Montreal v Toronto to NYP?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRR

OBS Chief
I am returning from Brockville, On to New York the end of Oct and would like responses concerning whether Montreal to NYP or Toronto to NYP would be the preferred route.

I am returning from Brockville, On to New York the end of Oct and would like responses concerning whether Montreal to NYP or Toronto to NYP would be the preferred route.
Montreal to NYP if the schedule works. You won't have to drag yourself off the train with bag and baggage for border inspection.

Montreal would be a much shorter route than Toronto, in distance....
The shortest route though, would be driving or bus over the Thousand Islands Bridge, thence via Syracuse

In my opinion, the major plus of the Maple Leaf is that it offers Business Class.

I found the dome car schedule at Amtrak - it's on the Downeaster for much of September this year, but then the Adirondack from maybe ~Sept 20 to mid/late October.

Just search for Amtrak dome car.

I found the dome car schedule at Amtrak - it's on the Downeaster for much of September this year, but then the Adirondack from maybe ~Sept 20 to mid/late October.

Just search for Amtrak dome car.
If you have found a dome car schedule for 2019, please provide a link.

I can't recall where I saw that info, and it could have been a prior year
>> has it run on the Downeaster before?
I wasn't that interested as I'll be on the Adirondack in eight days and am taking the Ethan Allen on my mid-October trip.

Trying to find the source just now, I ran across this:
"Sadly, at the young age of about 65, the Great Dome Car may be facing retirement. Staff on the train told us she was taken out of service for repairs after a tree branch broke a window in 2018, and that may be the last time she gets fixed up. If another major repair is needed, she will likely be retired instead." from http://travellatte.net/complete-guide-to-riding-the-amtrak-adirondack/

Which you experienced folks likely knew about already.

I must say - these folks don't look very excited about being on it.
https://wjbq.com/dome-car-providing-unique-view-returning-to-amtrak-downeaster/

NGL, I wish Amtrak would work out an arrangement with one of the PV owners for a lease for a pair of domes for the relevant seasons on the Adirondack. The Great Dome is a nice treat, but it also really isn't put to terribly good use in some respects. Also, they really should look into selling reserved seats in the dome or something similar...that just feels like a wasted revenue opportunity.

Thanks all. Since we are an "all train" and "boat" trip, we went with the Montreal option. With either Toronto or Montreal , schedules require an overnight. I am posting the completion of the trip which will include a stop in Wilmington, De, to visit with my daughter and family. Thanks for all the advice.

NGL, I wish Amtrak would work out an arrangement with one of the PV owners for a lease for a pair of domes for the relevant seasons on the Adirondack. The Great Dome is a nice treat, but it also really isn't put to terribly good use in some respects. Also, they really should look into selling reserved seats in the dome or something similar...that just feels like a wasted revenue opportunity.

That sounds like a great idea as the main complaint seems to be that it bleeds expenses but doesn't generate any revenue. However, either you allow foot traffic or station a conductor at the stairs. The latter would be preferred, as standing passengers would just lessen the view that you paid for. Maybe a gate that a valid digital ticket would open?

Would it be at all feasible for a manufacturer to modify the Superliner plan to build a car that would meet Eastern clearances, say a café/coach with dome on top?

That sounds like a great idea as the main complaint seems to be that it bleeds expenses but doesn't generate any revenue. However, either you allow foot traffic or station a conductor at the stairs. The latter would be preferred, as standing passengers would just lessen the view that you paid for. Maybe a gate that a valid digital ticket would open?

Would it be at all feasible for a manufacturer to modify the Superliner plan to build a car that would meet Eastern clearances, say a café/coach with dome on top?

As long as it fits in a height of 14’6”. So such is not feasible with a standard 4’ high floor for the lower level. With the bottom floor at a lower level multi level cars are possible and hundreds of them operate on the NEC each day.

But the whole point of a dome is for it to be above the roof line of the train. Since the roof line of single level trains are somewhere between 13’ and 14’6” there will be not much of a dome which fits through 14’6”.

As long as it fits in a height of 14’6”. So such is not feasible with a standard 4’ high floor for the lower level. With the bottom floor at a lower level multi level cars are possible and hundreds of them operate on the NEC each day.

But the whole point of a dome is for it to be above the roof line of the train. Since the roof line of single level trains are somewhere between 13’ and 14’6” there will be not much of a dome which fits through 14’6”.

I meant the Eastern half of the country, NOT the NEC. Specifically thinking of the Adirondack and Downeaster, but no doubt other trains should be able to run this.
If the now retired domes would fit, why can't a newly built car with revenue-generating seats - top and bottom?

I meant the Eastern half of the country, NOT the NEC. Specifically thinking of the Adirondack and Downeaster, but no doubt other trains should be able to run this.
If the now retired domes would fit, why can't a newly built car with revenue-generating seats - top and bottom?
Sure. no problem with that at all. The usual question is will there be a sufficient revenue stream from those over say 30 years so that someone can be convinced to loan the money with the revenue stream as collateral to make it happen.

Whether the government should pay for it while other much more deserving passenger rail projects including just plain old state of good repair projects to keep the current trains running, are going abegging due to lack of availability of funding, is a different discussion of course.

Perhaps some wealthy persons could sponsor them (as an investment or charitable contribution) and get their name on the side of the car?

I see no reason the revenue stream should be any less than a coach or sleeper, and based on the idea to charge for dome seats you get two levels of passengers paying off the build cost.

Superliner's (and dome cars) have been as close as a mile or so from Penn Station...at Hoboken Terminal for special events in the past...:)

Back