#1 Sunset Limited delayed (7/2/19)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iliketrains

Lead Service Attendant
I'm following Train #1 Sunset Limited closely since I'm planning a trip on the route. It appears to be significantly delayed. It appears that it didn't leave San Antonio at 2:45am this morning like it should have. It appears it's still in San Antonio. I've searched the internet and found no news. My curiosity is getting the best of me. I wonder what's happening.

Bridge fire at Dryden, Texas (just east of Sanderson, I believe) so passengers are presently being bused between San Antonio and El Paso. I believe this is supposed to last for a week or so until the bridge is repaired and reopened.

Say it isn't so!!!
Bridge fire at Dryden, Texas (just east of Sanderson, I believe) so passengers are presently being bused between San Antonio and El Paso. I believe this is supposed to last for a week or so until the bridge is repaired and reopened.

How do you know it's supposed to last a week or so? I'm trying to determine if the service disruption will fall into my travel period.

Notice lately Amtrak seem to have an aversion to detouring, a bus bridge must be cheaper. Its been a while but the SL has taken the BNSF( then SF) from Rosenberg to Temple to Sweetwater to El Paso.

There is a Union Pacific bulletin issued July 1 which says the bridge is supposed to reopen "later this week."

Thank You!!

Notice lately Amtrak seem to have an aversion to detouring, a bus bridge must be cheaper. Its been a while but the SL has taken the BNSF( then SF) from Rosenberg to Temple to Sweetwater to El Paso.

I would rather a detour than a bus!

I am booked on tomorrow's 422 from Los Angeles to Chicago and so I spoke with Amtrak about this. They say that the bus bridge was only in effect for train 1 / 2 as specifically mentioned on their Twitter feed and that subsequent services should operate normally throughout. I also spoke with UP earlier today and their current ETA for the bridge to reopen to traffic was later today. None of this should be taken as gospel as things can and do change.

Yes it's only for Trains 1 and 2 but if you have reservations for 421/422 you must leave 421/422 to get on a bus then get back on a train. Not a fun thing to do. So hopefully your right and the bridge re-opens today. I did notice that bookings are being allowed as if the service will not be interrupted. It's not Amtrak's fault the bridge has problems and I thank them for ensuring I will be safe. I hope they give me sufficient notice if a significant portion of my trip is on a bus! I would probably cancel and get a refund. I'm not too interested in a bus trip. Now a re-route of the train sounds like a winner!

Last edited:
Yippeee!! No bus bridge today. I’m glad about that. Now let’s see if the earthquake that happened this morning in San Bernardino County will interrupt services. The Sunset Limited stops in Ontario which is in the county. Because it’s so close to the end of the line a bus substitute for the train would be a short ride.

Yippeee!! No bus bridge today. I’m glad about that. Now let’s see if the earthquake that happened this morning in San Bernardino County will interrupt services. The Sunset Limited stops in Ontario which is in the county. Because it’s so close to the end of the line a bus substitute for the train would be a short ride.
Unlikely, I would think. San Bernardino County is the largest county in the United States and the epicenter of the quake was about 100 miles away from Ontario. And the route of the Sunset generally passes nowhere near the epicenter.

The SW Chief comes much closer to the epicenter.

Back