Got my Amfleet IIs and Viewliner all Decaled

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P40Power

OBS Chief
This past weekend (Rainy, as the norm is lately up here in the Northeast!) I put the decals on my new Amfleet phase III coach and lounge and on my Viewliner sleeping car to get them ready for use on the new layout which is comming along great. Ive noticed that the Walthers decals held up great compared to some of the microscale decals Ive had in the past which were very prone to developing rips in them. The decals slid into place like a charm and there was only one instance where a number broke in half. One thing I did notice was a bit odd with the decals was with the coach they only supply enough of the same number (2) to do one side of the coach. I had to cut the two more of that number out of the decal set that came with the Lounge car! Intrestingly enough, each set of decals came with four of each number for the lounge car which was enough to do a complete car without requiring another decal set. :blink: These cars look great, especially with the new numbers! The coach is numbered 25012, the lounge 28014, and the Viewliner is 62016 Lake View. I named the car after the car I had a picture of when it was on the LSL back on a trip in 98. I also thought this car was appropriate because the train I run the most is the Lake Shore! (Shore View would have worked just as good! Maybe a combo would have been neat - Lake Shore View). Now my next project, updating some older paint schemed cars into phase III - stay tuned!

It certainly rained like cats and dogs this weekened on the coast. I worked over 16 hours! Sounds like your really getting into your modeling! Keep it up! B)

P.S. Walthers short handed me on the decals too.

I dont understand the walther decal situation with the Am II coaches, I mean they have alot of different numbers on the decal sheet I dont see why they could just limited them down a bit and offer fewer number choices but offer 4 of each number for the coaches, just like they do with the 28000 series lounge numbers?! Its an odd set up, If I didnt have a lounge to go along with my coach I would have only had enough decals to do half the coach! But anyways, nothin better then a rainy weekend to get workin on the layout. Mine is in the nice and cool basement so I also do alot of work on it on those very hot summer days!

I spent quite a bit of time on my layout this weekend as well. I am trying to put in a moutain, where in the middle the tracks come out onto a bridge. I already have the bridge in place. Its going alright.

Keep up the good work! :)

Viewliner said:
Anybody know of any good custom car builders, or someone who could convert a car (professionally)?
Yes, Imperial Hobby Productions focuses on custom built passenger equipment in the Northeast. I looked into them to repaint and decal some of my Amfleets into the Acela scheme, but it was just to pricey ($40 a car, but for some that may not be to shabby). Worth given them a shot.

Holy crap! 40 bucks a car, your not kidding thats expensive. Im sure its quality though, but do they make Acela decals for Amfleets . . .Im sure someone does out there for cheaper then that! But I guess if these guys are painting those Amfleets, well I can see that running expensive with those goofy Regional colors and patterns and whatnot. I was thinkin of putting some of my older Amfleet I cars into the Acela scheme (mostly the cafe, the cafe car's colors are the only ones I really like in the Acela paint!) but Ive decided that most of my equipment is my favorite Phase III, and Ive got many older conrail locomotives that I will just set the layout in the later 90s.

SeanFL1965 said:
Besides Walthers, does any one know of other manufacturers of Amfleet II coaches and food service cars?
No, Walthers is the only manufacturer of Amfleet IIs. IHP used to make an expensive version of them but that is discontinued. Both Walthers and Bachmann make Amfleet I's.

If you can stand the wait, Bachmann will be coming out with their Amfleet I's in the Acela "Lava Lamp" scheme later this fall.

I'm not sure if the cars will also be better detailed, trucks, etc.

Back