another year. I have some credit vouchers that our local station agent told me that if they were not used that he could re-issue them for another year. I just ate over $300 in Airtran credit because I forgot they had a time limit and were not worth a nickel after the expiration date. I think Amtrak is one of the most liberal in issuing vouchers and maintaining their validity.
WARNING - THIS IS MY 666TH POST. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK! :unsure:

IIRC from the back of my last voucher, you are correct!

Several years ago I too had to eat a sizeable Amtrak voucher because I couldn't travel within the time limit. :( Back then I think it was a 2 years limit, but I can't remember for sure!

I thought that one year vouchers from unused tickets could be renewed by turning them into vouchers good for an additional year once, but one year vouchers due to mechanical problems cannot be renewed in that fashion.

However, the other key question is, does travel have to occur within the year, or is it merely a matter that a reservation has to be made for travel? I was promised a voucher when I spoke to Amtrak yesterday about some issues with the condition of my roomette early this week; I'm about to book a trip I will take sometime in 2009, and I'd prefer not to risk the bucket going up while I wait for the voucher. If I make a reservation sometime in 2009 for travel that will occur in 2010, would I be able to use the voucher I was promised yesterday to pay for part of that trip?

The voucher was good for a year, and, yes, I believe that I could have extended it for another year if I had gone to a staffed station and explained that to them. However, I knew that I would be traveling in March, and I didn't want to wait until the last minute to book, so, I went ahead and booked the trip prior to the expiration date of the voucher. I had to pick up the tickets in person at a station within a week of booking, because of the voucher thing, but, since I live 20 minutes from the St Louis station, that wasn't a problem. So, in my case, I made and paid for the reservation within a year of getting the voucher, but, will not be traveling until well after the actual expiration of it.

does travel have to occur within the year, or is it merely a matter that a reservation has to be made for travel? I was promised a voucher when I spoke to Amtrak yesterday about some issues with the condition of my roomette early this week; I'm about to book a trip I will take sometime in 2009, and I'd prefer not to risk the bucket going up while I wait for the voucher. If I make a reservation sometime in 2009 for travel that will occur in 2010, would I be able to use the voucher I was promised yesterday to pay for part of that trip?
AFAIK, it's just that the voucher has to be redeemed within the time frame, but the travel does not have to be within that time. The voucher is essentially the same as cash. You could use a credit card today that expires in 4/09 for a trip that you booked for 10/09. (The credit card expires before the travel, but you paid for the trip before the expiration daate.)

does travel have to occur within the year, or is it merely a matter that a reservation has to be made for travel? I was promised a voucher when I spoke to Amtrak yesterday about some issues with the condition of my roomette early this week; I'm about to book a trip I will take sometime in 2009, and I'd prefer not to risk the bucket going up while I wait for the voucher. If I make a reservation sometime in 2009 for travel that will occur in 2010, would I be able to use the voucher I was promised yesterday to pay for part of that trip?
AFAIK, it's just that the voucher has to be redeemed within the time frame, but the travel does not have to be within that time. The voucher is essentially the same as cash. You could use a credit card today that expires in 4/09 for a trip that you booked for 10/09. (The credit card expires before the travel, but you paid for the trip before the expiration daate.)

Correct! :) One just has to use the voucher before it expires to buy tickets. The actual trip date is irrelevant in the greater scheme of things.

I thought that one year vouchers from unused tickets could be renewed by turning them into vouchers good for an additional year once, but one year vouchers due to mechanical problems cannot be renewed in that fashion.
Correct! :)

By the way the vouchers from unused tickets can be renewed either in person at a station or by mail. But in either case they must reach Amtrak prior to the expiration date on the voucher. And if you do send it by mail, I highly recommend sending it with at least USPS return receipt requested, so that you have some proof that you sent it to Amtrak, if not via some second or next day service. Remember the voucher is basically like cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back