Amtrak in the Movies

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amfleet Fan

Service Attendant
Here's an interesting topic I thought of the other night. I was watching a movie I have never seen before and was pleasantly surprised to see a cameo appearance by an Amtrak train.

As they say any "press" is good press.

So, is it possible to name all the movies that feature only Amtrak trains.

Some of the few I know of:

The Italian Job (Coast Starlight)

The Grifters (F40 & Amfleet)

Rain Main (Amfleet/Metroliner Cab Car)

Next of Kin (Heritage Coaches)

The Freshman (F40 & Amfleet - Vermonter?)

Memoirs of an Invisible Man (Amfleet Coaches)

I can't think of the name off the top of my head but there was one about a year ago where steve Harvey (I think) ran for President and there was an Amtrak train in the background of one of the scenes.

I know the movie Double Take had a very amusing scene of the two main characters on a superliner train. One of the characters ends up getting knocked off the train by a railroad crossing gate.

Besides those mentioned above, I know of three movies that feature Amtrak trains.

There is quite a bit of Superliner footage in Double Take.

Towards the end of Cheaper by the Dozen, there are some interior and exterior shots of a Superliner Coach.

I know there are some shots of a sleeper in Species, but my memory is vague...

battalion51 said:
I can't think of the name off the top of my head but there was one about a year ago where steve Harvey (I think) ran for President and there was an Amtrak train in the background of one of the scenes.
Head of State?

The trailer had Bernie Mac's character getting off an acela regional in the lava lamp scheme. I dont know how much of that was in the film; i didnt see it.

Another movie with abundant trains is Clifford. Terrible movie, but Charles Grodin's character gets on a superliner in phase III going from LA to "San Francisco". He doesn't seem to enjoy the ride, much. Some good platform shots and interior views of the train.

And of course we can't forget the "accident" in Pearl Harbor. As Rafe leaves to go to Europe on the train the rear of an Amtrak P42 can be seen over his left shoulder out the window. Look closely next time you watch.

battalion51 said:
And of course we can't forget the "accident" in Pearl Harbor. As Rafe leaves to go to Europe on the train the rear of an Amtrak P42 can be seen over his left shoulder out the window. Look closely next time you watch.
:lol: really? I had not noticed that before. Can you recall about how far into the movie that is? I’m the kind of person who always looks for errors in movies.....like all those "innocent" Disney movies. I might just go out and rent it again to find the error.

(yay for post #500 :lol: )

What about the movie, "Loose Cannons" with Gene Hackman and Dan Akyroyd?

If you don't own the film "Narrow Margin", then I suggest you go buy it. It's a classic story on board a train. I cannot rave enough great reviews on the film because this is not a film review website, lol....so, you'll just haveta see for yourself. But, if you like action, suspense, and drama, BUY IT! :)

If the animated world counts I was watching South Park Wednesday night and Kyle was buying a train ticket to NY with a train in the background that looked just like superliner cars except with rainbow colored stripes. The car he sat in where he met up with Mr. Garrison looked suspiciously like a Sightseer Lounge.

Also, I know LAUPT was in at least one of the "Oh God You Devil" movies but were there any track shots of Amtrak equipment in them. It's been a long time since I've seen them but I think there is the possibility.

Yes, I saw that Southpark episode too and speaking of Amtrak in cartoons, how could one not forget the Simpsons! They're are a number of episodes where Amtrak look a like trains are in the scene.

The best Amtrak train scene in the Simpsons is the one where Mr Burns is comming back from a Yale game in his private car on the back of an All Amfleet train and all of the sudden the brakes lock up and everyone goes flying forward and the announcement comes:

"Attention passengers we are delayed because there is a discarded couch on the track"

They do a quick shot up to the locomotive which looks like an F-40PH and it shows the whole train crew standing there looking at the couch and trying to figure out what to do!!

I can definatly see that happening in real life :lol:

I never saw that episode. :angry: As for the scene with the Amtrak mess up in Peral Harbor, I believe it's in either Chapter 8 or 9 on Disc 1 of the DVD.

-Late Shore- said:
What about the movie, "Loose Cannons" with Gene Hackman and Dan Akyroyd?
If you don't own the film "Narrow Margin", then I suggest you go buy it. It's a classic story on board a train. I cannot rave enough great reviews on the film because this is not a film review website, lol....so, you'll just haveta see for yourself. But, if you like action, suspense, and drama, BUY IT! :)
That movie "Loose Cannons" featured the Viewliner Diner. Talk about rare equipment to see on film.

Also, some others I thought of:

Midnight Run - Lake Shore Limited (Sleeper & Dining Car Shots)

The Last Detail (Early Amtrak - PC GG1 & Coaches)

Clockers - Superliner

Trading Places - Metroliners

I know there are a lot more movies out there that feature Amtrak.

battalion51 said:
There won't be a "next time" to watch this horrible movie. Once was more than enough!

:lol:

It all depends on your perspective. I enjoy the movie because it keeps the memories alive of that tragic day, it was not an event to be swept under the rug. Not to mention the amazing special effects that were done in the movie as well.

Are TV appearances acceptable in this category? If so:

There was an episode of "Starman" (starring Robert Hays and C.B. Barnes) in which the two men boarded an Amtrak Superliner train on their way north to Portland (I believe). They were getting on at the Santa Barbara station, and a Superliner train was shown. This was back in 1986-87.

On a TV movie version of "Murder, She Wrote," Jessica Fletcher (Angela Lansbury) was onboard the Sunset Limited when things began to happen (like a new murder mystery).

The Travel Channel has a program about Glacier National Park in which there are extended scenes both onboard and from outside (including aerial shots) of the Empire Builder train passing through the park. There are also shots of the Glacier Park Station and of the Isaak Walton Inn, which is near the BNSF tracks and is a railfan's attraction in itelf. Keep a look out for it as the channel frequently replays it. Thre are also some historic shots of the Great Northern steam trains in operation.

The 1993 remake of "The Getaway" with Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger had some good interior and exterior shots of a Superliner train out in Arizona somewhere. They had a chases scene through the Sightseer Lounge and a coach if i'm not mistaken.

battalion51 said:
It all depends on your perspective. I enjoy the movie because it keeps the memories alive of that tragic day, it was not an event to be swept under the rug. Not to mention the amazing special effects that were done in the movie as well.
I wasn't trying to sweep anything under the rug. I just don't happen to think it's a particularly good movie. Like "Titanic" before it, it's just a another badly-acted, run-of-the-mill, very schlocky fictional love story set against a famous historical event with more emphasis on special effects than a good script. I'd watch "Tora, Tora, Tora" a hundred times before watching "Pearl Harbor" again.

My opinion. Agree. Disagree. Whatever.

Hmm, you fellas are forgetting quite a few! :lol:

Tootsie (Turboliner, FL9?)

-Continental Divide (Superliner Empire Builder, P30CHs)

-Disaster on the Coastliner (F40PHs, Amfleets)

-The Bosses Wife (SDP40Fs, various other equipment)

-In The Heat Of The Night (GM&O E-units at the beginning of the original movie, B) Amtrak F40PHs in the opening credits of the TV series)

-In Tandem (this made for TV movie was the pilot episode of the short lived "Movin' On" TV series. Right at the very end before the credits there is a brief glimpse of a pair of Southern Pacific SDP45s with an Amtrak train in tow!).

I'm sure I can think of a few others, but those are right on the top of my head.

BTW, this is my 1st post here. 'Tis good to be here. 'Tis good indeed.

:)

Don

the last five minutes or so of the movie "Hurricane Streets" is staged in a Viewliner deluxe bedroom

There are good shots of an Amtrak train at the beginning of "Witness", as Kelly McGillis and her son ride to Philadelphia.

Good non-Amtrak train footage in Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train" and "North by Northwest".

Back