A couple of Auto Train questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

I'm hoping someone here can answer a couple of questions I have about the Auto Train. I've been on it a few times before, so I know the routine, but I couldn't find the answers to these anywhere.

A few months back I bought a couple of tix on the northbound 52. At the time of purchase, my options were to pick up at the train station (free) or mail ($12!). In the past, they've always mailed tickets for free if it's far enough away in time. Now, I don't mind picking up the tickets at the station (frankly, I prefer that). But, as I recall, there's a little booth you hit before you get to the station proper in Sanford. And at this booth, there's a person checking tickets. So, will I have to go somewhere and pick up the tickets before we get to Sanford? Or will the confirmation print-out suffice for this purpose? If I have to get the tickets ahead of time, I assume I can get them at any station or QuikTrak machine with the reservation number, right?

We booked a bedroom for the trip. I can tell from the room number (or rather, letter) that we're in one of the "deluxe" sleepers with ten bedrooms on the upper level instead of the 5 bedrooms and 10 roomettes. Anyone have a car diagram for one of these sleepers? I've seen the ones for the regular Superliner Sleeper but not this special Deluxe Sleeper.

Thanks in advance,

--Joe

A few months back I bought a couple of tix on the northbound 52. At the time of purchase, my options were to pick up at the train station (free) or mail ($12!). In the past, they've always mailed tickets for free if it's far enough away in time. Now, I don't mind picking up the tickets at the station (frankly, I prefer that). But, as I recall, there's a little booth you hit before you get to the station proper in Sanford. And at this booth, there's a person checking tickets. So, will I have to go somewhere and pick up the tickets before we get to Sanford? Or will the confirmation print-out suffice for this purpose? If I have to get the tickets ahead of time, I assume I can get them at any station or QuikTrak machine with the reservation number, right?
Joe,

Yes, Amtrak stopped mailing tickets to save money. Oddly enough though, they still mail Guest Rewards tickets even if you don't want them to.

However to answer your specific question, the attendant at the checkin booth will have your tickets waiting for you. Make sure that you have your reservation number as that will help them to find the tickets and you will most likely be asked for photo ID to obtain the tickets. Further info can be found over at OTOL's Auto Train HInts & Tips.

We booked a bedroom for the trip. I can tell from the room number (or rather, letter) that we're in one of the "deluxe" sleepers with ten bedrooms on the upper level instead of the 5 bedrooms and 10 roomettes. Anyone have a car diagram for one of these sleepers? I've seen the ones for the regular Superliner Sleeper but not this special Deluxe Sleeper.
I don't think that I've ever seen a car diagram for the Deluxe Sleeper as they are still called, but basically just look at the regular Superliner sleeper diagram. Then take out all the roomettes and the bathroom, and then fill in that area with five bedrooms.

IIRC the room numbers (letters) start with J and end with O.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I think the emergency information card in the room has a diagram of the car. If it does, I'll try to get a decent picture.

Thanks! I think the emergency information card in the room has a diagram of the car. If it does, I'll try to get a decent picture.
I could be wrong, but I don't think that the emergency card does have a diagram of the Deluxe Sleeper. I know that the cards used in the bulk of the Superliners doesn't have the Deluxe Sleeper. And with only 6 original cars it wouldn't really make sense to print up unique cards just for those six cars. And they aren't really all that different from the normal sleepers, such that you can't figure out how to get out of the car in an emergency.

Sorry to drag up this oldie; I just wanted to add a couple of tid-bits.

The guy in the booth didn't have the tickets but he did check my name against the passenger list. I just showed him the reservation from the website; that was sufficient. Got the tickets inside the station building (such that it is). Easy as pie.

We were on the A. Philip Randolph, room L. Coincidentally, last time we did this were also in room L, but I think it was the W. Graham Claytor car.

The bedrooms go A-E then J-N. We got lucky that our "couch" was facing forward.

The card in the room actually had small diagrams for all the cars: coach, diner, lounge, sleeper, deluxe sleeper and crew car. None of my pix turned out, however. :(

The safety cards do show the deluxe sleepers diagrams. Here they are...

AmtrakDiagramDeluxeSleeperUpper.jpg

AmtrakDiagramDeluxeSleeperLower.jpg

The safety cards do show the deluxe sleepers diagrams. Here they are...

AmtrakDiagramDeluxeSleeperUpper.jpg

AmtrakDiagramDeluxeSleeperLower.jpg
I have a followup question regarding this 4 year old thread. In the Auto Train (AT) deluxe sleepers(5241/5341 and 5240/5340) I know the SCA is assigned to a roomette in the lower level. Does anyone know the ususal roomette number? I am in the process of booking a AT reservation and thought I would try to get a roomette in this car. Yeah I know it will be on the lower level and perhaps located to a noisy family room. Just thought I would give it a try especially since the bathrooms should always be available for use since there should be no traffic from the upper level. My natural choice will either be roomette 11 or 12.

My wife and I will be taking the auto train with 2 motorcycles. Who ties them down? Amtrak workers or us?

Thanks

My wife and I will be taking the auto train with 2 motorcycles. Who ties them down? Amtrak workers or us?

Thanks
Amtrak employees will secure them in the railcars. I don't think passengers are even allowed into the railcars for any reason.
Nope.

In the case of motorcycles Amtrak employees will help the passengers load their bikes onto special carriers. Those carriers are then placed into the Auto Racks by Amtrak employees.

Rod, Also be sure that you comply with the other requirements for motorcycles, like arriving no later than 2 hours prior to the 4 PM departure and that your bikes meet the requirements. All details can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back