More Popular?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Late Shore-

Train Attendant
Hey all,

Which train do you think is more popular? The California Zephyr or the Southwest Chief? Based upon my "research" of sleeping car accomodations on the chief, at most times of the year, they are very high on that train. But quantity doesn't necessairily mean quality. I think the Zephyr holds an edge because of the scenery in the Rocky mountains and even the scenery in eastern Utah (which is what I'm looking for ward to most of all when I do go to Las Vegas in February, even though it's mostly mountain ranges, but the Book Cliffs must be a sight! :) ), however, on the other hand, the Chief has it's own brand of fans as it traverses the old Route 66 from what I understand.

Thats where you come in. which do YOU think is a more popular, or which train has the better service, or is just plain ol' better than it's cousin?

The other question is this. Does anyone here know more than the basics of the 6 and one-half mile long Moffat Tunnel in Colorado? I know when it was built and all, but what I'm wondering is, hey, should I bring a flashlight? :( I'm not overly fond of tunnels as you can tell. Does the Zephyr climb grades while traversing the tunnel inside? And, does it ever occur that the train would have to stop "on a siding" inside to let another train pass? Any additional infor mation would be greatly appreciated. :)

I would think that the Southwest Chief might have the advantage as it serves Los Angeles vs. the California Zephyr going to Emeryville.

SW Chief has higher speed limit- 90 MPH on most of track. Its scenery is more like of a desert while Zephyr is more of mountains.

For speeder- take SW Chief.

For wow- take Zephyr.

For me, either one. B)

My favorite is the Zephyr. Everytime I am on the chief, I am underwhelmed by the scenery. The 90 mph is only for certain segments. Raton pass is ok, but it does not match the Zephyr's assault on the front range at all.

I would give the CZ a slight edge just becasue of the magnificent scenery. The Southwest Chief is a faster train, of rourse. but otherwise they are so similar...my vote goes to the CZ.

Late Shore,

I agree with other the other comments about the Zephyr's scenery. The "assualt on the Front Range" (westbound) is particularly fantastic, especially as you keep twisting and turning up into the mountains. In Glenwood Canyon, it is very interesting to see how they built Interstate 70 practically into the canyon walls in the attempt to pacify the environmentalists. I thought the trip through the Sierra Nevada range was even more scenic than that through the Rockies.

If I remember correctly, Moffat Tunnel is about 6.5 miles long. It takes approximately 10 minutes to get through it. I'm not quite sure why you think you might need a flashlight. The lights in the train don't go off. Maybe you want to see outside the window? It is pretty dark for those 10 minutes! :)

When going through the tunnel, you're not supposed to travel between cars. This is to keep the exhaust fumes from entering the cars. This tunnel is where you cross the Continental Divide and I believe the "peak" is reached somewhere while you're inside. You're still going up when you enter and are beginning to come down when you exit.

The Zephyr is a beatiful ride. I have not ridden the Southwest Chief so I can't really make comparisons but I have been in the desert southwest before. I would have to believe that, overall, the Zephyr's scenery must surpass that of the Chief. To each his own, of course.

seajay

Yes, the gentle sway of the rails will lull you to sleep each night on board!

:D

seajay

I guess it's the train that sways, not the rails...

:lol:

seajay

I whish my room was a Viewliner Standard room. :lol: Those double windows sure would give a better inpression on those trees out sied my window. And now I won't even have to get up to use the bathroom, the toilet will be right there!!!! :lol:

Amfleet said:
I whish my room was a Viewliner Standard room. :lol: Those double windows sure would give a better inpression on those trees out sied my window. And now I won't even have to get up to use the bathroom, the toilet will be right there!!!! :lol:
Wish mine was a Viewliner Deluxe Room. Forunately I have my own "floor" and the toilet's only a few steps away. :lol:

While riding an overnight train from Berlin to Paris last year, my sister, brother-in-law, and I shared a compartment. They both said they didn't sleep very well because the train was moving too much. I, on the other hand, slept like a baby! :lol:

seajay

Amfleet said:
I usually can't get to sleep until midnight to 1 am, but once I'm out I won't wake up till 6-7am. B)
I can fall asleep between 11pm and midnight. I wake up at 6:30 on the weekdays, but I could sleep a lot longer.

I usually can't get to sleep until midnight to 1 am, but once I'm out I won't wake up till 6-7am.
I meant on the train, but normally I get to sleep around midnight (after watching Seinfeild :D ) and wake up around 6:00am. Bus comes by around 7:10am. :)

Amfleet said:
I usually can't get to sleep until midnight to 1 am, but once I'm out I won't wake up till 6-7am.
I meant on the train, but normally I get to sleep around midnight (after watching Seinfeild :D ) and wake up around 6:00am. Bus comes by around 7:10am. :)
:eek: On the train usually the Silver Meteor, I can make it to Richmond (#97) and Charleston (#98). But thats if I try to stay up, and also if my little brother doesn't sleep on (and hog) the top berth. Boy I sure love those Viewliners.

abr62000.jpg

Here, I even posted a non 62091 photo. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back