Line Numbers/Consist Listings

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many consist sets does the Capital Limited currently have? A few months ago I saw what appears to be a complete Superliner train at Washington DC around 6:30 PM in the Ivy City yard. I thought there was a service disruption then but I checked and the Capital Limited already departed that day. I've been through DC before and since but that one time was the only time I saw that extra Superliner set- that could indeed be a fourth set to the Capital Limited, even though the listing earlier in this topic says there are only 3 sets.

Three, the DC turnaround is not long enough for a same day turn.

How many consist sets does the Capital Limited currently have? A few months ago I saw what appears to be a complete Superliner train at Washington DC around 6:30 PM in the Ivy City yard. I thought there was a service disruption then but I checked and the Capital Limited already departed that day. I've been through DC before and since but that one time was the only time I saw that extra Superliner set- that could indeed be a fourth set to the Capital Limited, even though the listing earlier in this topic says there are only 3 sets.

That may have been the time the Cardinal ran with a Superliner set and terminated/turned in WAS.

I will no longer be maintaing this page (6/13/2014).

As far as I am aware, these are the current line numbers/equipment requirements. Use the information however you like, but please keep in mind that train consists change, and there is no guarantee that any individual train will match what is listed below.

Subject to change over the next few hours/days/weeks/months/years. All contributions and corrections welcome.

19/20

Crescent

4 sets

HIA pool

1943|2043 —— Amfleet II Coach

1942|2042 —— Amfleet II Coach

1941|2041 —— Amfleet II Coach

1940|2040 —— Amfleet II Coach

----|---- —— Amfleet II Lounge

----|---- —— Heritage Diner

1910|2010 —— Viewliner Sleeper

1911|2011 —— Viewliner Sleeper

----|---- —— Heritage Baggage

Revised to read:

19/20 Crescent

Electric Locomotive NYP-WAS

Diesel Locomotive WAS-NOL

-----I------ -------LDSL Baggage Car

1911/2011----- Viewliner Sleeper

1910/2010---- Viewliner Sleeper

------l------ ------Heritage Diner

1978/2078------Business Class

------I------ ------Lounge

1940/2040------Amfleet II Coach

1941/2041------Amfleet II Coach

1942/2042------Amfleet II Coach

Regional trains that service the NECorridor are likely to see the business class and quiet cars move to the rear of the train soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are they moving business class/quiet cars to the back?

Also, do they have enough business class cars to use on the long-distance trains?

I will no longer be maintaing this page (6/13/2014).

As far as I am aware, these are the current line numbers/equipment requirements. Use the information however you like, but please keep in mind that train consists change, and there is no guarantee that any individual train will match what is listed below.

Subject to change over the next few hours/days/weeks/months/years. All contributions and corrections welcome.

19/20

Crescent

4 sets

HIA pool

1943|2043 —— Amfleet II Coach

1942|2042 —— Amfleet II Coach

1941|2041 —— Amfleet II Coach

1940|2040 —— Amfleet II Coach

----|---- —— Amfleet II Lounge

----|---- —— Heritage Diner

1910|2010 —— Viewliner Sleeper

1911|2011 —— Viewliner Sleeper

----|---- —— Heritage Baggage

Revised to read:

19/20 Crescent

There is another amendment to the consist. Effective 5/15, the consist for the Crescent will be as follows until further notice:

19/20 Crescent

Thirrail7 (I can't quote stuff):

That was a few months ago. If the Cardinal was operating with Superliners a few months ago, then I would be thrilled.

It did for a run or two. I think it was when a bridge was out, and when they resumed service there wasn't a Cardinal equipment set in CHI to resume service, so they used Superliners to WAS until the equipment situation sorted itself out. Maybe a year or so ago at this point.

5/6

California Zephyr

6 sets

CHI pool

Mid-Spring, Summer, Fall

----|---- ——

Baggage

0540|0640 —— Superliner Dorm/Sleeper

0510|0610 —— Superliner Coach *

0511|0611 —— Superliner Coach

0512|0612 —— Superliner Coach (seasonal)

----|---- —— Superliner Lounge

----|---- —— Superliner Diner

0531|0631 —— Superliner Sleeper

0532|0632 —— Superliner Sleeper

0530|0630 —— Superliner Sleeper (seasonal)

* One of the coaches is often a baggage coach.

5/6

California Zephyr

6 sets

CHI pool

Mid-January to early-spring (exact start/end dates vary)

----|---- —— Baggage

KmH, on 11 January 2017 - 04:01 PM said-

5/6

California Zephyr

6 sets

CHI pool

Mid-January to early-spring (exact start/end dates vary)

----|---- —— Baggage

Spot-on. Looks like CZ winter change began last week 10-11 Jan 2017, per Galesburg & Truckee Railcams. Seven-car consist now,

Sleepers on head end.

At some point since my last trip, the Empire Builder has changed the numbering of the sleeper lines. The 0730 car has "always" been the sleeper closest to the diner, the 0731 has been the second sleeper in summer / transdorm in winter, 0732 the transdorm when two sleepers are running.

Yesterday the 0731 car was the only sleeper, and the transdorm was 0732. Will have to wait and see if that means they will be 0731/32/33 when the second sleeper comes back or not.

That may have been the time the Cardinal ran with a Superliner set and terminated/turned in WAS.

Speaking of this, how often has the Cardinal ever ran with Superliner cars? I sure have a feeling it's probably been rare when that has occurred, and only when the train is started/ended in Washington, DC, due to NEC track construction work that'd prevent it from being run all the way into NYC.

Speaking of this, how often has the Cardinal ever ran with Superliner cars? I sure have a feeling it's probably been rare when that has occurred, and only when the train is started/ended in Washington, DC, due to NEC track construction work that'd prevent it from being run all the way into NYC.

It actually happens a few times a year, under extreme circumstances. 51(pd) turns for 50(sd) in Chicago. If something major happens to inbound 51 and if they have the equipment, they will operate 50 with Superliners. It will terminate in WAS and passengers for north of DC will transfer to another train. The next time 51 operates, it will originate in WAS, with passengers from NYP-WAS placed on another train.

If only the Superliners could fit north of Baltimore and travel th.e NEC to New York.

Even if they fit, you'd need to modify the platforms in multiple stations to support their low-level operation.

There have been two extended periods that I'm aware of and, as Thirdrail pointed out, a few ad hoc occasions. I was fortunate to ride during one of the longer assignments in early 2000's. Sightseer lounge on that route would be a great bonus if it ever became permanent. Having Superliners would also fix the continual sleeper capacity issue.

Back