Things to take with you

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Freak

Engineer
I read somewhere to take with you things like Windex,flash light,String/cord, pillows and other things for different reasons. Is this true? It seems I'd have to check my luggage to carry all that on board! <_<

I read somewhere to take with you things like Windex,flash light,String/cord, pillows and other things for different reasons. Is this true? It seems I'd have to check my luggage to carry all that on board! <_<
Well the windex is for the dirty windows if you want to get some good sight seeing. But usually the dirtiness is on the outside of the window. You might be popular though in the lounge car. Not sure what everything else is for. For coach I wear a hooded sweatshirt and have a eye-mask. I travel light so I just use Amtrak's pillow to sleep on. Bring all that, and you'll sleep very well.

Well the windex is for the dirty windows if you want to get some good sight seeing. But usually the dirtiness is on the outside of the window. You might be popular though in the lounge car. Not sure what everything else is for. For coach I wear a hooded sweatshirt and have a eye-mask. I travel light so I just use Amtrak's pillow to sleep on. Bring all that, and you'll sleep very well.
Windex - outside window

flaslight - drop things on floor under bed

string - loose cabinet doors banging in the night

ETC.

YEAH, I could wrap one end around someting on the train, unwinding it and wrapping the other end around my waist while in the short stop stations, getting a coke.
Speaking of coke, I hope that you like Pepsi, because Amtrak has an exclusive contract with Pepsi. You won't find any Coke products on board, unless you've brought them with you.

YEAH, I could wrap one end around someting on the train, unwinding it and wrapping the other end around my waist while in the short stop stations, getting a coke.
Speaking of coke, I hope that you like Pepsi, because Amtrak has an exclusive contract with Pepsi. You won't find any Coke products on board, unless you've brought them with you.
That's why you have get off at the short stops - to get your fix! :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I always carry a power strip with me. In part because I usually end up having way more things to plug in than outlets to do so (i.e. more than 1), and also because occasionally in coach I'll be in a car without outlets at every seat, or that I'll have a seatmate who wants to use the outlet. I've used it on a handful of times and every time other passengers were incredibly thankful I had it. (To give credit where its due, I think I got the idea from this forum)

I always carry a power strip with me. In part because I usually end up having way more things to plug in than outlets to do so (i.e. more than 1), and also because occasionally in coach I'll be in a car without outlets at every seat, or that I'll have a seatmate who wants to use the outlet. I've used it on a handful of times and every time other passengers were incredibly thankful I had it. (To give credit where its due, I think I got the idea from this forum)
GOOD THINKIN!!!

I bring some small rags that I have cut up and put them in a ziplock baggie. They work for either the Windex or if there's something in your room vibrating due to the speed of the train, I can stuff it in the crevice and the noise goes away. Earplugs are a must for me, so is Tylenol PM. If you have some good "downers" at home, I would bring them. Sometimes the first night I'm so "jacked" up about the trip, that I don't sleep very well. Thats what the "downers" are good for. I usually take Tylenol PM but I have with me a couple prescription type that knock me out in about 10 minutes! :p If I'm going west on the CZ, we board at 12:30am, so even if I'm tired, I have a hard time falling to sleep since I'm excited about the trip I'm taking.

Reactions: Tod
Windex is good for within your reach when cleaning window. You can't do it on second level of Superliner. The temperature in the train are varies between cars. Some cars are freezing, some are hot (mostly sightseer lounge), and some are perfect, so you'll need a sweater.

Windex is good for within your reach when cleaning window. You can't do it on second level of Superliner. The temperature in the train are varies between cars. Some cars are freezing, some are hot (mostly sightseer lounge), and some are perfect, so you'll need a sweater.
Thanx, being a Florida Boy, I don't think about sweaters very often. Except tonight, low 40s, what the hell, it's April!!!

I know we about got left on EB last year in western N. Dakota when I went in to the station in search of a Diet Coke. There wasn't any there either!!

GregL :lol:

I know we about got left on EB last year in western N. Dakota when I went in to the station in search of a Diet Coke. There wasn't any there either!!

GregL :lol:

Ya know, we all need to start thinking "PEPSI"

Back Me Up, Alan :)

I'm not a huge person, so this may differ for others, but I found that with the relatively low levels of activity on the train, and the high levels of too much food at mealtimes (especially actually eating breakfast, something I don't do often at home), I spend pretty much the entire trip feeling stuff and not touching much of the snacks we've brought. My kids eat more of the snacks, since they're more sensible eaters when faced with a plate of too much food in the dining car (they only eat what they're hungry for...), and so need to graze more than I seem to on the train.

Power strip in the sleeper is great- in the family bedroom I bring one with a really long power cable since the single outlet in that room is not convenient to anywhere in the room- I don't know where it is in the regular bedrooms or the HA bedroom (the outlet is, of course, extremely convenient in roomettes, since there's nowhere it could be that would be further than 3' from anywhere else in the room :p ).

I've never had a problem with the pillows in the sleepers.

It's all personal preference, but I carry a lightweight portable radio that covers AM/FM/shortwave bands, a small active receiving loop antenna with a suction cup for the roomette window and a set of headphones. It's nice to tune around local stations and at night pick up the world bands. Bungee cords are nice for securement of all types of gear.

:rolleyes:

I've compiled this list from various threads on this board:

1. A small flashlight – for use at night or to see stuff dropped under seats

2. 3 or 4 large pins like the diaper pins or safety pins (this is to keep the curtains closed at night)

3. Some small snack packs for nibbling

4. A roll of transparent tape

5. A very small sewing kit and

6. A few Band-Aids

7. A few rubber bands

8. Moist towelettes.

9. Take along 12" or so of duct tape, wrapped around a ballpoint pen. Use the tape to silence any squeaky panels or fixtures inside your roomette. Bring even more, and some heavy folder-type paper, to cover excessive vents.

10. Wire - 16 or 18 gauge, to hold door shut

11. 3-prong extension cord

12. Instead of pjs, take lightweight knit pants and a t shirt to sleep in. Then if you get up during the night to use the bathroom you are for all purposes dressed.

13. A small bottle of water as there have been times in the past when they run out.

14. A route guide - that makes the trip more interesting.

This sounds like a lot of stuff, but it could easily fit into a quart or gallon-size bag.

Back