coolers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you tip at end of stay or whenever they come by and provide a service?
I tip when I detrain, like RitchieRich, for general service (including ice). If I request an in room meal (seldom), I tip extra for the meal when the meal is delivered, though.

Some people tip beforehand (aka, bribe), I tip for services rendered. I usually tip $10 night for acceptable service (puts the bed up and down at requested times, gets ice on occasion, is in the car at least sometimes), up to $20 for really good service. And I've tipped zero with a call to Customer Relations for bad service (dictates when bed will be put down, doesn't do it at all, never in the car).

Since mine is soft sided, I actually fold it down and carry it onboard in one of the outside pockets of my suitcase, not as a separate piece. When unfolded, it may be a tad longer than 12", but it certainly is neither 12" wide, nor 12" tall.

I bought one back in 2015 for my SEA-EMY trip on the CS. It had two pockets and was folded up when I got it. It's been pretty useful over the years, but the disadvantage is that I can't really use ice because it's going to leak. It's got some sort of "waterproof" liner, but in my experience these soft liners leak. I bought some ice substitute and froze those before the trip. Didn't stay cold that long, but a bigger block would have.

I bought one back in 2015 for my SEA-EMY trip on the CS. It had two pockets and was folded up when I got it. It's been pretty useful over the years, but the disadvantage is that I can't really use ice because it's going to leak. It's got some sort of "waterproof" liner, but in my experience these soft liners leak. I bought some ice substitute and froze those before the trip. Didn't stay cold that long, but a bigger block would have.
Mine doesn't leak when upright. Have to be careful because the zipper on the top isn't watertight, so if I tilt it or it goes on its side it does leak. I often forget that. It holds the cold pretty well, keeping at least some ice as ice all day. Not as good as a hard sided cooler, but a lot more convienent for travel.

Mine doesn't leak when upright. Have to be careful because the zipper on the top isn't watertight, so if I tilt it or it goes on its side it does leak. I often forget that. It holds the cold pretty well, keeping at least some ice as ice all day. Not as good as a hard sided cooler, but a lot more convienent for travel.

I wouldn't trust any soft liner to be truly leakproof. They might keep from leaking for a while, but in my experience they all eventually start leaking because of cracks that develops in the liner. I had one years ago where I'd identify the crack and then repair it with a waterproof adhesive patch. But inevitably another leak would form. The cracks are tiny, but it was annoying when the fabric would start getting wet.

I consider that type of cooler best with an ice substitute that stays dry.

I wouldn't trust any soft liner to be truly leakproof. They might keep from leaking for a while, but in my experience they all eventually start leaking because of cracks that develops in the liner. I had one years ago where I'd identify the crack and then repair it with a waterproof adhesive patch. But inevitably another leak would form. The cracks are tiny, but it was annoying when the fabric would start getting wet.

I consider that type of cooler best with an ice substitute that stays dry.
Understood, but that can be problematic on a multi-day trip. Besides, personally I mostly want ice to use as ice, not to keep other things cool. If my cheap little walmart soft sided cooler starts leaking, I guess I'll get a new one.

Haven't had much luck getting ice from my SCA's, though a handful have put a KFC-size bucket of ice out for the car during the evening hours.

On my trip on the Southwest Chief last winter, when much of New Mexico got a heavy snowfall, my SCA gave me one of the "ice buckets" to fill with snow since the train was supposedly low on ice. I filled it up with snow at Gallup, NM, put some beverages in and they were cold when I came back from dinner.

Understood, but that can be problematic on a multi-day trip. Besides, personally I mostly want ice to use as ice, not to keep other things cool. If my cheap little walmart soft sided cooler starts leaking, I guess I'll get a new one.

I get that. It might be possible to have bags for the ice if the intent is just to keep the contents cold.

Where I was restricted to a "soft-sided" cooler, such as certain stadiums, I've used fabric coolers with a plastic tub liner.

The dining car crew is very observant. If you come from the wrong direction, do not know your car/room number or attendant's name, they likely will request to see your ticket.

Even coming from the right direction, there have been times when I've been questioned, and I could not remember my car/room number (they don't accept replies like "1 car back, room right after the shower"), and certainly not my attendant's name (never say "George" even if true).

Haven't had much luck getting ice from my SCA's, though a handful have put a KFC-size bucket of ice out for the car during the evening hours.

At least from my experience, the SCA was issued only one bag of ice, from which they need to serve everyone's needs. Under those circumstances, asking or expecting the SCA to fill up your cooler might cross the line into being an unreasonable request.

At least from my experience, the SCA was issued only one bag of ice, from which they need to serve everyone's needs. Under those circumstances, asking or expecting the SCA to fill up your cooler might cross the line into being an unreasonable request.
On my last few trips, they don't even have that any more. They get ice from the diner or cafe now.

Trip coming up and another question. We are flying into Utah SLC from ORD. My brother is taking all our luggage as he is driving and will pick us up at the airport. My question is for the train ride home. This is what we will have and want to know if we can bring it all or if we will need to have him take some items back with him. There are 2 of us, so we will have 2 carryons, 1 overnight bag, 1 purse, 1 laptop, 1 fishing pole and tackle gear. We have a roomette and am thinking we may just sleep in the seats and use the top bunk to store our luggage. If need be, I could probably put purse in the overnight bag.

Last edited:
I really don't think you will have issues and can still use the bunks. (actually, one of the hilites IMHO).
2 carryons, If not under the seats, downstairs in the baggage shelf, or in the upper bunk and cubbyhole by day, and on the floor between the seats under the lower bunk by night.
1 overnight bag, Put it in the compartment above the window
1 purse, Keep it with you, of course. Under the seat is good, or next to you on the shelf/step.
1 laptop, Probably thin enough to go in the coat closet
1 fishing pole and tackle gear. In the coat closet, natch!
Curiously enough, I have never had an issue with leaving bags in the storage area downstairs. Nobless oblige in First Class? Coach passengers not allowed in First Class cars? Dunno.
Have a good trip, in any case!

Thank you drd, I live 1.5 hours away from him, so was hoping to just take all with us on trip home.

Back