What are the realities of the Conductor trainee job?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there any instances when a person can be eligible for SS and Railroad Retirement. For example if a person were to spend twenty years in a non-railroad job paying into SS and then spend another twenty years working for the railroad paying into Railroad Retirement would they be eligible for both? I’m specifically thinking about veterans here.
I fit that description...I worked about 15 years for railroads, paying into RRB, and the rest of my career paying into social security, a small part was the military, the rest civilian. Once I had ten years on the railroads, my RRB pension was 'vested'. When I retired, I chose to let the Railroad Retirement pay me for the combined amount, as it worked out better for me, than collecting separately from each...(part of the RRB is 'social security', the other tier is a pension). Also, it is MUCH easier to reach someone at RRB with any issues than it is Social Security.

I fit that description...I worked about 15 years for railroads, paying into RRB, and the rest of my career paying into social security, a small part was the military, the rest civilian. Once I had ten years on the railroads, my RRB pension was 'vested'. When I retired, I chose to let the Railroad Retirement pay me for the combined amount, as it worked out better for me, than collecting separately from each...(part of the RRB is 'social security', the other tier is a pension). Also, it is MUCH easier to reach someone at RRB with any issues than it is Social Security.
My Grandfather was a 30 year SP Hand,and when he retired he worked @ a Social Security Job until he qualified, then did the same as you!

Back