Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was in high school, I'd occasionally get off the 49 bus and stop by Fat Johnnies at 73rd and Western. Chili dogs were a specialty there. As a matter of fact, they had a dish called "the mother-in-law" a tamale in a hot dog bun topped with chili and onions.

Q South, per chance? Ritas?

Now I've got a taste for Lindy's.

Strange. Never had a real hard time finding a chili dog in Chicago, not that I get them very often. Hell, Portillo's sells chili dogs, and they're everywhere.

When I was in high school, I'd occasionally get off the 49 bus and stop by Fat Johnnies at 73rd and Western. Chili dogs were a specialty there. As a matter of fact, they had a dish called "the mother-in-law" a tamale in a hot dog bun topped with chili and onions.

When I worked in Glenview, I'd pass (and occasionally stopped at) a joint called Mallo's Hot Dogs in Morton Grove. Chili dogs and incredible char dogs.

And I know you can get chili dogs at the Vienna factory store at Damen and Elston.

I guess you are right, that chili dogs are more common in hot dog stands here than I think? That said, I've ran into some local hot dog stands where sadly you can't order chili dogs. I.e. Gene and Jude's, Jimmy's, and there are a few others out there I'm forgetting.

Hadn't been to Portillo's in a while, but the fact they have a wide and big menu makes sense they'd serve chili dogs.

Chili dogs are readily available at just about every Chicago hot dog stand. Just don't ask for a coney, you'll probably get a blank stare.

I agree with you, at least on the part about not trying to order one as a 'coney dog' at a Chicago area fast food stand! Unfortunately as about how often chili dogs are available, I sometimes for sure run into hot dog stands where you sadly can't order such a dog(i.e. Gene and Jude's). Granted I know NOT all hot dog stands are that very limited in their menu, and that thankfully some do offer chili dogs.

Now, if you throw a little (or a lot) of cold slaw on that baby, you'd have a "Chili Slaw Dog"!!! My Grand Father (Rome, Ga.), use to take me to a drive in diner that got me hooked for the rest of my life!!!! LOL

Sadly, I can't think of many local places that offer slaw dogs. Other than America's Dog and Burger(which sadly not long ago closed their last 2 Loop locations, though they still hang on at O'Hare Airport and Navy Pier), I can't think of anywhere else locally where you could order a slaw dog. :( And as for a chili slaw dog, I may have to try that idea one of these days!

BTW though this note isn't about Chicago, I've always LOVED the slaw dogs at The Varsity in Atlanta, Athens, and in a few other Atlanta suburbs!

Just like the debate over Chicago style Pizza vs New York Pizza, lots of Detroiters, New Yorkers etc. will tell you that a proper Hot Dog Bun is a Pretzel Bun, a Standard White Flour Bun.,a Whole Wheat Bun or now days, a Glutten Free Bun!

I Love Chicago style Dogs, but the Detroit Dogs, Coneys in New York, and the Texas Chili Dogs are also Fast Food Nirvana!;)

Just like the debate over Chicago style Pizza vs New York Pizza, lots of Detroiters, New Yorkers etc. will tell you that a proper Hot Dog Bun is a Pretzel Bun, a Standard White Flour Bun.,a Whole Wheat Bun or now days, a Glutten Free Bun!

I Love Chicago style Dogs, but the Detroit Dogs, Coneys in New York, and the Texas Chili Dogs are also Fast Food Nirvana!;)

Unabashed commercial plug for the Houston version of an American institution. (James Coney Island...direct link).

Will be trying this on upcoming trip to Chicago!
The version offered by Shake Shack, the Chicadawg, is great.

It all works together even though I'm not wild about some of the fixings normally.

Where's the beef.
Unfortunately the "Al's Roast Beef" location close to Union Station closed, but there are plenty of joints you can get Roast Beef Sandwiches ( with Grilled Italian Peppers and Onions!;))and Chicago Dogs( Brats @ Gold Coast Dogs are especially Good!) in the Windy City!

Plenty of Pizza Joints too if that's your Muse!

Last edited:
I'll be in Chicago Friday morning June 4th coming in on the LSL until I head back on the LSL Sunday night the 6th. I have most the day Friday and most the day Sunday to explore. Will leave luggage in the lounge. I want to rail/transit joyride a bit and hit a couple of key places in my short time there. Tried to figure out getting off early in Toledo, catching a Thruway bus to Detroit and taking the Wolverine to Chicago, but the Wolverine is only running a single round trip these days. It's very annoying trying to find connecting trains without updated timetables. Looks like my best option would be taking Hiawatha #333 to Milwaukee and #388 back for about 2.5 hours there, but $25 is kinda steep for 89 miles. Props to Wisconsin for running a full schedule though! I can't find another Amtrak train I could take round trip from Chicago in a reasonable amount of time with current schedules.

Metra extended the $10 unlimited pass until June 30th so I'll definitely take advantage of that as I've only used it a few times. Looking for recommendations on places to ride to not in the middle of nowhere or in a non-walkable/endless suburbia area. CTA too, I haven't ridden much of that.

I'll be back in Chicago for two full days/one night in September on my way back from a trip, so I can save some things & train joyriding for then too. This will be my third time in Chicago, but all have been short trips usually taken up by family events so I hope to get in more exploring this trip and in September. Might save the South Shore Line til then based on the scheduling, but are there interesting places to easily walk to at some of those stations? Not all the trains run to South Bend and that takes a while anyway.

Last edited:
Nice trip!

You didnt indicate where you were spending the night, but you wont be able to leave your luggage in the Lounge overnight, only during the hours the Lounge is Open.

Your Metra Pass will get you some good rides and Scenery, but you might want to look into riding the L around Chicago also.

Saving the South Shore Line for your next visit is a good idea as things are changing rapidly as COVID Guidelines are updated and Budinesses and other places to visit reopen.

You didnt indicate where you were spending the night, but you wont be able to leave your luggage in the Lounge overnight, only during the hours the Lounge is Open.

If your luggage is still in the lounge when they close for the evening, they will move it to a secure place, and it can be picked up the next day.

At least that's what the lounge attendant told me when I called from the emergency room at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and asked them what would happen if they didn't release me in time for me to get back to the station before the lounge closed.

As it turns out, I was released some time around 3 PM, so I had no problem going back to the station, getting my bag, and heading out to my hotel for the evening.

It is also possible to go to the baggage check desk and pay for baggage storage, which I believe can be done for overnight for $10 per item with a ticket. (24 hours)

If your luggage is still in the lounge when they close for the evening, they will move it to a secure place, and it can be picked up the next day.

At least that's what the lounge attendant told me when I called from the emergency room at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and asked them what would happen if they didn't release me in time for me to get back to the station before the lounge closed.

I don't question that you were told that but I wonder if it is really true. At least twice, my wife and I have been just about the last people leaving the lounge to board 48 just as the lounge was closing. Both times when we retrieved our luggage from the storage room, I noticed that there were several other bags left in the room. Possibly someone retrieved these bags just after we left but I kind of doubt that.

The lounge staff, in their haste to vacate and close the lounge, did not impress me as being very concerned with any unclaimed bags left in the storage room.

Brown Line to Kimball and back is always a good ride for anyone looking for some interesting CTA sightseeing (elevated from downtown to Western, then basically running down the middle of an alley the rest of the way, grade crossings and all).
Oo I'll add that to the list, thanks!

Luggage-wise, I'll retrieve my suitcase from the lounge at CUS around dinnertime most likely.

Any Metra rides to add? Is it worth it to take the Hiawatha up to MKE and back for $50?

Oo I'll add that to the list, thanks!

Luggage-wise, I'll retrieve my suitcase from the lounge at CUS around dinnertime most likely.

Any Metra rides to add? Is it worth it to take the Hiawatha up to MKE and back for $50?

I ride Metra so little and it’s been a long time since I’ve done a “joyride” that I really can’t remember what’s at the terminals. It might be interesting to take the Heritage Corridor out to Joliet and then return on the Rock Island. Heritage Corridor is weekdays only, and with the limited COVID schedule, there’s only one outbound that would offer a decent (20-minute) connection to the return RI train. I was going to suggest Heritage to Joliet, RI to Blue Island, then Metra Electric back downtown, but it looks like there are no Electric District trains that return from Blue Island late enough for such a loop trip to work.

As for the Hiawatha, there’s nothing particularly special or scenic about it. Just a bunch of Horizon cars, and occasionally an out-of-service cafe car that is closed off to passengers (it’s the WiFi “brain car” for when the consist doesn’t have a cabbage car). If the weather is decent, you might want to walk over to the Milwaukee Public Market, walk along the river, or ride the Milwaukee streetcar. I’ll let you decide if that’s worth $50 and most of a day.

Back