Are AGR Points late at being posted this month?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the normal billing date for your credit card? Perhaps the billing date has changed?

For what it's worth, my CC points typically post 1-2 days after my billing date of the 7th. My points posted on Tuesday the 9th.

I keep thinking something must be up with AGR, since with the trip I just completed to Glacier National Park, that I thought such a big trip I did(coach going west, roomette going east and back) would rake up more than about 600 additional points. Or does that seem right, to those more familiar with how much AGR points are given out for longer train trips?

Just got off the phone with Amtrak AGR. They informed that the Bank of America is late posting points this month due to a glitch in their computer system. As of today I finally did get some points but about 3000 less than I should have received. I'll give them another week to see if all the point are posted before opening a case.

I keep thinking something must be up with AGR, since with the trip I just completed to Glacier National Park, that I thought such a big trip I did(coach going west, roomette going east and back) would rake up more than about 600 additional points. Or does that seem right, to those more familiar with how much AGR points are given out for longer train trips?

Sometimes AGR takes longer to post. I did a trip from Michigan to Portland up to Seattle and back a little over a month ago. The last of my points posted a couple of weeks after completion. On my trip the last leg was a bus, due to a late Empire Builder into Chicago, which may have played into the late posting. Currently I’m on another trip and should return tomorrow. I fully expect my points to post by late in the week, but won’t be surprised if it takes a few days longer.

Points are based on what you pay, not on miles traveled.

I haven't received my AGR World Card June Statement from BOA which normally comes on the 7th of each Month, nor my AGR Points.

BOA is supposedly having Computer Problems per several posts I've read on various Sites.

I haven't received my AGR World Card June Statement from BOA which normally comes on the 7th of each Month, nor my AGR Points.

BOA is supposedly having Computer Problems per several posts I've read on various Sites.

I guess I am lucky. My statement closes on the 7th also. I have received my statement and my points. :)

A bit more than a year ago, I happened to have dinner and breakfast the next day with an AGR representative from the LA office (now closed?) and I asked why does it take so long for points to post? Her answer was simple. It wasn't as 'automatic' as it could be. There's multiple computers involved and the data transfer is unreliable, as is getting someone to 'fix it' when it fails to complete.

I never cease to be amazed that in this day UPS and Fedex both can tell you within 100 feet of where the delivery truck with your package is and once delivered (scanned), they'll even send a text or email to you. AGR used to be reasonably consistent at 3-4 work days to post points for a trip. But my recent trips posted Select Executive 'bonus' points a full day before the 'regular' points and business class bonus points posted! And a one day trip with 4 segments got posted over 3 non-consecutive days starting 6 days after I completed the trip! I keep an Excel spreadsheet of each of my trips, segment by segment and the number of points expected (with some guesswork for conjunctive fares) and then verify I got all the points when I see them posted. So far, I've never had to fight with them to get the points right. But I have had to adjust my 'expected' points when I got conjuctive fare segment pricing wrong. I also learned that CTRail doesn't tell AGR when I've used an Amtrak ticket for their train when I missed the last Amtrak train to WNL (tickets are cross honored on both carriers).

Last posting on my wife's AGR account was on July 6 from BofA which was "on time". My BofA posting is late in the month so, we'll see how it goes in a week or two. Last Amtrak posting (May) was within 5 days of taking the trip.

Points are based on what you pay, not on miles traveled.

Gotcha, and thanks for responding. Years ago with AGR, was there ever a time when AGR reward points were based on miles traveled?

Also if you’re riding business class where available there is a bonus and if you qualify for AGR Select and above, there is a bonus.

I figured business class would have some sort of extra bonus, vs riding in coach. And funny you mention the AGR select tier, since I almost want to make an attempt to see if I could do enough Amtrak train trips before the end of the year, to get to select status. Who knows if I'll achieve that in time, though?

ETA, that I did FINALLY get all of my points from my recent Glacier National Park Empire Builder trip. And don't worry, if you don't see points from a recent Amtrak trip show up right away. Since yes, it can take something like 7-10 days(forget how many), for those new AGR points from a recent train trip to show up in your account.

Last edited:
Gotcha, and thanks for responding. Years ago with AGR, was there ever a time when AGR reward points were based on miles traveled?

I figured business class would have some sort of extra bonus, vs riding in coach. And funny you mention the AGR select tier, since I almost want to make an attempt to see if I could do enough Amtrak train trips before the end of the year, to get to select status. Who knows if I'll achieve that in time, though?

ETA, that I did FINALLY get my points from my recent Glacier National Park Empire Builder trip. And don't worry, if you don't see points from a recent Amtrak trip show up right away. Since yes, it can take something like 7-10 days(forget how many), for those new AGR points from a recent train trip to show up in your account.

I got my points from my trip on the 13th and 14th today. No worries there.

I've been AGR Select for a couple of years now and just qualified yet again thanks to that trip. I was 2 TQPs short before the trip. I will be AGR Select thru 2/28/21. I'd love to see if I can qualify for AGR Select Plus similar to your wish to become an AGR Select member....I too am not that optimistic about it either.

Back