American Airlines to charge for first checked bag

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fuel costs have nearly doubled.
Personally, I'd rather have the option of avoiding the fee if I pack light over having ticket prices go sky high.
Aloha

I haven't read the details, but is that per round trip, or per segment, If that was per segment, and I was on AA that would add 75 dollars to my trip. And since my last flight I have managed to loose 25#, does AA give credit for that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fuel costs have nearly doubled.
Personally, I'd rather have the option of avoiding the fee if I pack light over having ticket prices go sky high.
Aloha

I haven't read the details, but is that per round trip, or per segment, If that was per segment, and I was on AA that would add 75 dollars to my trip. And since my last flight I have managed to loose 25#, does AA give credit for that? :lol: :lol: :lol:
i don't think you have a choice there going t charge you whether you have a pag or not. its coming as a fare increase.One of those surcharge things

The added baggage fee amounts to a fare increase, and it comes on top of a series of ticket price increases and fuel surcharges the industry has pushed through in recent months. But it is also the industry equivalent of a trial balloon that could pop before it gets too far off the ground.

I decided to go straight to the source and get some answers:

1. It's a one way fee, regardless of the number of segments, do your first bag would be $30 for the round trip, $50 for the second.

2. You do have a choice - this isn't a fare increase, it's a charge for checked bags. Don't want to pay the fee? Pack light and don't check any bags.

I have a feeling the effects of this will be seen in the cabins... and in the security lines... I never underestimate people's ability to overpack and overcarry.

When I do fly, unless I can fit everything in my backpack, I'll always end up checking a suitcase--and with all the restrictions on liquids and miscellaneous things, it's easier to throw all that stuff in the checked bag.

Then again, my last flight was on a regional jet that couldn't hold my backpack in the overhead, so I spent three hours with absolutely zero legroom.

Last time I flew, I decided it was an awful mistake not to be repeated. Especially the part where they dumped hot coffee in my lap and then screamed and cursed at me. It was awesome.

Last time I flew, I decided it was an awful mistake not to be repeated. Especially the part where they dumped hot coffee in my lap and then screamed and cursed at me. It was awesome.
That's very common. Happens all the time. My suggestion: don't fly. Ride Amtrak everywhere. That's the best deal for you.

Back on topic, remember the Southwest ad with people paying to get the magazine, open the overhead, use the bathroom? Somehow I think the Soutwest advertising folks are working on something right now.

Another aspect. What about the full plane scenario when the last to board find the overheads full and they have to take their carry-on bags forward to get checked? Do they too get charged $15? How do they pay?

My suggestion: don't fly. Ride Amtrak everywhere.
I wish I could but I have no Amtrak anywhere near where I live. I have to fly to Chicago to catch one!
You have it better than I do...your flight to ORD/CHI is probably 1/5 what I have to pay to catch an Amtrak train! :lol:

Regarding gate-checking: I would suspect that AA will not charge for gate-checked bags, but I'd have to read their policy to see.

I wish I could but I have no Amtrak anywhere near where I live. I have to fly to Chicago to catch one!
You have it better than I do...your flight to ORD/CHI is probably 1/5 what I have to pay to catch an Amtrak train! :lol:
Yep - but you have the beautiful Alaska Railroad to ride!

I last rode the route in 2000 and enjoyed views like this.

300513133_VAFeJ-O.jpg

Yep - but you have the beautiful Alaska Railroad to ride!

I last rode the route in 2000 and enjoyed views like this.

300513133_VAFeJ-O.jpg
Oh I've trying to plan a trip to Alaska to ride that train! Just can't seem to fit it in yet.

And on AA, I really think its a dumb idea, and really hope other airlines don't follow. Then they will be forced to not charge. I think a novel idea would be to start slowly raising prices. Thats essentially going to be the only way. Overseas airlines are doing a lot better because they actually charge a lot to fly. I too wonder about, how full the cabins will get, and how people will have to check their luggage at the gate. Hope they won't, because it's not exactly their own fault because they happen to board last.

I suspect that other airlines will NOT follow American on this and AA will drop this ridiculous idea. That is the way the airlines usually work. One airline will step out with something (like higher fares) and unless they all follow, it does not last.

...remember the Southwest ad with people paying to get the magazine, open the overhead, use the bathroom? Somehow I think the Southwest advertising folks are working on something right now.
Southwest has indeed dusted off the "nickel and dime" commercial. Four dollars to use the bathroom: one dollar for each call button activation. Flight attendant walking down the aisle with a fist-full of bills. Very amusing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect that other airlines will NOT follow American on this and AA will drop this ridiculous idea. That is the way the airlines usually work. One airline will step out with something (like higher fares) and unless they all follow, it does not last.
Too late! :angry: At least US is charging for the first bag also! :angry: (And they are charging $2 for the "free" soda!)

Too late! :angry: At least US is charging for the first bag also! :angry: (And they are charging $2 for the "free" soda!)
Plus, they are charging a "processing fee" for getting "free" award tickets ($25 domestic), and they eliminated the bonus miles awarded to elite level members of Dividend Miles. Right now US management is very popular with the frequent flyer types. Over at FlyerTalk, the gripe-a-thon thread about these changes is up to 230 replies. The thread was started Thursday afternoon. Remember when Southwest was called a "no frills" carrier? Still free luggage, free sodas, no change fees, and simple one-way fares.
$2.00 for a can of soda. Gee, that's even more than Amtrak charges.

Aloha

Yesterday United Sent a notice saying first bag $15 first bag $25 Second $150 overweight per direction :angry2: That means my trip next month just went up $45 by one day.

Aloha
Yesterday United Sent a notice saying first bag $15 first bag $25 Second $150 overweight per direction :angry2: That means my trip next month just went up $45 by one day.
Unless bought your ticket yesterday, it is not an issue. The change only applies to tickets bought on or after June 13.

Aloha
Unless bought your ticket yesterday, it is not an issue. The change only applies to tickets bought on or after June 13.
The Notice I received said for travel before July 13, My trip starts July 15, I hope that since the Tickets were paid In March that you are correct and I am not charged extra.

Aloha

Eric

Aloha
The Notice I received said for travel before July 13, My trip starts July 15, I hope that since the Tickets were paid In March that you are correct and I am not charged extra.

Aloha

Eric
You're fine. For tickets purchased between February 4 and June 12, the first bag is free and the second is $25. The first bag charge kicks in August 18 for tickets purchased June 13 or after.

United Baggage policy

Aloha

Aloha

Eric
You're fine. For tickets purchased between February 4 and June 12, the first bag is free and the second is $25. The first bag charge kicks in August 18 for tickets purchased June 13 or after.

United Baggage policy
Aloha

Got a new notice today with the August 18,th Date.

Mahalo

I hate flying- I have pledged to travel Amtrak the rest of my life... but they REALLY need to fill those service gaps that's the only thing intercity airlines have going for them- little gaps in transportation.

I hate flying- I have pledged to travel Amtrak the rest of my life... but they REALLY need to fill those service gaps that's the only thing intercity airlines have going for them- little gaps in transportation.
Aloha

Without flying I can't get to the AU gathering, a bridge is not in my life time and cruises waaaaay toooo much money :huh:

Enjoy your trips.

Eric

Back