Crescent Disruption

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRR

OBS Chief
On checking the status of 20 in Greenville tonight, I saw that it was noted that service between Atlanta and New Orleans on 19 and 20 will be by bus.

Does anyone know the cause and how long this disruption will remain in effect?

On checking the status of 20 in Greenville tonight, I saw that it was noted that service between Atlanta and New Orleans on 19 and 20 will be by bus.

Does anyone know the cause and how long this disruption will remain in effect?
Most likely the host RR's annual track work. As I recall, it's not 7 days a week, but I don't remember which days it happens.

So why does NS shut down the line between Atlanta and New Orleans 4 days a week in the winter for track work, but they don't seem to do that anywhere else that Amtrak runs?

jb
Rare mileage is a treat, and beats the heck out of bustitutions!

Actually there is ongoing track work most of the year all over the country on the Routes that the Class Is own.

UP usually closes the Longview- Dallas Route each Spring for Track work and the Texas Eagles are re-routed on the old MoPac route LGV- Taylor by-passing DFW.

And there have been frequent re-routes for trackwork between STL and CHI resulting in Bustitutions for the Missouri Trains and re-routing for the Texas Eagle through Amish Country in Illinois.

The Zephyr is also re-routed via the UP Transcon through Wyoming occasionally, and the Starlight sometimes uses the Tehachapi Loop route between LAX and the Bay Area during trackwork.( a real treat)

My favorite re-route has been the Zephyr through the Feather River Canyon in California, but this is very rare.

This is the NS trackwork that is done annually south of Atlanta. It is for 4 to 6 weeks each year. Actually, the trackwork has already started but is not yet at the point where it will cause a shut down of the railroad. The NS each year replaces several miles of welded rail. The NS brings the track gangs south this time of year to get out of the winter weather in the north.
The NS does trackwork on the Crescent route at other times of the year, but a lot of it does not affect the Crescent since it travels through these areas during the night and trackwork is done during the daytime. However, the Carolinian/Piedmont portion of the route does have daytime trains and has affected their ability to run, so some of those trains are cancelled.

Back