!st trip question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
I'm going on the SM,CL,EB,CS,CZ in Sept. Curious to how many cars may be on these trains and how many Lounge,diner,Parlor cars there will be to accomadate them?

Each train will be some 7-9 cars long, not counting the baggage car. 2-3 coaches, a diner, one lounge, and two (sometimes three) sleeping cars. Per train.

I made this list somewhere, but I forget where. Maybe someone should pin it.

Anyways, here goes:

Silver Meteor/Silver Star:

2 P42s, 1 Heritage Baggage, 2 or 3 Viewliner sleepers, Heritage Diner, Amfleet II Lounge, 3 to 5 Amfleet II coaches

Capitol Limited, California Zephyr:

2 P42s, 1 Heritage Baggage, Superliner II Transition Sleeper/Dorm, 2 Superliner Sleepers, Superliner SDS diner, Superliner Sightseer Lounge, 2-3 Superliner coaches.

Coast Starlight:

2-3 varied Amtrak diesels, Heritage Baggage, Superliner Trans-Sleeper/Dorm, 3 Superliner Sleepers, Heritage Hi-Level Pacific Parlour lounge car, Superliner Diner, Superliner Sightseer Lounge, Superliner Kiddie/Arcade coach, 2 Superliner Coaches

Empire Builder:

2-3 P42s, Heritage Baggage, Superliner Trans-Sleeper/Dorm, 2 Superliner Sleepers, Superliner Diner, 2 Superliner Coaches, Superliner Sightseer Lounge, Superliner Coach-Baggage, Superliner Coach, Superliner Sleeper.

The Sightseer lounge, Coach Baggage, Coach, and Superliner Sleeper at the rear will be split off in Spokane and go to Portland, while the rest will go to Seattle.

I made this list somewhere, but I forget where. Maybe someone should pin it.
Anyways, here goes:

Silver Meteor/Silver Star:

2 P42s, 1 Heritage Baggage, 2 or 3 Viewliner sleepers, Heritage Diner, Amfleet II Lounge, 3 to 5 Amfleet II coaches

2 P42s, 1 Heritage Baggage, Superliner II Transition Sleeper/Dorm, 2 Superliner Sleepers, Superliner SDS diner, Superliner Sightseer Lounge, 2-3 Superliner coaches.

Coast Starlight:

2-3 varied Amtrak diesels, Heritage Baggage, Superliner Trans-Sleeper/Dorm, 3 Superliner Sleepers, Heritage Hi-Level Pacific Parlour lounge car, Superliner Diner, Superliner Sightseer Lounge, Superliner Kiddie/Arcade coach, 2 Superliner Coaches

Empire Builder:

2-3 P42s, Heritage Baggage, Superliner Trans-Sleeper/Dorm, 2 Superliner Sleepers, Superliner Diner, 2 Superliner Coaches, Superliner Sightseer Lounge, Superliner Coach-Baggage, Superliner Coach, Superliner Sleeper.

The Sightseer lounge, Coach Baggage, Coach, and Superliner Sleeper at the rear will be split off in Spokane and go to Portland, while the rest will go to Seattle.
WOW!

Thanx :eek:

About how many people is that?

Taking the above trains as a sample and assuming that they are sold out to the fullest capacity, that could mean 238 passengers with 2 coaches, 313 with 3 coaches. By fullest capacity, I mean each sleeping compartment at capacity. That rarely happens, many only have one occupent rather than two.

Ps. It's not always necessary to start a new topic for each question. You can just keep adding questions to the same topic. That will save on your having to always retype the train list that you're riding. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
About how many people is that?

Taking the above trains as a sample and assuming that they are sold out to the fullest capacity, that could mean 238 passengers with 2 coaches, 313 with 3 coaches. By fullest capacity, I mean each sleeping compartment at capacity. That rarely happens, many only have one occupent rather than two.

Ps. It's not always necessary to start a new topic for each question. You can just keep adding questions to the same topic. That will save on your having to always retype the train list that you're riding. :)
I guess that means the diner & sightseer are pretty full? <_<

They can be. It all just depends on how full the train is and where people are getting on and off. And in the case of the lounge car, just how nice do people consider the scenery in that area to be.

They can be. It all just depends on how full the train is and where people are getting on and off. And in the case of the lounge car, just how nice do people consider the scenery in that area to be.

Never been on one,what is your opinion?
My opinion on what? :unsure: The train? The lounge car? How full the train will be? I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you're looking for here. :blink:

I like it, all the time. Either there is good scenery outside, or interesting people to observe or interact with inside. I happen to enjoy drinking, and do take advantage of the lack of responsibility when riding a train. I mean, I don't get smashed, or whatnot, but I drink more than I would in a location where I would soon have to drive a car.

Whether the scenery is worthwhile depends on what impresses you and where you are geographically.

Never been on one,what is your opinion?
My opinion on what? :unsure: The train? The lounge car? How full the train will be? I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you're looking for here. :blink:
I'm sorry! I misunderstood you!

Actually (and surprisingly) I've found the opposite! I spend most of my day in the Sightseer Lounge car, and the majority of the time, there are plenty of seats there! I think many people figure "Lounge car - you must need to spend money there!" No, you don't! And it's a great place to view the passing scenery - and meet your fellow travelers (and not just the person you're sitting next to in coach)! And for those in sleepers, it's a great place to come out of your room for.

As far as diners, breakfast is first come - first served and open seating for everyone on the train. But most often, you can get a seat right off. If not, they take your name on a list, and you wait to be called when they have an opening. Lunch and dinner are by reservation, with sleeping car passengers given priority. (Remember - sleeping car passengers have all meals included!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back