Amtrak Dome Coaches

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amfleet Fan

Service Attendant
Walther's is really covering the "H.O." line of Amtrak equipment, they've just released their Dome Coach.

What's next? Since it seems like you can get every type of Heritage Car Amtrak ever had from them.

Unfortunately, the smoothside cars are only in Phase I.

See the link below:

Phase III Dome Coach

I've seen it, it's a beauty, really would like one of those in Phase III. It'll be a while, since I got two Viewliners painted in their intial Phase III (Walthers only makes it in IV). Be nice if they came out with those, and maybe some Amfleet I's for Metroliner Service (III and IV, I have a lounge in III from ebay), Northeast Direct in III, and Amfleet Is and IIs in VI and maybe Amfleet I's in V. I wish they'd model Viewliner 8400.

Just for the historical record, Amfleet, I seem to recall that the Capitol Limited (and some other trains on the B&O) were among the first eastern trains to have domes in pre-Amtrak times. Another example was the Florida Special, a winter season only train which DID last into the early Amtrak years. It had a dome from Richmond to Miami.

Itis nice to note that the model industry is getting so extensive.

Amfleet said:
I think I would like to start a Capitol Limited in it's old Heritage consist. It was one of the few trains that carried a Dome Coach into the mid 1990's.
You could make it the Lake Shore Limited also Amfleet, it did carry a dome briefly between Albany and Chicago. In fact the dome made it to Boston at least once. Would be nice to have your home route on your layout if you haven't done it already. Personally I'd like to do (gradually) a "Dream Consist" of all Viewliners (my design) in Phase III, would be either the Silver Meteor (more likely) or the Broadway Limited.

Viewliner said:
Amfleet said:
I think I would like to start a Capitol Limited in it's old Heritage consist. It was one of the few trains that carried a Dome Coach into the mid 1990's.
You could make it the Lake Shore Limited also Amfleet, it did carry a dome briefly between Albany and Chicago. In fact the dome made it to Boston at least once. Would be nice to have your home route on your layout if you haven't done it already. Personally I'd like to do (gradually) a "Dream Consist" of all Viewliners (my design) in Phase III, would be either the Silver Meteor (more likely) or the Broadway Limited.
A dome did in make it to Boston in the early '90's. It must have been before the parking garage and regional transportation center went up over the platforms. That ended up putting clearance restriction into South Station.

Too bad about the BOS situation. Anyway, wouldn't the LSL be a better choice since you already have a Capitol Limited?

I think I might make an exception to my all Viewliner Consist with the Dome coach. :D B)

AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
Too bad about the BOS situation.
Hey, just get a retractable dome. :lol: :D :)
An Am(con)veritable. :lol: Seriously, I have the CL in Superliners, and would like to do one with Heritage cars as it is my favorite LD train. I can also easily make up a Boston section of the LSL with the cars have anyways.

Back