Clemson Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor
Is there an estimate of when the station will be reopened? Also, is the new platform going to be high-level? I didn't even realize that there was going to be a new platform, but while passing on a very late Crescent today there was clearly a new platform being constructed and it is higher than a low-level platform, but also appears to be lower at the moment than a typical high-level platform.

Did the state ever start the work to replace the bridge just south of the station? That project was what prompted the NS to temporarily move the mainline and forced Amtrak to not stop there. Last I heard it was still in limbo due to controversy over the new bridge or funding.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but any update on this? It looks like Clemson is listed as a stop on the Crescent, but online they keep showing thruway bus from Greenville, SC? Does Amtrak really pay for a bus as opposed to operating the station?

If they have free parking, it would be better hours than Greenville, now that the latter dumped its baggage service. Since the 11PM northbound never seems to arrive before 1AM (at least when I take it) and the southbound (why is it always on time - at pre-5AM?) would give us a little more sleeping time - and if a little late, breakfast.

If they have free parking, it would be better hours than Greenville, now that the latter dumped its baggage service. Since the 11PM northbound never seems to arrive before 1AM (at least when I take it) and the southbound (why is it always on time - at pre-5AM?) would give us a little more sleeping time - and if a little late, breakfast.
Amtrak runs a van from Clemson to Greenville, even tho the train comes right past the Clemson station, because it has taken forever to finish a platform change at Clemson. The van works poorly, because it always leaves Clemson on time, while the (northbound, at least) Crescent is always at least two hours late. Therefore people from/near Clemson cannot stay home doing something fun or useful but have to get to the station to take the van. Then they have to spend two hours in the dreary Greenville station which is more-or-less unmanned, although the van driver may have to hang around, and there is/was a woman who also hangs around, pd. by Amtrak I think. Those hours, c.11PM to 1AM, are not recoverable! Sigh! -- Jim Loewen

But is there free multi-day parking? For me it would be an hour and 16 minute drive per Google vs 48 minutes to Greenville but we'd board the northbound earlier (late night) and have more time in the AM before having to disembark and that means more sleep.

There is free multi day parking in Clemson. When I used to date a Clemson student I used to park my car at the station from Friday-Monday once a month. And I never had an issue with the car.

Back