Amtrak's OBS Employees.....a view from the "other side"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Service Attendant
The following is adapted from a post I did last year on trainorders.com-

Having retired from Amtrak after 19 years as a frontline employee, I think that the most basic problem in all areas is the total lack of a consistent management message/philosophy since the Graham Claytor era.

Things have been pretty much revolving-door since Mr. Claytor, and various customer-focus programs have popped up then disappeared without a trace. Amtrak has spent millions over the years on a variety of nationwide customer service training classes wherein the frontline troops were promised all sorts of improvements and top-level support in delivery of service. Sad to say, it pretty much all came to nothing.

The worst of these "promises not kept" I experienced was during George Warrington's tenure, when "passengers" became "guests" and OBS employees systemwide attended "Guest Services" training classes. Fellow OBS employees (including me) were recruited to be the instructors and told by management to pass on the assurance of all manner of good things to come. A key tool in coping with unhappy passengers (oops, I mean "guests") aboard the trains was the empowerment of every employee to take prompt action to turn the situation around. This included the ability to comp food/beverage items from the lounge car or meals in the dining car. A "Guest Services Handbook", published at no small expense, had page after page of all the service enhancements that would "soon" be rolling out.

This program started falling apart even as it was being taught, as it had been rolled out from Corporate without consultation with local managers. At my crew base, it was a bone of contention with the local Human Resources staff who normally handled employee training and resented being bypassed. The program did work in some aspects for awhile but was never fully implemented. I was able to use the problem-resolution setup on a number of occasions and it was a great tool. My most satisfying moment was being able to comp breakfast or lunch in the dining car on the westbound Sunset Limited for about 20 coach passengers who had been shabbily treated in San Antonio. After receiving many words of appreciation from those folks, a few hours later I was being reprimanded by a San Antonio-based manager who had never heard of the program and couldn't believe his bosses would approve.

The "Guest Services" program faded from sight after a relatively short time, those at Corporate who had set it up went on to other things, and those of us who had agreed to be instructors were left looking (and feeling) like the jerks we were.

Employee morale was very low during the Downs and Warrington administrations, only to take a sharp spike upward when David Gunn came in. We thought that at last there was someone running the company who might actually care about his trains and his employees. "Proud to be Under the Gunn" T-shirts appeared, and there were management shakeups that amounted to more than rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Mr. Gunn wasn't perfect, of course, and had his fair share of detractors. But things did seem to be looking up and employees finally had reason to be somewhat optimistic. "Guests" became "passengers" once again. Strategic Business Units that wasted money and management titles, not to mention creating three separate and unequal Amtraks, disappeared. So did "Product Lines" and calling Road Foremen of Engines and Trainmasters, "Service Managers". It began to look like it might be a real railroad again.

We started to think that perhaps a lot of mid- and lower-level managers, who were more interested in maintaining the status quo and covering their backsides, might actually have to MANAGE and, heaven forbid, problem-solve. There were, of course, many good Amtrak management people. But for too many of them, the operative phrase was "Do the best you can", which basically meant just get thru your trip this time the best you can and don't expect things to be any different next time.

I had retired before David Gunn's firing but am sure that most employees were very disappointed with his departure. I recall Art McMahon (Downs' VP-Pax Services, then CEO Intercity SBU) saying that it takes five years at minimum to change the corporate culture at a company as large as Amtrak. If there's no consistency, the culture will never change. And the door keeps revolving........

The following is adapted from a post I did last year on trainorders.com-
Having retired from Amtrak after 19 years as a frontline employee, I think that the most basic problem in all areas is the total lack of a consistent management message/philosophy since the Graham Claytor era.

Things have been pretty much revolving-door since Mr. Claytor, and various customer-focus programs have popped up then disappeared without a trace. Amtrak has spent millions over the years on a variety of nationwide customer service training classes wherein the frontline troops were promised all sorts of improvements and top-level support in delivery of service. Sad to say, it pretty much all came to nothing.

The worst of these "promises not kept" I experienced was during George Warrington's tenure, when "passengers" became "guests" and OBS employees systemwide attended "Guest Services" training classes. Fellow OBS employees (including me) were recruited to be the instructors and told by management to pass on the assurance of all manner of good things to come. A key tool in coping with unhappy passengers (oops, I mean "guests") aboard the trains was the empowerment of every employee to take prompt action to turn the situation around. This included the ability to comp food/beverage items from the lounge car or meals in the dining car. A "Guest Services Handbook", published at no small expense, had page after page of all the service enhancements that would "soon" be rolling out.

This program started falling apart even as it was being taught, as it had been rolled out from Corporate without consultation with local managers. At my crew base, it was a bone of contention with the local Human Resources staff who normally handled employee training and resented being bypassed. The program did work in some aspects for awhile but was never fully implemented. I was able to use the problem-resolution setup on a number of occasions and it was a great tool. My most satisfying moment was being able to comp breakfast or lunch in the dining car on the westbound Sunset Limited for about 20 coach passengers who had been shabbily treated in San Antonio. After receiving many words of appreciation from those folks, a few hours later I was being reprimanded by a San Antonio-based manager who had never heard of the program and couldn't believe his bosses would approve.

The "Guest Services" program faded from sight after a relatively short time, those at Corporate who had set it up went on to other things, and those of us who had agreed to be instructors were left looking (and feeling) like the jerks we were.

Employee morale was very low during the Downs and Warrington administrations, only to take a sharp spike upward when David Gunn came in. We thought that at last there was someone running the company who might actually care about his trains and his employees. "Proud to be Under the Gunn" T-shirts appeared, and there were management shakeups that amounted to more than rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Mr. Gunn wasn't perfect, of course, and had his fair share of detractors. But things did seem to be looking up and employees finally had reason to be somewhat optimistic. "Guests" became "passengers" once again. Strategic Business Units that wasted money and management titles, not to mention creating three separate and unequal Amtraks, disappeared. So did "Product Lines" and calling Road Foremen of Engines and Trainmasters, "Service Managers". It began to look like it might be a real railroad again.

We started to think that perhaps a lot of mid- and lower-level managers, who were more interested in maintaining the status quo and covering their backsides, might actually have to MANAGE and, heaven forbid, problem-solve. There were, of course, many good Amtrak management people. But for too many of them, the operative phrase was "Do the best you can", which basically meant just get thru your trip this time the best you can and don't expect things to be any different next time.

I had retired before David Gunn's firing but am sure that most employees were very disappointed with his departure. I recall Art McMahon (Downs' VP-Pax Services, then CEO Intercity SBU) saying that it takes five years at minimum to change the corporate culture at a company as large as Amtrak. If there's no consistency, the culture will never change. And the door keeps revolving........

As a former employee myself, separated due to furlough (and my choice to seek employment in the freight sector), I can concur with what is said here. And unfortunately, until some changes are made problems will continue as history makes its cycle. I personally believe the state of the company is more stable than it was prior to my departure. All this is thanks to Mr Gunn, as well as Mr Kummant for keeping an approach as a traditional railroad. It is time to get back to and stay with the basics of passenger railroading! When that occurs then we can persue growth with proper funding in place. But things must change financially within, too. That is strictly management's responsibility. And we shouldn't start at the bottom! As said in the above post, if there is no consistency, the culture will continue on as is! The door revolves some more............. OBS....

1702, you explained volumes to me. I finally "get" the picture of where the problems lie. Sounds like a bunch of empty promises, total frustration, lack of leadership, everything that can go wrong before a corporation in the private sector bellies up and is forced to close its doors.

It appears there is nothing solid and that Amtrak is a house of cards waiting to fall. It needs to just quit and start all over with some backbone. Good Lord! Amtrak personnel are managing themselves. Nobody is responsible, so nobody gets blamed, and nobody has to change anything.

Can you give us some picture of the timeline? I'm only a passenger and don't know who was at the "top" of Amtrak's hierarchy at any given time. From the point of view of a passenger, it would be interesting to know when some of these programs were implemented.

What a way to run a railroad!

Can you give us some picture of the timeline? I'm only a passenger and don't know who was at the "top" of Amtrak's hierarchy at any given time. From the point of view of a passenger, it would be interesting to know when some of these programs were implemented.
Relying on wikipedia for the dates, here's a list of Amtrak's presidents/CEO's starting with Mr. Claytor and their circumstances of departure-

1982-1993 W. Graham Claytor, Jr. (Retired)

1993-1998 Thomas Downs (Fired)

1998-2002 George Warrington (Resigned)

2002-11/2005 David Gunn (Fired)

11/2005-9/2006 David Laney (Acting, until a new CEO was hired)

9/2006 Alexander Kummant hired.

Of these individuals, Mr. Claytor brought the most mainline railroading experience (and illustrious background) to Amtrak. He had been president of the Southern Railway from 1967-77, Secretary of the Navy from 77-79, and Deputy Secretary of Defense and then Acting Secretary of Transportation in 1979.

He came out of retirement to head up Amtrak and left it on a pretty sound footing when he retired again.

Second to Mr. Claytor in terms of experience was Mr. Gunn. Alexander Kummant did have a brief period in management with Union Pacific, but most of his experience is in manufacturing management. IMO, Mr. Downs' and Mr. Warrington's tenures were disastrous for Amtrak. They were responsible for the "self-sufficiency" fiction which Amtrak is still trying to recover from. Tho I met Mr. Downs and found him to be accessible and very likable personally, his reliance on outside consulting firms and the poor performance of some of his executives put Amtrak and our passengers thru some trying times.

Any training materials I didn't put in the round file when I retired are packed away somewhere, so unfortunately I can't give you any dates/names of the various customer-service programs. The "Guest Services" training that I went into in some detail was during Warrington's tenure, I'd guess around 1999 or 2000.

The "Guest Services" training that I went into in some detail was during Warrington's tenure, I'd guess around 1999 or 2000.
While it's certainly possible that Amtrak started the "Guest" bit internally in 1999, it really became mainstream during 2000, which was when Amtrak instituted that guaranteed compensation for a bad trip or a late trip, and of course the program that still bears that "Guest" stigma, Amtrak "Guest" Rewards. That program started in November of 2000.

The "Guest Services" training that I went into in some detail was during Warrington's tenure, I'd guess around 1999 or 2000.
While it's certainly possible that Amtrak started the "Guest" bit internally in 1999, it really became mainstream during 2000, which was when Amtrak instituted that guaranteed compensation for a bad trip or a late trip, and of course the program that still bears that "Guest" stigma, Amtrak "Guest" Rewards. That program started in November of 2000.
Thanks for the memory jog, AlanB, it was probably in 2000 that we did the "Guest Services/Service Recovery" training. The "we'll guarantee you have a good trip, or" thing started first only on the Coast Starlight, then after a time went systemwide. And I now recall why the San Antonio-based manager I talked about was so upset when I comp'ed 20 people a breakfast or lunch in the dining car......

As you know, it was standard practice for years that when a train was more than four hours late and going into an unscheduled meal period, a complimentary meal would be served to all passengers. As the new guarantee program went along, more and more passengers were calling or writing about late trains and receiving travel vouchers as compensation for same.

When the compensation figures grew and grew for late trains on the Sunset Limited, Joy Smith, the "Grand Poobah" of that train (apologies to Joy, I can't remember what her title was at the time) decreed that no more complimentary meals would be served on her late trains except to sleeper passengers - if unscheduled meals were served, passengers in coach would have to purchase theirs. Her reasoning being that coach passengers getting free meals AND travel vouchers were "double-dipping" and creating havoc with her budget. So when I did the comp thing for 20 people under the service recovery aspect of "Guest Services", the manager riding with us assumed Ms. Smith would go ballistic when she found out.

Every trip an adventure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back