Day trip on the Sunset Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
I got to NOUPT at 11:00am and proceeded to purchase a one-way ticket to Lafayette,LA on Train #1, which was scheduled to depart at 11:55am. I also purchased a one-way ticket on Greyhound for their 4:30pm deprture back to N.O from Lafayette. If all went well, I would have a 55 minute connection time, which isn't bad since the bus station is only a five minute walk from the train staion in LFT. I can't say that I was thrilled about a 5-hour bus ride back home, but the train ride would surely make up for it.

So at 11:30am bording for the Sunset Limited commenced on track #5. First sleeping car passengers, of which I counted about fifteen. Next, passengers going to Los Angeles and San Antonio only were asked to board...there were about fifteen people going to those two cities. And finally, all remaining passengers, again roughly fifteen. Two coaches (a series 1 and a series 2) were at the end of the train, followed by the Sightseer Lounge, Dining Car, Sleeping Cars (2), Transition Sleeper, baggage, and two locomotives. I was directed to take a seat in the last Coach, which was a series 2. The car I was in was probably a little more than half full (maybe about 40 people), and the next Coach was about the same, maybe a little more. As an interesting note, I recognized the coach attendant from my trip on the Sunset on 1/27 from ORL to NOL. Very nice guy, I chatted with him for a couple of minutes.

We departed right on time at 11:55am. As we started our ascent of the Huey P. Long Bridge, the first call for lunch in the diner came over the p.a system. Off I went. The dining car was very busy today (they actually had a waiting list going not long after I sat down), and I got placed at a table with three elderly passengers going to Los Angeles. They were very friendly and seemed amazed that a "young person" such as myself still appreciates train travel. We had a nice conversation, and I pointed out some things along the route to them. The food wasn't half bad either....I had my classic Angus burger with cheese...mmm mmm good! I also recognized the dining car attendant from my Orlando trip. Talk about deja vu!

After a very enjoyable lunch, I spent some time in the Sightseer Lounge, then went back to my roomy seat for the last hour and a half or so of the ride, as we crossed several good-sized waterways and sped through numerous crop fields. We had lost around 30 minutes on the Huey Long Bridge waiting for a freight train to get out of our way, as such, we arrived into Lafayette about 25 minutes behind schedule, not really too bad at all.

I got off the train, took a few pictures of her in all her glory, and made the walk to the bus station. The ride back was nothing spectacular, but it could have been worse I guess. Comparing Amtrak to Greyhound in terms of comfort and overall atmosphere is like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Toyota.

Overall, it was a nice way to spend a day off. The train ride was wonderful as usual. Amtrak just keeps on getting better and better as far as i'm concerned. Now, where to next? Hmmmmm.....

Sounds like a great trip. Sometimes those relatively short spur of the moment trips are as much fun as any other, even when they involve one way on the bus. Glad it went well for you....probably kind of therapeutic.

As to buses, I include them in my shorter travel from time to time and they serve a purpose when a trip is not too long. And, yes, sometimes even the plane fits into the scheme of things, but with all of it essentially the train.

Oh yes, one more thing----what a blessing SL was on time, departure at least. Being 10 hours late would have made a complete mockery of the short little enjoyable trip you woke up wanting.

I can deal with taking a bus, but I'd rather not. I have went coast to coast a few times as a kid. The bus trip that urks you though is when The Starlight is late and they transfer you to a crappy bus in Klammath Falls to go to Portland in order to make the Empire Builder connection. Worse is then seeing the Starlight pull in while waiting to leave on the Empire Builder!

bmlock said:
I can deal with taking a bus, but I'd rather not. I have went coast to coast a few times as a kid. The bus trip that urks you though is when The Starlight is late and they transfer you to a crappy bus in Klammath Falls to go to Portland in order to make the Empire Builder connection. Worse is then seeing the Starlight pull in while waiting to leave on the Empire Builder!
:eek: :( :( :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back