Potential Tropical Storm in Gulf of Mexico

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief
While not officially classified as a tropical cyclone, it looks like it could be a tremendous rainmaker for areas that do not really need it along the Mississippi River. This probably does not bode well for the CONO returning to New Orleans and may cause disruptions to the Sunset Limited and Crescent, although nothing official yet.

D_EiAL1X4AAKFSb.png:large

SERVICE ADVISORY: Due to severe weather, Crescent Train 20 departing New Orleans (NOL) on 7/12 and 7/13 will originate in Atlanta (ATL) with no alternate transportation.
https://twitter.com/AmtrakAlerts/status/1149042993921441792

SERVICE ADVISORY: Due to severe weather, Crescent Train 19 departing New York (NYP) on 7/10 will terminate in Meridian (MEI) with alternate transportation. Crescent Train 19 departing New York (NYP) on 7/11 - 7/12 will terminate in Atlanta (ATL) with no alternate transportation.
https://twitter.com/AmtrakAlerts/status/1149042315165650945

SERVICE ADVISORY: Due to severe weather, Sunset Limited Train 2 departing Los Angeles (LAX) on 7/10 will terminate in San Antonio (SAS) & Sunset Limited Train 1 departing New Orleans (NOL) on 7/12 will originate in San Antonio (SAS). No alternative transportation will be provided
https://twitter.com/AmtrakAlerts/status/1149030571345108992

That's freaky, that the water level already is 19 feet high. Speaking of the Bonnet Carre(sp?) Spillway, I guess that bridge still can't be used for trains as of now, and Amtrak is still having to begin/end trains in Jackson w/bustitution south of there? That's too bad, for anyone trying to travel on CONO south of Jackson. I hope plans are done, to rebuild that Bonnet Carre bridge to allow for a higher elevation above it. And so that having to restrict train traffic over it, occurs less often.

Looks like Barry will be a very brief and low-grade hurricane. Biggest impact will probably be rain in central and eastern Louisiana. (An area which does not have any particular need for more rain.)

Height of the trestle is not the problem. It is instability of the base of the pillars on which it stands.

Ah, so that's the problem with the existing Bonnet Carre Spillway bridge. That the ground is marshy and soft, hence why I could see whatever freight railroad(Canadian Pacific or CN? sorry, I can't remember who took over for I think Illinois Central) that maintains this bridge closed the bridge out of caution. Hopefully a bridge replacement could be built, that is more stable than the existing bridge.

Ah, so that's the problem with the existing Bonnet Carre Spillway bridge. That the ground is marshy and soft, hence why I could see whatever freight railroad(Canadian Pacific or CN? sorry, I can't remember who took over for I think Illinois Central) that maintains this bridge closed the bridge out of caution. Hopefully a bridge replacement could be built, that is more stable than the existing bridge.
The bridge replacement project I believe is currently funded and imminent.

The track is owned by CN. Also, the bridge is not closed and is still being used by freight trains; it is just not allowed to carry passenger trains for the time being.

The track is owned by CN. Also, the bridge is not closed and is still being used by freight trains; it is just not allowed to carry passenger trains for the time being.

Ah, so it's CN. Thanks for confirming one of my 2 guesses (other was Canadian Pacific) was right! Weird that freight trains can run over the Bonnet Carre Spillway bridge for now, but not passenger trains! Is CN restricting how long freight trains can be (to shorter length), that run over this spillway bridge?

The bridge replacement project I believe is currently funded and imminent.

Good to know a replacement bridge will be built, soon.

Somewhere I read that 58 and 59 are still operating between Jackson, MS, and New Orleans, but only with the operating crew.

Is this really the truth?!? Now the situation of bustitution between Jackson and New Orleans, seems super confusing that Amtrak can run their trains through only with employees, but not passengers. Is that something CN ordered Amtrak to do south of Jackson, for the time being? That depresses me to hear this, if true.

Somewhere I read that 58 and 59 are still operating between Jackson, MS, and New Orleans, but only with the operating crew.

It was my understanding, as well, that 58 and 59 trains were going to and from NOL/JAN with their crews aboard. In fact, one came through my small town about a month ago or so on a totally different CN rail line

It makes sense because I’m almost positive that Jackson’s Union Station is not set up to service, stock, turn (?), etc. the trains.

dogbert, what depresses you about Amtrak trains with passengers not being allowed to pass over the bridge, but with only crews it is allowed? A train load of passengers in this situation is a tremendous liability risk. For employees it may be contractually required, or, at the very least, a case for additional compensation (hazard pay ?), or an opt out situation. I don’t know. But, the decision to not allow passengers seems like a well reasoned business decision.

Last edited:
New Orleans Service Modified Due to Hurricane Forecast

New Orleans Service Modified Due to Hurricane Forecast

Routes in each direction affected into this weekend

Amtrak has modified service to and from New Orleans due to the forecasted arrival of hurricane-force storms this weekend. No substitute transportation is available between New Orleans and the points where these routes will temporarily originate and terminate.

Trains 1 & 2, the Amtrak Sunset Limited, ordinarily operates between New Orleans and Los Angeles three days weekly. Through Tuesday, July 16, these trains will terminate and originate in San Antonio.

Trains 19 & 20, the Amtrak Crescent, ordinarily operates daily between New Orleans and New York City. Through Sunday, July 14, these trains will terminate and originate in Atlanta.

Trains 58 & 59, the Amtrak City of New Orleans, ordinarily operates daily between New Orleans and Chicago. This Friday, July 12, these trains will terminate and originate in Jackson, Miss. This Saturday and Sunday, July 13 and 14, these trains will originate and terminate in Memphis.

Anyone planning to travel should check their train status on Amtrak.com or our smartphone apps prior to departing, allow extra time to get to the station and be extremely careful in stations and on platforms.

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will gladly waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 800-USA-RAIL.

Anyone can subscribe to automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations. Notifications can be given for up to six trains and stations by either text or email and delivered when you choose - on a single day, every day, or just certain days of the week. Create a subscription at Amtrak.com/DelayAlerts.

Customers with travel plans can review refund information on Amtrak.com. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices, and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/Alerts.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

It was my understanding, as well, that 58 and 59 trains were going to and from NOL/JAN with their crews aboard. In fact, one came through my small town about a month ago or so on a totally different CN rail line

It makes sense because I’m almost positive that Jackson’s Union Station is not set up to service, stock, turn (?), etc. the trains.

dogbert, what depresses you about Amtrak trains with passengers not being allowed to pass over the bridge, but with only crews it is allowed? A train load of passengers in this situation is a tremendous liability risk. For employees it may be contractually required, or, at the very least, a case for additional compensation (hazard pay ?), or an opt out situation. I don’t know. But, the decision to not allow passengers seems like a well reasoned business decision.

All I was wondering, was why they weren't turning the trains around in Jackson, and running the trains empty of passengers except employees, between Jackson-NOL. Yes, I shouldn't have used the word depressed, wrong choice of word to use there that's for sure! So they were deadheading the trains south of Jackson using a different CN rail line(vs. the usual one the CONO train uses between Jackson-NOL) towards New Orleans with only Amtrak employees, but having the employees stay in a hotel in the New Orleans area overnight? Was just trying to understand this situation better, and thanks.

And yes, I can see the liability issue, as to why CN and Amtrak decided to do the passenger bussing between Jackson and New Orleans. Hopefully Amtrak rail service is restored at some point, though with weather issues I'm kinda worried that restoration won't happen till sometime in the fall. But who knows, maybe a surprise will occur and restoration of CONO service south of Jackson will occur before September/October? Not counting on that being likely that service is restored before then at the earliest, but you never know.

Just to be clear, the CONO came through my small town only once that I know of. I don’t have any knowledge of what route they have taken in all the other days.

About the employees (crew) staying in a New Orleans’ hotel, I kind of doubt that would be the case. The CONO is a New Orleans based train. Nearly all of the crew members that I have spoken with are New Orleans area natives. A few moved to NOL for the job, mostly from surrounding locations. I would assume that they just go home.

The busitution situation caused me to change stations, BRH (Brookhaven) to Jackson just this past Tuesday. (To connect to the #3/SWC, CHI-LAX, which I’m on right now.) I have taken the CONO dozens of times in the past 4 years, when I switched from flying to Amtrak.

One of the Jackson station agents told me on Tuesday that they were told that the Bonnet Carré Spillway was going to be closed in two days. That would have been today. But....Mother Nature obviously had other plans!

WWL reported stated 126 Bonet spillways open. As well the Atchafalaya spillway is partially open or was ?
The Bonnet Carré Spillway has been open quite a lot this Spring/Summer. It is wrecking havoc with the ecology of the Mississippi Sound: dead dolphins, ruined oysters, toxic algae blooms, etc. As the Bird Foot delta lengthens, it will only get worse. If they are going to channelize the River this way, they need more upstream retention.

Back