Historic stations/depots

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be travelling with the North American Rail Pass this October/November. I'm a history buff so I want to use this opportunity to see some of the historic stations and infrastructure of America's rail system.

I am particularly interested in Fred Harvey hotels. But I am also interested in beautiful old train stations. I'd love to use this forum to assemble a list of tourist-friendly historic Amtrak stops.

I'll start it off by sharing this link to a site that lists most or all of the Fred Harvey properties in the country. I'm not sure how many of these are visible from the current tracks.

Fred Harvey Houses Website

Thanks for your help on this project.

Steve

If you're interested in historic train stations, I highly recommend making sure to visit Portland Union Station in Portland, OR. It was built in the late 1800's, and it is in fantastic shape. The building is a great example of late 1800's architecture. With the exception of a few electronic devices (monitors, ATM, etc.) the waiting room looks a lot like it must have back when the building was built. Well worth the visit.

There is a board telling us about the history of LAUPT (LAUS). It can be found on the left side (empty ticket booths) from the main entrance.

If you're at LAUS, look at the ceiling where the wall meet (main entrance doors). Part of it was cleaned out. The ceiling are really dirty! Probably from smoking.

During today times, LAUS is a very busy station serving Amtrak and commuter trains. Very few modern stuffs are shown- arrival/departure board. It a must to see for history buff!

BTW, be sure to visit the historical LA which can be found across the street from LAUS. It's a birthplace of LA. Again, there are museums telling us about it, including water from the north.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back