coolers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearabull

Train Attendant
First trip in August. We have a roomette, so it looks like we can bring a cooler in there. Is that correct? Also, Does the train have an icemaker where we can refill if needed?

First trip in August. We have a roomette, so it looks like we can bring a cooler in there. Is that correct? Also, Does the train have an icemaker where we can refill if needed?

No ice maker on the train but the cafe car attendant and/or your sleeper car attendant will supply you with ice, within reason.

We bring a small cooler on every trip. Remember, your Roomette does have limited space. We freeze water bottles and put them in the cooler (ice and later, water.) Enjoy your trip!

We bring a small cooler on every trip. Remember, your Roomette does have limited space. We freeze water bottles and put them in the cooler (ice and later, water.) Enjoy your trip!

I used to freeze bottled water too but without the cooler.

I've heard from others, that the sleeping car attendant has brought ice to those within a sleeping car. So you should not have a problem asking for this, if you want a bag of ice from your SCA.

I've had SCAs bring me ice in everything from a cup to a KFC sized bucket. Bring a big ZipLok bag or two. The frozen bottles of water are a good idea, too. I hope your definition of "cooler" is a small collapsible one. Roomettes are fairly cozy, remember...

And don't forget the first and most important rule - TIP YOUR ATTENDANT WELL!

I've had SCAs bring me ice in everything from a cup to a KFC sized bucket. Bring a big ZipLok bag or two. The frozen bottles of water are a good idea, too. I hope your definition of "cooler" is a small collapsible one. Roomettes are fairly cozy, remember...

And don't forget the first and most important rule - TIP YOUR ATTENDANT WELL!

KFC sized bucket? Wow! Generous SCA!

Agreed, tip your attendant well unless he/she is completely nonexistent. Most are great and deserve a good tip!

one more question, when going to the dining car, how do they know you have the roomette and get your meals free?

one more question, when going to the dining car, how do they know you have the roomette and get your meals free?
You enter from the sleeper side.
You put your room and car number on the meal bill.
They remember you from previous meals on that trip.
They can compare your room number to manifest
They know conductor can have police meet you at the next RR crossing if you lie
They can have SCA throw your clothes out along the route and your body in known unvisited areas so you disappear forever if you have cheated them. Take the Sunset Limited. There are a lot of bleached bones along the route. It's a trick trying to guess the age and sex of them as you ride along. Much more fun than watching stupid mountains,rivers and other scenery on the more northern routes.

Do you tip at end of stay or whenever they come by and provide a service?

I tip the SCA at the end. However, if the SCA brings you a meal from the dining car, many tip the SCA at that time. I leave tips on the table after each meal in the dining car.

The dining car crew is very observant. If you come from the wrong direction, do not know your car/room number or attendant's name, they likely will request to see your ticket.

When boarding in Chicago (or any other station with a lounge for sleeping car passengers), I usually add ice to my not-huge cooler from the ice dispenser in the lounge. For a one-night trip that's usually enough for me.

Agree. If they gave a BAG of ice to everyone who requested it the diner and lounge cars wouldn't have any left for those ordering drinks.

The suggestion by alang, above, to freeze water bottles before travelling makes more sense and is realistic.
I have gotten ice in freezer bags they keep onboard. They give you about the same amount of ice they give you in the "kfc" style cardboard bucket (which they don't fill to the brim, around halfway is about the most I've seen). It isn't a whole supermarket style packaged bag of ice, they just fill a plastic bag instead of a cardboard bucket.

I prefer the bag to the bucket as I have a small, soft sided cooler (about 1 1/2 times the size of a shoe box) and I just put bag in the cooler and the bag supplies a bit of extra insulation.

I get one ice resupply for my cooler per day.

Last edited:
Ice is replenished along the route. I've been given anything from a glass of ice, to the waxed paper KFC size bucket full of ice to keep the bottle of white wine I bought onboard chilled. Some stations, have an ice box that the SCA grabs a bag as needed and at some stations, ice is brought to the sleeping cars and left by the door.

It's kind of an odd thing, but if you ask JULIE about coolers on the Amtrak website, this pops up:

Coolers no larger than 12 inches by 12 inches by 12 inches may be brought onboard as a personal item.​

I believe there has been a lot of discussion about this, especially given that there's been no other indication in any Amtrak rules that state that coolers are limited to this size and the max size is very specific as 12 inches cubed even though that differs from the personal item dimension specified in the rules. I would say a passenger should be able to bring aboard a cooler that conforms to the maximum carry-on size.

I've personally brought aboard an Igloo Island Breeze 9 and never got a second look. It's 13" wide.

It's kind of an odd thing, but if you ask JULIE about coolers on the Amtrak website, this pops up:

Coolers no larger than 12 inches by 12 inches by 12 inches may be brought onboard as a personal item.​

I believe there has been a lot of discussion about this, especially given that there's been no other indication in any Amtrak rules that state that coolers are limited to this size and the max size is very specific as 12 inches cubed even though that differs from the personal item dimension specified in the rules. I would say a passenger should be able to bring aboard a cooler that conforms to the maximum carry-on size.

I've personally brought aboard an Igloo Island Breeze 9 and never got a second look. It's 13" wide.
Since mine is soft sided, I actually fold it down and carry it onboard in one of the outside pockets of my suitcase, not as a separate piece. When unfolded, it may be a tad longer than 12", but it certainly is neither 12" wide, nor 12" tall.

Back