Sen. Blumenthal demands Amtrak to reinstate veteran discount

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, if he can actually get Amtrak to do so.
https://www.wtnh.com/news/connectic...trak-to-reinstate-veteran-discount/2041510560

I believe the (prior) Veteran's discount was tied to being a member of "Veteran Advantage". Not just being a Vet.

Senator Blumenthal was in the news a while back when he was standing a little too close to the edge of the platform during a pitch on safety - and a through train ran through the station!

Warrior Class 1% of the population. 25% of the veterans show sign of metal health issues. The good Senator is fighting for a discount when traveling on Amtrak...

Missed it there Senator Blumenthal.

My opinion my thoughts.

It’s low hanging fruit. In a normal world Amtrak management would have reversed these stupid cuts at the first inkling of an uproar from Congress. Good for him for still prodding Anderson to do the right thing. My personal opinion Anderson could care less.

Last edited:
Yeah enacted last year, add 30 locations for peer support. However peer support falls short of professional metal health service. It a step in a good direction, just not a big step. Peer support is available at any VFW Post too, just a bit more causal, and with a beer or two.

He could but he would have to introduce legislation that repeals the "Amtrak must not lose money on food service" law. Restoring veterans discount is real low hanging fruit. Who could be against that? Amtrak's management seems to have no common sense at all sometimes.

He could but he would have to introduce legislation that repeals the "Amtrak must not lose money on food service" law. Restoring veterans discount is real low hanging fruit. Who could be against that? Amtrak's management seems to have no common sense at all sometimes.

Based on a post on another forum, what if all food service was via automat sections in a car with some tables on the other end - along with machines that dispense various drinks - packaged, except for coffee. Extended service hours with theoretically reduced staff.

Press Release

DISCOUNT FOR MILITARY VETERANS NOW AVAILABLE FOR TRAVEL ON AMTRAK

Amtrak is offering customers who have served in the U.S. armed forces a new way to save on rail travel. A 10% discount for military veterans is now available for customers who have served in the Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard.

Press Release

DISCOUNT FOR MILITARY VETERANS NOW AVAILABLE FOR TRAVEL ON AMTRAK

Amtrak is offering customers who have served in the U.S. armed forces a new way to save on rail travel. A 10% discount for military veterans is now available for customers who have served in the Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard.
Glad to see the younger veterans getting an advantage they wouldn't have had w/o pressure on Amtrak. They deserve it.

Who could be against handing the most entitled group in the country yet another government mandated benefit?

Yes and no - I gather they're not entitled to anything approaching reasonable health care, or adequate treatment for Agent Orange or PTSD.
The really sad part is how many of them end up homeless and living on the street.
I'm just thinking there should be some sort of say six-month long (year?) program to help them adjust to civilian life vs. "thank you for your service and good luck", but then you'd just think it was another wasteful entitlement. Or maybe even better - or combined with that, a program Before Discharge to determine which ones will likely be OK and which ones might need some help with the transition.
What would really help our service members the most is ending the stream of pointless and wasteful (human and financial) foreign adventures that we've had starting with Vietnam.

As an afterthought, I do think it is necessary and right to distinguish between veterans who have been exposed to combat or combat theaters and those who have been not in terms of some benefits. After all, these folks get to retire after 20 years and many go on to other careers, especially the officers.

I enlisted after high school in the Vietnam era because I knew I wasn't ready for college (it would take another 40 years for that ;-), but was sent to Germany and being in a European country was an amazing thing to an impressionable 18-year old, so while army life isn't particularly fun, I enjoyed my off-duty hours and met many interesting fellow-soldiers (an intelligent bunch) and Germans.

A favorite story - I tend to procrastination so was always among the last when morning formation was called. I was just exiting the barrack door one morning as the call to order was about to be given. The master sergeant yelled, "Get moving soldier - hop to it". I just happened to be a strong and fast hopper, so hopped the remaining 30 yards in record time with 500 men laughing, but I'd done it under orders. It was totally immediate and instinctual and I meant no disrespect.

...you'd just think it was another wasteful entitlement.
I have nothing against providing veterans a wide range of benefits both during and after their service. My disagreement is specific to the way we selectively limit so many benefits to a single group while the vast majority of working age people are left to fend for themselves.

Last edited:
For my own part: I do not consider myself "entitled" to any benefits. If the citizens of my country and my state choose to recognize and honor my service in some tangible way, I accept with gratitude. But if for some reason those benefits were withdrawn, I would suck it up and move on with my life.

Living in Texas, which has state veteran's programs over and above those offered by FedGov, there are often ballot items authorizing increases. When those come up, I abstain...if other citizens approve, I thank them, but I don't want to be in the position of voting myself largess.

Back