Glenwood Springs hotels near Amtrak station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
I may be spending one night in either Denver or Glenwood Springs this May and was wondering if anyone had stayed at any of the hotels walking distance from the train station (and restaurants). If so, I would appreciate any feedback.

I may be spending one night in either Denver or Glenwood Springs this May and was wondering if anyone had stayed at any of the hotels walking distance from the train station (and restaurants). If so, I would appreciate any feedback.
Definitely stay in Glenwood Springs Penny!Its a Beautiful Small Mountain town that's best visited during the week, if gets very Crowded on weekends and in the Summer.

Either the Denver Hotel by the Train Station, the Colorado Hotel or the Resort @ the Hot Springs( cant think of the name) if it's not too pricey.

Your best info source would be Seattle Charlie,I believe he's been there several times, I've only visited once.I know other AUers have visited also.

Theres lots of really neat Coffee Shops,Cafes, Bars( Craft Beer!!!:p)a Good B-B-Q Joint and everything is within walking distance downtown.

And up @ the Cemetary ( it's a steep Hill but wakkable) is the Burial Site of Doc Holiday but no-one is sure just which grave!

Last edited:
I like Bob's advice. Glenwood Springs is a great place to visit. I think the Hotel Denver would be great and is close to the station. About four years ago we stayed at the Glenwood Springs Inn, a family owned motel across the river which was nice and reasonably priced. We visited the Hotel Colorado when we were there and wouldn't mind staying there either.

We ate at an Italian restaurant near the end of the bridge as I recall and it was just wonderful! I have no recollection of what we did for breakfast and lunch the next day but we did laze around the Hot Springs which was fun.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim. There are 2 hotels close to the train station. Hotel Colorado is less expensive than the Glenwood Hot Springs Resort. However, neither are outrageously expensive. Hotel Colorado got a 4 out of 5 rating on trip advisor and the Resort got 4.5 out of 5. I have already checked out craft beer offerings. :)

I like Bob's advice. Glenwood Springs is a great place to visit. I think the Hotel Denver would be great and is close to the station. About four years ago we stayed at the Glenwood Springs Inn, a family owned motel across the river which was nice and reasonably priced. We visited the Hotel Colorado when we were there and wouldn't mind staying there either.

We ate at an Italian restaurant near the end of the bridge as I recall and it was just wonderful! I have no recollection of what we did for breakfast and lunch the next day but we did laze around the Hot Springs which was fun.
Thanks. It looks like Hotel Denver is virtually across the street from the train station and there is a brewpub at the hotel. The rates appear to be more than Hotel Colorado and less than Glenwood Hot Springs Resort. I am pretty sure a night in Glenwood Springs would be nicer than a night in Denver. Thanks again.

Correct about the Hotel Denver, climb the stairs in the station and it's right there. Glenwood is fairly pedestrian friendly with a nice downtown with decent dining options. Used to be a great bookstore downtown, The Book Train, that had a nice selection including some railroad titles. The hot springs are a definite draw, now there is a second spring complex in addition to the large downtown pool. Have a great trip and enjoy!

We stayed at the Hotel Colorado a few years ago. It's probably changed since, but we were surprised that it was not air-conditioned at the time, relying on mountain breezes through open windows for cooling. The Hot Springs resort (more like a motel with a big steaming pool at the time) is very close as well. Both are a couple of blocks walk from the station - on the north side as noted above.

We stayed at Hotel Colorado and liked it for its old school charm. High ceilings, radiators, creaky wood floors but not nicely furnished. The courtyard was delightful (be sure to get a room that faces that, not the street). That type of hotel with lots of history is our preference as opposed to one that’s been updated and looks like all others. Also, a very short walk to the hot springs.

My favorite is the Hotel Denver also. Walk right across the street from station to hotel entrance. Try to get one of the “Colorado Rooms” facing the station, Colorado River, hot spring spa across the way. Hotel is historic and renovated very well with an attached restaurant which is handy. Spend a couple days as the town has a great bus system to get you all around town including a bus up to Aspen. I spent Christmas 2014 there just after a fresh snow had fallen. Absolutely gorgeous area.

And say hello to Amtrak ticket agent Sandy while at the Glenwood Springs station, who is interviewed in Henry Kisor's book about traveling on the CZ.

I also back the Hotel Denver. I have stayed there a number of times and enjoyed every time and is literally across the street (it’s been a while due to the two Marriott properties that were built just to the west of town and I’m big on Marriott Rewards). I also second the “Colorado Rooms” some of the other rooms can be very small and a pain to get to. We never did stay at the Colorado Hotel due to the lack of air conditioning, it can get quite warm in the summer. The Italian restaurant mentioned above is the Italian Underground and yes it’s very good. The Pullman (good name but really nothing to do with railroading) has very good and well inspired food for a higher but decent price for the quality of food. Juicy Lucy’s has very good fare but has gotten to be quite expensive. Slope and Hatch is a great lunch spot. The Daily Grind is great for breakfast and not to be confused with Grind which is a hamburger joint and also quite good.

Feel free to PM me if you want/need any other information. I stay there 5 to 6 weekends in an average year.

Last edited:
I also back the Hotel Denver. I have stayed there a number of times and enjoyed every time and is literally across the street (it’s been a while due to the two Marriott properties that were built just to the west of town and I’m big on Marriott Rewards) I also second the “Colorado Rooms” some of the other rooms can be very small and a pain to get to. We never did say at the Colorado Hotel due to the lack of air conditioning, it can get quite warm in the summer. The Italian restaurant mentioned above is the Italian Underground and yes it’s very good. The Pullman (good name but really nothing to do with railroading) has very good and well inspired food for a higher but decent price for the quality of food. Juicy Lucy’s has very good fare but has gotten to be quite expensive. Slope and Hatch is a great lunch spot. The Daily Grind is great for breakfast and not to be confused with Grind which is a hamburger joint and also quite good.

Feel free to PM me if you want/need any other information. I stay there 5 to 6 weekends in an average year.
Thanks for your detailed response. I have pretty much decided that I will make a reservation for a Colorado Room. Since I am allergic to garlic, I do not go to Italian restaurants very often. But I am a craft beer drinker and having a brewpub at the hotel is a great advantage. I will be there on a Monday night, so the rates are reasonable and I guess it will not be crowded.

Thanks for your detailed response. I have pretty much decided that I will make a reservation for a Colorado Room. Since I am allergic to garlic, I do not go to Italian restaurants very often. But I am a craft beer drinker and having a brewpub at the hotel is a great advantage. I will be there on a Monday night, so the rates are reasonable and I guess it will not be crowded.
No problem. You should be happy with the beer downstairs, I’ve sampled quite a few there and haven’t been let down yet.

The Italian restaurant mentioned above is the Italian Underground and yes it’s very good.

Thanks for that information. Although it doesn't sound like Penny will be going there I thought for the benefit of others that I should clarify that this restaurant is on the same side of the river as the Hotel Denver and the Amtrak station. I realized my prior post was not clear about that.

When we were in Glenwood Springs we were advised that the good restaurants tend to book up for dinner and that walk-in customers may have difficulty getting a table. It seems to me that we went to the Italian Underground at dinnertime, were given a later reservation and then went back at that time. I don't know if the situation has changed or not.

Found these pics from my stay.
D13F480C-BCC9-4F88-A94A-8C4DC556765D.jpeg
View showing proximity of station to Hotel Denver from pedestrian bridge across river.
Good train watching spot.
The block just to right of hotel had a couple restaurants also.
82BA517A-E5FA-44B9-B87E-266182CB6F06.jpeg
View from window of Amtrak Station, U.P. daily freight train, Colorado River.
The spa and resort is across the river to the left.
15130A34-A6FF-469C-AEAE-BD55175DDFE7.jpeg
My Colorado room was nicely furnished. All modern upgrades in a 100 yr old bldg.

This a photo of the hot springs next door to the Hotel Colorado. I'm on the approach to the bridge to downtown and the station just to the right in the photo. One section of the pool is about 90 degrees. You feel like a wet dish rag when you get out. It was all we could do to drag ourselves back to the hotel for drinks on the hotel terrace. I would think spring and fall are the best times to be there.

upload_2020-1-22_15-56-28.png

Actually, winter is great pool season. It's freezing outside, but the pool is nice and toasty. Something special about floating around in a pool in a snow storm that's is pretty neat.

One other thought to consider... depending how you are with physical exercise, there is a great bike path / walking trail through Glenwood Canyon. From the city, you walk on the same side as the pool past a gate up what looks like a frontage road, and follow the trail. There are several access points along the way that you can also get to from the interstate. Bike rentals are available. Nice way to see the canyon from outside the train. Also, the old Rio Grande branch to Aspen has been converted to a trail, that could worth a bike / walk also. It's a great place to visit, we're long overdue in my book for a return, and winter is the best time in my opinion. But I'm biased...

Actually, winter is great pool season. It's freezing outside, but the pool is nice and toasty. Something special about floating around in a pool in a snow storm that's is pretty neat.

One other thought to consider... depending how you are with physical exercise, there is a great bike path / walking trail through Glenwood Canyon. From the city, you walk on the same side as the pool past a gate up what looks like a frontage road, and follow the trail. There are several access points along the way that you can also get to from the interstate. Bike rentals are available. Nice way to see the canyon from outside the train. Also, the old Rio Grande branch to Aspen has been converted to a trail, that could worth a bike / walk also. It's a great place to visit, we're long overdue in my book for a return, and winter is the best time in my opinion. But I'm biased...
Thanks. I love to walk, but my ability to do so may depend on the weather. I am a Floridian.

I also back the Hotel Denver. I have stayed there a number of times and enjoyed every time and is literally across the street (it’s been a while due to the two Marriott properties that were built just to the west of town and I’m big on Marriott Rewards). I also second the “Colorado Rooms” some of the other rooms can be very small and a pain to get to. We never did stay at the Colorado Hotel due to the lack of air conditioning, it can get quite warm in the summer. The Italian restaurant mentioned above is the Italian Underground and yes it’s very good. The Pullman (good name but really nothing to do with railroading) has very good and well inspired food for a higher but decent price for the quality of food. Juicy Lucy’s has very good fare but has gotten to be quite expensive. Slope and Hatch is a great lunch spot. The Daily Grind is great for breakfast and not to be confused with Grind which is a hamburger joint and also quite good.

Thanks again. I just booked a Colorado room at The Hotel Denver. I likely will PM you with restaurant questions.

Back