Athearn's new Amtrak CF7s

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P40Power

OBS Chief
I found on Ebay today two different auctions for Athearns new HO CF7 locomotives painted up for Amtrak in two different schemes. One had the all silver work train paint and one in an odd Phase III paint job. Athearn does a great job in accuracy (or did) on most of its products over the years (the AMD-103 and F59PHI are two great examples of beautiful Athearn products) but these CF7s look terrible, definatly not prototypical!

"Phase III" CF7 on Ebay, check it out

Now it isnt the body itself that isnt correct, Athearn looks like they have done a good job on that aspect. But I have NEVER seen an Amtrak CF7 painted like their Phase III version. The all silver version also looked odd with the Amtrak lettering and numbering looking like they are out of place.

Now unforunately the Amtrak Photo Archive is closed for restructuring, but I do believe that there were a couple units oddly painted as the one you see by Athearn. I think it was an early '80's scheme or maybe the paintshop was just having fun with the design. However, I do think that the paint job is an Amtrak origional.

Really Amfleet? Well I guess I could be mistaken, but if Amtrak really did a paintjob like that, what a cob job!! The stripes on the ends dont match and the logo doesnt look right at all! The front of the loco looks nice though.

I myself was looking for pictures of CF7s this evening, but like you mentioned Amfleet, the Amtrak Photo Archive is down and I had terrible luck finding pictures of any CF7s elsewhere.

Hm... It seems that Amtrak really had fun with Phase III back in the 80's and 90's. Maybe half of it's equipment (despite being in the same phase) had matching stripes!

And if you desire proof of that bizarre CF-7 phase...

amt593-x304-y150.jpg

I'm sure that some would describe it as being...unique. XP

By the way, hello to all, I'm Mirai Zikasu, a long-time lurker on this board. It a pleasure to meet you all. ^_^

Well I stand corrected, I guess they did have them in that paintjob . . . and might I add what an unprofessional looking paintjob it was!!

Back