Missed connection from 22/422 to 30 (positive experience)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
Due to a variety of reasons (late departure of 2 from LAX, police activity in Tucson, disabled freight), the Texas Eagle arrived over 7 hours late in Chicago on 11/4. Apparently quite a few passengers missed their connections.

In my opinion, Amtrak handled the situation in a professional and efficient manner. After the new crew boarded in STL, the conductor announced that he would be meeting passengers in the dining car to discuss their missed connections. He stated that he would call each group of passengers by their connecting train numbers, calling the earliest first.

After the Hiawatha trains were called and the Michigan trains were called, train 30 was called. I was with 2 others who were also connecting to the Capitol Limited. The conductor checked our names off. Those passengers who were able to get to their destination by taking the Lakeshore Limited (48) were moved to that train.

The 2 of us that were going all the way to Florida were told that we would be put up overnight in Chicago and would be on the next day's 30 with the same accommodations. I was able to get the same accommodation on 97. However, the accommodation was not available on 97 for the other individual and he was placed on 91. We were told to go to Passenger Services in Chicago to receive our hotel, taxi and food vouchers after we arrive.

Shortly thereafter, we received an email from Amtrak with our new e-tickets.

The group of us were sitting in the lounge for a while after that meeting and the conductor came by and told us that we would pick up our tickets at the next station, which he did. We had new printed tickets in hand before our arrival in Chicago.

Because I had heard "horror" stories about passenger services in Chicago (long lines, inefficient and clueless agents), I wanted to be among the first in line. Because our sleeper car was on the rear of the train, it would be a long walk. Somehow, I managed to be first off my car and was able to "run" to passenger services. It helped that I knew where I was going and I travel fairly light. I was amazed when I arrived at passenger services. I was the first one there and there were about 4 agents waiting for us. The paperwork had already been prepared and after providing my name and showing my ticket, I was given a packet of papers (hotel voucher, cab vouchers to and from station, food voucher for station food). The agent informed me of the color of the cab I was to take and where to find the cabs.

I was finished before my friend (who was being transported by a red cap) arrived. I asked the agent if I could get his paperwork (since he suffers from a disability and was delayed by waiting for a red cap). The agent asked his name and train numbers and was able to provide me with his paperwork also. After a few minutes, my friend arrived via red cap cart and we were off to find our cab to the Swissotel Hotel. We were the first of at least 5 arriving at the hotel. It is a lovely hotel and I have a great view outside my window.

We arrived in Chicago so late that the Lake Shore Limited was already boarding (a few tracks away). The conductor announced which track and there was a sign in the station with a large "48" indicating which direction those connecting passengers should proceed.

I am not sure what Amtrak could have done better in my situation (except possibly providing dinner in the diner on the second day since we boarded so late in Dallas that we missed dinner). Sleeper passengers were provided sandwiches from the cafe car around 4pm for "dinner." I was not happy about the missed connection, but I think they did all they could.

I was on no. 2 out of LA on the 2nd that connected to 422 discussed here. Had an excellent trip as far as El Paso- maybe 45 min late as were held behind a freight on the approach into there. Went to sleep about Alpine (missing UP’s Big Boy parked for the night in Sanderson on its western tour). My wife and I enjoyed the Southwest through AZ, NM, and western TX. Great crew in the sleeper and diner.

But, day 2 never ended and arrived San Antonio very late, as Penny notes. Late trains get later. Arrived New Orleans at 3:14am, even with the DST change helping us one hour. We were due in at 9:40pm. Amtrak did give us a partial voucher to ease the pain and I did compliment the crew with Customer Relations. Had non stop freights on the UP and most were waiting patiently for us to pass. Glad to see good business on the railroads but the UP needs to invest in more double track like they have west of El Paso.

In sharp contrast, our short rides a week earlier on the SWC ABQ-Las Vegas, NM and then from there back to Flagstaff were both on time at all stations. Non stop freights there too, but the fast intermodal trains on the double track west of ABQ kept moving with us just slotted in their racetrack with 90mph running at times.

Last edited:
Good stuff Penny! This was the way Amtrak used to handle these problems into/out of Chicago!

Did Bill get to stay on #30( or any other AUers?)or have to switch to #48 since he was going to Cleveland?(and if so, did he get the same deal yall got?)

Also, is Dick the one on #91???

Have a good trip home to the Sunshine State! Jim

Last edited:
Good stuff Penny! This was the way Amtrak used to handle these problems into/out of Chicago!

Did Bill get to stay on #30( or any other AUers?)or have to switch to #48 since he was going to Cleveland?(and if so, did he get the same deal yall got?)

Also, is Dick the one on #91???

Have a good trip home to the Sunshine State! Jim
They put Bill on 48 in a roomette. Dick will be on 91.

Penny, I was on 50 when it rolled off the Long Bridge at about 7:30 going northbound and we passed a train with Viewliners going south. I presuume that was 97 with you on board. Safe journeys south!

We're in DC getting engines swapped, should be leaving soon. About an hour and a half late.

Bill made it home safe and sound. The Capitol Limited (30) on which we were traveling suffered delays (mainly due to freight traffic, I think) and we were 2 hours 6 minutes late. 91 departs 2 hours after the scheduled arrival of 30. 91 was not held for the connecting passengers, although there were about a dozen (according to one passenger) passengers connecting to 91. The passengers connecting to 91 were put on 97. Amtrak is paying for a cab for one passenger whose destination is Columbia SC and will be detraining in Florence. Another passenger, whose destination is Raleigh will be detraining in Rocky Mount. I do not know how that passenger will travel from Rocky Mount to Raleigh. I did not speak to every passenger, most of whom were is coach. The guy traveling to Raleigh was on the same train 22 on which we were traveling. He and Dick both had 2 misconnects on this trip. :( Dick is on 97 in a roomette, although his original accommodation was an H room. On the positive side, both Dick and I have probably the best SCA out of the Miami crew base.

Bill made it home safe and sound. The Capitol Limited (30) on which we were traveling suffered delays (mainly due to freight traffic, I think) and we were 2 hours 6 minutes late. 91 departs 2 hours after the scheduled arrival of 30. 91 was not held for the connecting passengers, although there were about a dozen (according to one passenger) passengers connecting to 91. The passengers connecting to 91 were put on 97. Amtrak is paying for a cab for one passenger whose destination is Columbia SC and will be detraining in Florence. Another passenger, whose destination is Raleigh will be detraining in Rocky Mount. I do not know how that passenger will travel from Rocky Mount to Raleigh. I did not speak to every passenger, most of whom were is coach. The guy traveling to Raleigh was on the same train 22 on which we were traveling. He and Dick both had 2 misconnects on this trip. :( Dick is on 97 in a roomette, although his original accommodation was an H room. On the positive side, both Dick and I have probably the best SCA out of the Miami crew base.
Lucky to have Leo, my All-Time Favorite!:)

Lucky to have Leo, my All-Time Favorite!:)
I figured you would figure out that we had Leo. I am happy to be home now. Train 97 was only a few minutes late to WPK where I boarded SunRail to the bus depot and walked home from there. After many days in cool/cold temperatures, 87 degrees felt awfully hot.

Bill made it home safe and sound. The Capitol Limited (30) on which we were traveling suffered delays (mainly due to freight traffic, I think) and we were 2 hours 6 minutes late. 91 departs 2 hours after the scheduled arrival of 30.
Interestingly the Lake Shore running three hours behind your Capitol suffered only minor delays and was generally within half hour of its schedule everywhere. The final arrival delay in NY was entirely Amtrak's own making with random usual dilly-dallying at Albany. OK so it arrive twenty minutes late and had difficulty completing the task of splitting a train and getting it on its way in 40 minutes instead of the usual scheduled one hour!

Back