Baggage Service Oakland Connecting to Fisherman’s Wharf

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog Rancher

Train Attendant
My wife and I are taking the Coast Starlight connecting at Oakland Jack London for Fisherman’s Wharf for a 10-day cruise the next day. While there’s bag service in Oakland to get our bags off the CS, Amtrak can’t tell us for sure if they will put our bags on the connecting bus. Fisherman’s Wharf is just a bus stop and while the driver would certainly take our bags off, it’s the getting them on in Oakland no one can answer.

Anyone have any experience with this?

As far as I know, Amtrak will check your bags to Oakland. You claim them and you move them (walk them) to the bus. It's maybe a 150ft foot walk from claiming bags off the cart to the garage where the bus is located. In this picture, the arrow is where checked baggage is usually claimed and the bus is just inside the parking garage there.
NoRBUPt.jpg

The bus drivers, although not usually award winning with their charm, will load the bags onto the bottom of the bus. The driver will then unload them curbside from the bottom of the bus at Fisherman's Wharf.

I should mention that one time I did have trouble getting my bag checked since my final bus stop (Hyatt on Market St) did not have checked baggage. In that case I had to load my baggage onto the bottom of the sleeper, but I'm not sure if that was an ill informed station agent or the actual policy. I don't check bags enough to know for certain.

Thank you! That's exactly what we needed to know. I think we'll just load them on the sleeper downstairs bin and take them off ourselves; it seems like this would save time vs waiting for baggage.

Just a heads up that the walk from the train is much shorter from train #14 sleepers than it is from train #11 sleepers. Hope you have a nice trip!
Ha! Good thing we're on 14. Only bad part is it's almost an hour late into SBA and I doubt it's going to make that up by the time it gets to SLO where we jump on...

Still shows on time to OKJ. Yeah, really.

Looking forward to the cruise. Haven't been on a ship for 10 years. I've missed it. Thank you for the well-wishes.

The idea of "self checking" sounds much better to me. Having bags where you can get to them is always nice.

Also, assuming you may have to drag bags at some or all points on your trip helps set yourself up for a GOOD trip. Some folks take so much crap, and often can not manage it, they just make a trip a real pain in the ___.

Back