Part 1 of 3 for my Florida Trip Posted

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Viewliner said:
523 Phase III11815 Orange Safety Paint

11823 Orange Safety Paint

11812 Orange Safety Paint

11831 Orange Safety Paint

11316 Orange Safety Paint

11393 Orange Safety Paint

11624 Orange Safety Paint

11518 Orange Safety Paint

527 Phase III
What is "Orange Safety Paint"? :huh:

Orange MOW paint scheme similar to this picture.

Amtrak%20GP-9%20Locomotive%20770.jpg

So saf so good Viewliner, definitely a fan of seeing numbers in a trip report, it seems to be increasingly rare these days.

gswager said:
Viewliner said:
523      Phase III11815 Orange Safety Paint

11823  Orange Safety Paint

11812  Orange Safety Paint

11831  Orange Safety Paint

11316  Orange Safety Paint

11393  Orange Safety Paint

11624  Orange Safety Paint

11518  Orange Safety Paint

527      Phase III
What is "Orange Safety Paint"? :huh:
Orange saftey/Mow paint is worn by equipment used in MOW which is non-revenue. Most railraods besides amtrak have their mow equipment in a similar scheme(not very complicated).

One thing I can't seem to find is the designation for all of the cars on the MOW Train, I found the Locomotive designation (which will be reflected in the subsequent update).

If my memory serves me correctly arent the two locos GP40PH's. Werent they equiped with hep and used in regular service a few years ago?

You sir are correct. Built in 1966 by EMD, weighing 264,000 lbs, 3,000 horsepower and a maximum speed of 100 mph.

Nice part one of report VL. One note about Larry. Sometimes if attendants see your a railfan (noticing your scanner or other railfan items) they might think you will want to put the beds down yourself, as you might enjoy that. That's happened to me a couple of occasions. However, he should do at your request. If he asked other non-seasoned rail travelers that, then I'd start questioning his service.

As for the TV's, well guaranteed your broken TV will never get fixed. How come you just didn't tell your mom that Amtrak was slowly phasing them out of the Viewliners as they were too much to maintain and were not functioning properly.

Besides that glad too here everything else went well, including the over the top diner staff.

Even if he saw I was a railfan, thats still not the thing to say, an attendant should usually assume that travelers are on for the first time, and don't know how to turn down the beds. What he should've done was not say anything, or say something along the lines, "Later on, if you let me know when you want the beds turned down, I'll be willing to do it." If I don't mind/need help, I'll do it on my own (which I did), but attendant's have to be careful, because, yes, first impressions are lasting ones. My concern was more so how he'd treat a non-railfan (ex. being my mother), that really made a bad impression on her, and if it were somebody else, they might not willingly return to rail travel.

As for the TV's, I did inform her before the trip, that chances are that the movies wouldn't be shown, as Amtrak was supposedly phasing them out. The problem here was that movies were being shown in both cars, and that was something that appeared to be overlooked (in her opinion). That is why we had the DVD Player along with us.

Things were very good overall, and don't worry, the return trip will be much more positive. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back