My Old Rail Videos

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
Perhaps you may have seen my 1950's Rail Slides, one that I took when I was a teenager around the mid-west. I was able to scan the old slides I fortunately kept all these years and enjoy today.

I also took some 8mm movies in those days and have finally been able to get them converted to digital files for upload to You Tube.

Unlike the slides I don't have anyway to "enhance" these clips so they are as they were taken when I was 12-14 years old and using a very inexpensive little Kodak movie camera. I wasn't much of a photographer in those days, but perhaps these might bring back some memories for a few of you. I'll start with a few from Louisville, where I grew up in the 40's and 50's, and right across the river in New Albany, IN where the Monon, Southern, and B&O all crossed over the Ohio River into Louisville on the same bridge. That bridge is still there today and still used by the freight railroads.

Back in the 50's one could wander around in the rail yards without fear of anyone asking you to leave, or worse. In the video clip with the fellow standing in front of the L&N engine, I can tell you that is Jim Herron, of Herron Rail Video fame. Jim and I went to high school together and both had a love for passenger trains in those days. Many a Saturday would find us at Louisville Union Station or in New Albany doing our train watching thing. Jim kept with it and has a terrific video business he has built up over the years.

So - here are a few clips to start this off. I'll post more later.

Tom

This clip shows an L&N Engine, then a PRR local pulling into the station. The tracks come in from the south to the north and they would pull a train headed for Chicago in engine first as they would then back out to pull forward an go west and north across the river. Then we see The Southwind arriving from Chicago. It has to pull down to the south and back into the station to then continue its journey on south to Florida. Louisville was also a crew change as L&N took over from PRR at this stop.

Louisville Union Station

This next clip is of a B&O freight coming from Louisville across the bridge in New Albany heading north. Then a B&O passenger train pulls in to cross the bridge heading to Louisville Central Station (long gone and replaced with I-64)

Questions - comments - let me know.

I'll post some Chicago and Cincinnati later.

Thanks, MrFSS! Only saw the New Albany Steam clip - very cool - but I've made a note and will see the rest next time I get my hands on a high-speed connection (probably while traveling, and what better time?).

And I loved te PRR wiskers, and with an 8mm format who says your talent does not show!

Mahalo

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
Back