Planning Key West Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning a trip next summer to Key West taking Amtrak from Wilmington, DE to Miami. I plan on taking the Silver Meteor to Hollywood, FL and then Tri-Rail into Miami Airport Station. We thought we would get a room for the night and drive to the Keys the next day. Any suggestions of where to stay? I see the Sheraton Miami Airport & Executive Suites and Holiday Inn Express & Suites are near by. I'm wondering if it is possible to walk to either of these from the train station. I'm a little concerned about crossing the roads around the station to get to one of these. Would they be willing to pick up us at the station? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The La Quinta East near the airport is a nice place if you're on a budget. I believe they have a shuttle to the airport, then you can take the people mover to the rental car center. Only downside is that, aside from the Embassy Suites next door, there's not much around withing walking distance for dinner. They do serve a breakfast, though. I stayed there for my return trip, so I could return the rental car the night before the train left, and then I took a taxi to Amtrak.

You may find it a lot less expensive to skip the airport and stay elsewhere in Miami and rent a car from an off-airport location. I know that enterprise and hertz from nearby locations are good about picking up people even at rail stations. Then you have the car the night before and can go where you want for dinner.

In Denver last year, we took the light rail from downtown to an off-airport location where they picked us up and it cost not much more than 1/3 of the airport price.

My recommendation would be to rent a car as soon as you arrive in Miami, head down US1 away from the airport toward the Keys and find a nice hotel somewhere in the Homestead/Florida City area. The Miami Airport Tri Rail station is actually attached to the airport rental car center. When you arrive all you need to do is follow the signs and head upstairs and every rental car agency you can think of will be there. That’s why I said there is no reason to stay near the airport.

Yup. I would rent a car as soon as I arrive in MIC (TriRail Miami Airport Station) and then stay at some hotel in the Homestead area. Cheaper and also easier to head south from traffic-wise, than from Miami Airport next morning. It is a long drive to Key West. Might as well shorten it a bit.

Incidentally I have driven from Melbourne to Key West, and that, needless to say, is an even longer drive - about 7 hours given reasonable traffic conditions., of which three or a bit more if for getting to Miami.

I have stayed at the Sheraton next the Miami Airport station, and there is only 1 intersection that you need to cross. I didn't have any issues crossing the intersection (it's nowhere near the worst in South Florida, but that's not saying much). The hotel was decent as well.

You might consider one of the many bus day tours to KW. I did one a couple of winters ago for about $40 iirc. It was hassle free and we had 4-5 hrs in KW which was plenty for me. Better than driving and no car to deal with when you get out of it. They picked up from many hotels downtown, Brickell and airport as needed. Just google it. :)

My recommendation would be to rent a car as soon as you arrive in Miami, head down US1 away from the airport toward the Keys and find a nice hotel somewhere in the Homestead/Florida City area. The Miami Airport Tri Rail station is actually attached to the airport rental car center. When you arrive all you need to do is follow the signs and head upstairs and every rental car agency you can think of will be there. That’s why I said there is no reason to stay near the airport.

As a frequent traveler to Key West, I cannot agree more with this suggestion. The Miami Airport area is not the most pleasant part of town and getting the boring part of the Key West drive done early (things don't start getting interesting until Key Largo) will make the Overseas Highway portion that much enjoyable and get you into Key West that much earlier. Any more I use Delta and enjoy the controlled crash into EYW on a 737-700 :)

On that note, a friend who knows I enjoy riding long distance on Amtrak wondered why they just don't extend service on down to Key West! After doubling over laughing for 10 minutes, I told him the Henry Flagler/East Coast Railway story.

You might consider one of the many bus day tours to KW. I did one a couple of winters ago for about $40 iirc. It was hassle free and we had 4-5 hrs in KW which was plenty for me. Better than driving and no car to deal with when you get out of it. They picked up from many hotels downtown, Brickell and airport as needed. Just google it. :)
The day tours are alright if you just want the If It's Tuesday This Must Be Belgium experience (I actually took a nice one on Greyhound back in '78 (before the new bridges) the day after OU tossed it on Nebraska in the Orange Bowl). But to properly experience Key West you need at least 2-3 days.

Just as an alternative suggestion: We took the Meteor to Hollywood. Stayed the night at a Hampton Inn that was reasonably priced. Enterprise picked us up the next morning.. headed south to Keys from there. We stayed on Marathon at a nice Holiday Inn Express and drove to Key West and other points in the Keys for 3-4 days.. Returned the car back in Hollywood. And boarded nb SM the next morning. Avoids hassles of dealing with Miami airport area.

Just as an alternative suggestion: We took the Meteor to Hollywood. Stayed the night at a Hampton Inn that was reasonably priced. Enterprise picked us up the next morning.. headed south to Keys from there. We stayed on Marathon at a nice Holiday Inn Express and drove to Key West and other points in the Keys for 3-4 days.. Returned the car back in Hollywood. And boarded nb SM the next morning. Avoids hassles of dealing with Miami airport area.

We always stay in Marathon when in the Keys and just visit KW.

Back