Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DrewTU

Southbound Eagle arrived at 6:55, almost 2:30 late. 5 total passengers boarded in Little Rock to nearly full train. Conductor placed me in the crew seats in the back row of the 2nd non - LAX coach. I had been up since 3 AM checking train status, and it was running on time as of Poplar Bluff, so I guess it was held up by freight somewhere between Poplar Bluff and LR. Anyway, these are the worst seats on the superliner. Close to the doors, and no footrest. Avoid at all costs.

About 7:30, a family in front of me began to play with their child so loudly it was impossible to sleep. Myself and my significant other snuck back into the LAX coach, where it was nothing but elderly couples and sleeping couples, and found 2-3 hours of sleep to be WONDERFUL! The conductor noticed our move, and informed us that "80 passenders were boarding in FW for service past SAS, and that I would probably need to move." I was like, ok, whatever....and just stayed there.

Uneventful ride, no service interruptions and stops for freight until 20 miles before Austin, where we had a 1 hour wait. :( We would have only been 30 minutes late if it wasn't for that!

On another note...this train was PACKED! Every seat taken from FTW to AUS. I mean, people standing, and forced upgrades of some passengers to sleeper accomodations. I assume most everyone else was going to SAS or on to LAX. In FTW, I approached the conductor and asked him if he needed me to move still. I then volunteered to move back to the same crew seats in the SAS coach, so an elderly couple wouldn't have to wait in the station in SAS for the Eagle coach to be connected to the Sunset Limited. No big deal...the surrounding people from FTW to AUS were far more bearable :)

Lunch served in the dining car around Marshall / Longview. Bacon Cheese burger was good by Amtrak standards. Significant Other had the salad with chicken and vinagrette dressing...no complaints either. Lounge car overflowing the entire trip due to the packed train. One engine only, a breakdown would have been a disaster.

Other than that, it took 14 hours :( , but I am not disappointed at all. The Texas Eagle is one popular line this time of year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back