Raising the "11 foot 8 Bridge" in Durham, NC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strange I was under the impression that the state required a certain clearance for bridges. Any major work to a bridge was required to meet those state requirements. Which in North Carolina is listed as a Statutory Height of 13’6”.

I guess the state does not need to follow it own guidelines. Meh

Strange I was under the impression that the state required a certain clearance for bridges. Any major work to a bridge was required to meet those state requirements. Which in North Carolina is listed as a Statutory Height of 13’6”.

Maybe there's a waiver or some other allowance in this case, who knows...........

So when the first vehicle hits the new and improved bridge, what will the politician’s response be? Too much work to do it right? So we just fudged it.

A bridge listed at 11’8” will have less impacts than a bridge listed at 13’4”. Drivers can see there a issue at 11’8” at 13’4” there going go for it, thinking it’s a NY type of sign.

Do it right, or just don’t do anything.

I still think drivers will hit the bridge. LIRR made improvements to raise bridge heights which greatly improve the structures and are higher to allow trucks to fit. In this case raising it slightly will only stop a smaller amount of truck strikes to be prevented. They could raise the bridge height further if they collectively raised other sections for a grade slope over this section but the cost to raise this bridge apparently was kept low as 500,000 was budgeted for the project.

I only notice Amtrak suspended on Oct 29th in NC even though bridge is being worked on till November 5th. This is right by the Amtrak Durham station.

North Carolina Railroad Company owns the line in that area and NS (Norfork Southern) is one of their partners. The total amount is 500,000 being spent by North Carolina Railroad Company so that is the total cost of the project. I am not sure what agreements are in place with partners.

The bridgework is needed even if trucks still hit the bridge as the bridge definitely needs to be cleaned up and made structurally more sound. Long Island Railroad in New York is replacing bridges with even lower clearances and those being done now will also be completed at the beginning of November.

North Carolina has been proactive with rail projects.

Last edited:
FYI the truck I drive should be at 13’4” if everything is in adjustment. Should I go for it or not?
I've seen a few trucks and pilot vehicles with vertical measuring sticks installed at the front end of the vehicle that will bump or brush against a bridge that is too low. When driving slowly on level ground it seems like a cheap and easy way to to be relatively certain of the result.

Nooooo to the bridge raising - it's so entertaining!

FYI the truck I drive should be at 13’4” if everything is in adjustment. Should I go for it or not?

YYYEEESSSSS! Just make sure you announce it here and schedule an AU trip crossing the bridge so we can cover it in all directions and from every angle!

So now I want to know if the Bridge's Little Brother is also getting upgrades? You'll have to search for the delightful videos (and then head over to GTOger to see idiot parking in Dallas).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norfolk_Southern–Gregson_Street_Overpass
It was designed in the 1920s, and opened in 1940, with a clearance for vehicles of 11 feet 8 inches (3.56 m). This was a standard height at the time it opened. The standard clearance, since 1973, has a minimum height of 14 feet (4.3 m), which is 2 feet 4 inches (0.71 m) higher than the bridge as built.[1]

MAX truck heights and widths were designated by the individual states and even some cities. The situation became so bad that any one tractor trailer could not be useable in all states without being very small.. So congress passed the minimum 48 foot 13 ft 6 inch standard *(in 1973 ?) Later the 53 ft standard was added as many western states had already gone to that standard. However states could limit 53 ft trailers on other than new federal highway projects. All interstates became immediately available to 53 ft and up to 5 - 10 miles from the interstate. MASS had the 10 mile limit for many years..

Virginia, NC, NY, & at least Chicago had very low max height requirements before congress acted. Just look at all the low clearance RR and "L" clearances still in CHI today..

The CSX line in Pensacola, FL passes over 17th St. on a 10' 0" bridge, commonly called the "Graffiti Bridge" because its north side has about 500 coats of paint from years of graffiti, some fairly good. This bridge is also known to be a bit of a "can opener".

Back