A New Look For Our Forum

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
Big changes are afoot for our forum in the future.

The first change which has already taken place is the appointment of Tom (MrFss) as a forum moderator. Tom will be in charge of one of our new forums, the Non-train Transit Forum. Please join me in welcoming Tom as a moderator and I trust that all will give him their full support. :)

The second change which will occur before this weekend is over, will see the addition of several new forums to allow for better grouping of some existing topics, as well as new subjects that we haven't dealt with before. I'll also be reorganizing how the forums are grouped and adding two new categories.

The third change which hopefully will occur within the next month of so, will be the upgrading of our forum's software to the latest version. This probably won't be too big of a deal for the members, although things will look a bit different and perhaps work slightly different than they currently do. It will however mean bigger changes for our guest posters.

All guests will now have to enter a code for each post that they make. We regret that this will make it harder for our valued guests, but sadly it is the only way to continue to help control the spammers. Despite our past efforts which have helped considerably, at least in terms of shielding everyone from seeing their nonsense, the spammers continue to ruthlessly attack the forum with their useless nonsense. The moderating staff is routinely dealing with chasing down and deleting over 70 spam posts every day.

It takes considerable time to track down all this spam and delete it. I know that I’m spending at least a half an hour each day, perhaps more, since I suspect that I probably find more of it than the rest of the team simply because I’m able to be online most of the day. But it wouldn’t surprise me to find out that collectively the 4 of us are wasting more than 1 hour each day, deleting nonsense.

It is our fervent hope that the new software which will unfortunately require guests to enter this constantly changing code each time they want to post something, will cut down on the spam. Otherwise without some other way of stopping the spammers, we may well have no choice to stop allowing guests to post in the future.

Anthony and I do apologize that we must make things more difficult for our valued guests, but unfortunately as is all too common in our world; a few idiots like to spoil things for the vast majority of the good people.

Finally the fourth change, once the new software is in place, is that Anthony hopes to create a different background or skin for the forum. If you really have your heart set on the current blue, I don’t think that we’ll delete it either, but I would certainly encourage everyone to at least try the new skin once it is available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard, Tom! :)

It will be great to have some individual representation in some of our non-Amtrak sections, and the non-rail forum is a great place to start.

Back