Drug Busts On SWC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When did I say I was an expert? I simply offered up what knowledge I have, based on various training manuals I've read. I never discounted their experience and said to report anything that seemed hinky.

My massage comment was tongue-in-cheek. I should have used an emoji to indicate tone.

Back to the SWC, the update about the waiting room in ABQ is news to me. It's kind of unfortunate. It doesn't leave many options for people who want to wait for passengers to arrive. You can either sit in your car in the heat/cold or sit on the platform in the heat/cold.

I can understand not wanting the homeless to basically live in the station, but I don't see a problem with allowing someone to hang out for 15-20 minutes while waiting for the train to arrive.
I would hope if the train had not yet arrived, they would allow people to wait on the chairs for their passengers to arrive. My observations were post-train while I was waiting for my ride to arrive.

I would hope if the train had not yet arrived, they would allow people to wait on the chairs for their passengers to arrive. My observations were post-train while I was waiting for my ride to arrive.
Oh. :) That makes sense. Thank you.

I would like to travel the western routes, health permitting, as part of my "bucket list" in the next year or two. I'm in my mid 60's and I'll be traveling alone, as my wife doesn't care to travel by train. As a male, traveling by myself and having a sleeper compartment I imagine I'll be subject to extra scrutiny. What is the best way to handle this situation? Let them go through everything as they please? Refuse the luggage inspection unless the officer can produce a search warrant? Allow the inspection but request an Amtrak employee be present as a witness? I have nothing to hide but I wouldn't want to be hauled off of the train somewhere and be left behind while things are sorted out. They sure know how to take the enjoyment out of train travel. Thanks for any advice.
No worries, I do it all the time and I am an old fart of 70. Never been inspected, questioned or stopped. I do coach and sleeper. I mind my business and do as I want. As long as I get helped on and off the train I am happy. Years ago on the Cap Limited I met up with a grandma from Chicago South Side, a dude from UK, 2 gay bros from NYC going to Chicago and a young lady escaping and we drank and played gin into the wee morning. Never had a better train ride. Had my passport checked once on the Late Shore. Carry little cash and passport and no issues.

Haven't seen security checks at ABQ, but have seen agents board #5 at RNO and ride to TRU checking sundry passengers enroute, then detrain there with no one in tow. Presumably one of their compatriots drove over to retrieve them. Or perhaps they hung around TRU for lunch and rode #6 back to RNO.

I've never been inspected by Amtrak police, but have been awoken from a hard sleep before dawn on Train 27 in Grand Forks by the Border Patrol to be asked if I was a U.S. citizen. They woke up everyone in the coach, so it wasn't profiling. I tried to go back to sleep, but kept flashing back to European border crossings with various 1970 political systems that I had experienced.

That once happened, to all train #7/27 passengers in at least one car of the EB(if not more) in Grand Forks? Darnit, that stop is so early in the morning that IMO, you would wish they wouldn't do that there!

BTW relating to this topic, I remember seeing a cop and a drug dog walk the platform in Minot, during our stretch/smoke stop for the westbound #7/27. Couldn't tell if that cop and drug dog briefly entered the train to do a quick walk inside the train, or not. Wouldn't be surprised if they did, for all I know. And it was nice that my sleeper wasn't chosen, for where Amtrak Police did nosy interviews with certain individual sleeper passengers. I know I would've been disappointed but cooperate(as I wouldn't want my travel plans to be delayed further), if I had been chosen by Amtrak Police to do that. Knock on wood that never occurs to me, on any of my future Amtrak trips!

That once happened, to all train #7/27 passengers in at least one car of the EB(if not more) in Grand Forks? Darnit, that stop is so early in the morning that IMO, you would wish they wouldn't do that there!

BTW relating to this topic, I remember seeing a cop and a drug dog walk the platform in Minot, during our stretch/smoke stop for the westbound #7/27. Couldn't tell if that cop and drug dog briefly entered the train to do a quick walk inside the train, or not. Wouldn't be surprised if they did, for all I know. And it was nice that my sleeper wasn't chosen, for where Amtrak Police did nosy interviews with certain individual sleeper passengers. I know I would've been disappointed but cooperate(as I wouldn't want my travel plans to be delayed further), if I had been chosen by Amtrak Police to do that. Knock on wood that never occurs to me, on any of my future Amtrak trips!
Luckily I had previous experience with Communist and Fascist border controls in 1969-71, so that sets a high bar for nuisances. We haven't quite reached the level achieved by a Spanish border guard who pounced on my copy of the German Ausland Kursbuch because it was under some of my clothes when he searched my suitcase. He flipped through it and then tossed it back to me in disgust.

Back